Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wireless charger installed but not working

Hi folks - my 2022 shipped without wireless phone charger last year but dealer got it installed over winter. Got boat back and charger doesn't work with my iPhone. Design is very odd as it is indented in middle where one would expect to contact phone. I took cover off phone and no dice. Love any tips to check as I don't want to lose time on water by taking to dealer. Thank you.

FYI looked at Axis Manual and it goes on to say it might not charge every phone and to refer to separate instructions on more details which I never got. If this doesnt work on modern iPhone it would be a big fail.

Edited by TommyTuna

Just had mine installed on my 2022 last week. It does not work on my phone but does on my sons. Kind of regret doing it. Its harder to open need 2 hands and is super tight.

ahopkins22LSV
38 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Remove any cases and test again.

I’ve tried my iPhone 14 with and without the case and in all orientations in the holder, and the pocket behind the throttle and nothing works. No does my new SE work phone. It’s not a huge deal for us, but would be a nice convenience. I have it on the list for the dealer to look later.

I have three in my boat and removing my phone case never worked. Only one that works is the one at the helm. The one in the glove compartment has never worked, the one in the cubby at the throttle works if I take it out of the gator step material and directly put it to my phone. It’s almost like the gator step material is too thick.  

The wireless charging is a total joke, just like the stereos in these boats. 

Edited by dwc032

I just has wireless charging installed in my boat after waiting for quite a while, however it doesnt' work at all!

The design seems to be fundamentally flawed, I can only assume that the coils are in the center of the charger, and the holder holds the phones about 1cm away from the suspected location of the charging coils which will never work.  I've tried several different phones all with their cases off, and no luck

6.jpg

Has anyone had any of these work??

CopperDave

I have the Malibu design but my helm charger has never worked. Also tried different phones, case on and off. Had the dealer check it twice and i finally gave up on it. The one in the glove box and the cubby hole under the throttle work ok when the phone is in just the right spot. 

• 11 months later...

I'm so frustrated with the wireless charger design. In this day and age this should just work.   I agree 110% the design is flawed on Axis.  Any larger phone will sit atleast 0.25" off the middle charging pad due to the side padding in the cradles. I use nav charting software on my Iphone and have had to run a cord around the steering wheel as a hack.  I got it to work a few times by fluke after serious fidgeting and pushing on the phone. We have Iphone 13 and Iphone 15s in the family and results are similar across all of them with or without a case on. 

Everytime i've complained to dealer, they say their tech was able to charge their phone. Finally i asked what type of phone the tech had and they said it was a very old samsung - guessing a super narrow one that aligns to that sweet spot.

Surely Axis must be doing something about this?

Been doing some more research and looks like the Axis 2024 charger is redesigned with a flush charge pad backer. This looks like it would fix the silly air gap that exists in the 2022/2023 design with a bigger phone. Asking dealer to get this retrofited

spacer.png

This an example of something everyone said they wanted so Malibu did it. They wont/arent worried about fixing this. They had such a difficult time even getting the parts that for awhile (possibly still) you couldnt even order the option.

Its a bad design. 

Its also a first world problem.

:lol:

dizzygti
1 hour ago, TommyTuna said:

Been doing some more research and looks like the Axis 2024 charger is redesigned with a flush charge pad backer. This looks like it would fix the silly air gap that exists in the 2022/2023 design with a bigger phone. Asking dealer to get this retrofited

Parts are on the website.....but no details.

https://www.malibuparts.com/pages/search?query=wireless

The "cradle" in my 2023 is crap, just a piece of plastic that doesn't fit any modern phone, would love to replace with what should have been there to start with.   

Edited by dizzygti

I wonder if you can pop a small MagSafe charge pad into the recessed center of existing charge pad. Drill small hole to pass the usb C through