Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power Wedge II won't go down

abuehler51

Hey all,

I have a 2016 Malibu 23LSV. Last weekend when I had the boat I noticed that the power wedge wouldn't go down at all- its stuck at the Stow position. The debug screen reads 3.56 volts and 200 when at the stow position- hitting the + button on the debug screen produces a whine in the actuator but no actual movement of the wedge (probably because it is already all the way up, I assume) but pressing the - button produces nothing- no sound from the actuator, no clicking from the relay. Based on the tons of research that I did across this forum I assumed it was a relay problem so I ordered a new one and tried to install it myself- when I did that all I got was a clicking noise from the relay when pressing the - and + buttons, no noise from the actuator at all. I put the old one back in and same issues as before. A few other notes:

Initially I was not getting any message about "check wedge cal" on the screen until I started messing with the +/- controls on the debug screen, now it keeps popping up all the time. 

I removed the wedge sensor and played with the bolt setting, it was reading the changes in voltage when moving the bolt. I turned it back to the 3.5-3.6 volt range and screwed the sensor back on. 

All wires coming from the actuator in the boat seemed to be in good condition, no cuts or exposed wire. Did not notice any loose bolts and the actuator pin seems to be fine. 

Any suggestions? Could it be the actuator itself? I'm just not sure because it is making noise when hitting the + button on debug. Could a faulty viper I/O module be a cause of this? Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

It is possible to have a faulty I/O module, but it is not common.  That being said, in 2016 Malibu had a service advisory for issues with Malibu and Axis IO Modules (MY16.SB01.JUL23) for HIN xxxx4525L416-xxxx6478G516.  It was recommended to Replace Version 1.0 REV A modules with Version 1.7 REV B or REV C (P/N 3962060).  The version number is available on the settings System Diagnostics screen, at the bottom.

• Like 1

The part number and revision tag is on the I/O module, but version 1.7 modules do not require replacement, according to the bulletin. 

The wires for the wedge relay drivers from the I/O module are pin 28 white/yellow for wedge up and pin 29 blue/red for wedge down.

abuehler51

Do you anticipate that the blue/red is at fault for the issue? Getting power when hitting the + on debug means that the issue isn't likely with a bad ground or issues with power coming from the battery/40A breaker, correct? I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to electronics, just trying to narrow things down here. And why do you think I was getting a clicking noise from the new relay when hitting the +/- button on debug? Seems weird that it made a click with the - button on the new relay but no noise with the old one. Thanks!

There could be a power source or ground issue.  Checking the cable connections from the battery to the engine block and power distribution post is the first thing I do when there is an electrical problem.  The breaker connections for the relay box should also be checked. 

abuehler51

Got the voltmeter out and tested a few things (or at least the ones that I knew how to). Batteries are good, the voltage at the 40A breaker is good (matches voltage of the batteries), and the ground coming from the relay is good. How would you go about testing the voltage of the white/yellow and blue/red wires? Not very knowledgeable when it comes to something like that. Also figured out how to manually release the wedge, I put it all the way down and was able to get it to raise up via the debug screen, still wouldn’t respond when hitting the - button. Not sure if this helps with anything, but it seems like the actuator is functioning when it comes to raising it. TIA 

Using a backprobe testing pin on the loaded side of the connector (where the wires go into the connector) would be the best way to check for voltage on the white/yellow wire while attempting to raise the wedge up.

abuehler51

Both the white/yellow and blue/red read 12V when doing backprobe. I tested them on both ends of the connector that comes out from the relay, and I tested them on the connector that inserts into the I/O module. All give a reading somewhere in the 12V range. I also tested the blue and green wires that come directly from the actuator into the boat and plug into the relay connector. Green would give me voltage readings when doing +/- but blue gave me nothing. Not sure if the blue/green readings help with anything. 

abuehler51

Also I put the new relay back in, realized there was some extra ground cables that needed to be mounted (they weren’t on the old one, the new relay has 2 grounds per actuator, so 6 total including the surf gates). Getting power when hitting the + on debug, but now I’m hearing an actual click in the relay when hitting -, and was getting a voltage drop in the beginning (screens started dimming when hitting the button) but still no movement/noise from the actuator