Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Exhaust Manifold HELP!!!!

Hello

New to the forum and in desperate need of help. Last year about this time I purchased a 2009 Malibu Wakesetter 247LSV. Instantly the family and I fell in love with it due to its size and features. I took the boat in to get serviced and found out the port side exhaust manifold had a crack in it. The service shop did a pressure test and it was dumping water. I searched everywhere and could not find another manifold here in states. I branched out and contacted Indmar Marine in Australia and found they had several in stock. I quickly purchased 1 and waited over 8 weeks for DHL to get it through customs and delivered to my door step. The new manifold was installed and we were able to take the boat out again 4 more times before we got struck with a catastrophic failure. The motor let go, apparently spinning bearings and even developing a crack in the block. I paid for Jaspers Motors to build me a brand new motor and had it installed. After the service shop took the boat out to do water testes, they discovered that there is water on the O2 sensor on the port side. The new exhaust manifold again with 4 runs on it supposedly developed a crack as well. The exhaust manifold was removed and pressure tested as well. This time it held air pressure at 15psi and water pressure at 40psi or what ever the pressure is that comes from your garden hose. There wasn't a leak. After installing it again and starting the motor, after it would heat up, water would start to come from the O2 port again on the Port side manifold. So my mechanic is assuming that when the manifold heats up, the cast aluminum expands and allows water through. Unfortunately there is no way to test it off the boat at operating temperature. Due to a Nationwide shortage, we are having zero luck locating another manifold and facing a year of no boating. I was told that they use the same manifold on different boats but unfortunately Indmar does not have a cross reference for what other boat manufactures those are. We are desperately searching everywhere for a new or even used one that might be sitting on a motor at a salvage yard. Has anyone heard what other boats these may come on? Do they make aftermarket or performance headers that I can replace the stock ones with? The Indmar part# is 531401HL. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

You could consider a stainless manifold set.  You can get them with cats installed.

PM me for details if you are interested.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, justgary said:

You could consider a stainless manifold set.  You can get them with cats installed.

PM me for details if you are interested.

I would second this choice. 

Robrome313

What area are you in lsvkev?  I recently had to replace both manifolds on my 2008.  Pretty much same issues.  Have some resources I used to get some.   I have my one one that believe still works and you can use while you get a new one ordered.  Also, did you install the hose bypass kit?  Critical to keep these from overheating on you.  

Hello Robrome313. I'm a little north of Sacramento in Loomis. I'm sorry to hear that. Yeah seems to be a common problem. I also heard that the new ones that are going out are having issues as well. Brother, I really do appreciate the kind gesture. I do have the new bypass cooling kit installed. The last one purchased didn't make it past 4 trips to the lake. I'm definitely going to place an order with Justgary on the stainless steel with cats manifolds. Would be nice to know this would never happen again. Would you like a deposit for using yours?

• 2 months later...
Kallemmccoy

I have the whole set up off a 2020 axis boat. My husband only needed the engine. If you still need parts email me and I can send picts.

• 4 weeks later...

I too am trying to get my hands on this port side exhaust manifold. Can somebody here direct me on finding a stainless steel alternative?  Indmar part number on my cracked aluminum is 531401HL

thanks

scott

On 7/29/2023 at 10:23 PM, Kallemmccoy said:

I have the whole set up off a 2020 axis boat. My husband only needed the engine. If you still need parts email me and I can send picts.

Hey do you still have these parts ? If so Id be interested to see a photo and to purchase them from you.

Thanks