Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What boat to buy ... I'm lost.

sidekicknicholas

2 minutes ago, wdr said:

Had to pass on the show this year. The only reason I would have gone down was to look at a 26 LSV which I am sure TNT didn’t have. If you hadn’t been shown it yet, the rear access panel over the VD has captured pins. Just push them both to port and the whole panel pulls out. Made it super easy to access down there. Good luck with the new boat. 

They did have a 26 no price listed. I didn't ask.

On 1/7/2023 at 9:29 AM, IXFE said:

Does your new boat have a 17" prop? If so, I think that’s new for Supra, right?

My issue with Supra / Moomba is they are soooo slow to update their powertrains. They are still running Ford Indmar (my least favorite inboard motor) and until very recently were still running 15" props with 1.5:1 transmissions.  I think they finally updated the transmission to 1.76:1 just this year.

Malibu was on that transmission back in 2016 and has been on 2:1 with 17" props since 2017 (in the 25 LSV) and 2021 (in 23 LSV).

On 1/7/2023 at 10:59 AM, dalt1 said:

Yes and Yes. 17" props and 1.7:1 transmisions. Plus I have the ford in my current LSV so familiar with it too. To be honest, if I loved my dealer, I would have probably never had the wandering eye. Since then, I looked at Centurions and Supras. As I said, Supra interiors blow both of them away in my opinion. Time will tell!

I miss spoke there. The Transmission is 1.76:1 but prop is going to be 16.00" x 17.00 Acme 3499 Not 17"

Edited by dalt1
  • 2 months later...

Breathing some life into this thread … I think we’ve zero’d in on a few boats but am completely lost on which way to go.  I’ve bought a boat lift, so am ready for whatever comes so long as it fits the Floe 8k VSD and a 30’ Maxis canopy…. So other than a Ri265, G25Paragon, or M240 I should be covered.   Budget seems to have settled in around $130 +/-  … with that said here are the front runners

* New Axis A24 Or New T250 … I think probably the A24 but there happens to be a T250 at my local dealer that is basically exactly how I would spec it.  Looks like we would be in the $115-$120k range.  Problem is my wife really doesn’t like the sun deck / transom drop off…. The T250 is basically a 36”  “wall” and the lack of bow to stern walkthrough.

* Used (2016-17) Nautique G25 …. A few local options, $115-$140k range and 250-300 hours.  Just scares the s*** out of me to drop that much money on something without a warranty but its my wife’s favorite.  I don’t really care about the new screen on the ‘17, just so long as we have the 2016+ hull.  Cheapest and closest option here is a great spec, great service records, and new trailer which makes me feel a bit better about it all.

* Used 2019-20 Malibu 25 LSV …. Two local options, $140k range with ~200 hours.  The extras over the Axis are sort of lost on me, but I would imagine its re-sale is stronger because of the name and it has seen a chunk of depreciation already.  My wife loves the swim platform seat/step but like the Axis doesn’t love the bow isn’t a walkthrough.  I think this would be the compromise between us, but leave us both a bit unhappy, so probably less of a real option.

* New Centurion Ri230 … Local dealer happens to have a leftover 2022 in the EXACT spec we would do if we designed one.  They’re offering 30%+ discount and free storage for five years.  It seems like a great boat, but compared to the size of the others certainly feels smaller.  Price OTD is like $160k.

We’re at a stalemate between my wife and I.  If it was unilateral decision making I go Axis, she goes G25….. Where I’m stuck is that we have a single income household (me), and we have one member of the household who actually wakeboards / surfs / skis (me).  I’ve been married long enough to know better than to just say those two things, but not married long enough to not care about the consequences.   I’m sorta hoping I drag my feel long enough to miss some of the used ones and our hand is forced on a New Axis.

I would personally way rather have a new boat with warranty. It maybe isn’t the latest greatest thing, but every hour it is on the water in use while a used one may be in repairs is priceless. Not sure where you live, but our season is short in North Idaho and every day counts. Obviously new boats have issues too, but less likely to have something major. Tough, I know, and in the end you have to keep mama happy. 

Those Axai (plural for Axis?) are a great deal compared to my local market. 

just a thought

Didn’t the G25 get another new hull around 2020 or 2021?  I get the G is well put together, etc, but a used one of that vintage vs your other options would be the first I would pass on.   And I am not a G hater - I spend a lot of time on buddy’s G25 and love it overall.  

5 minutes ago, CDAWake said:

I would personally way rather have a new boat with warranty. It maybe isn’t the latest greatest thing, but every hour it is on the water in use while a used one may be in repairs is priceless. Not sure where you live, but our season is short in North Idaho and every day counts. Obviously new boats have issues too, but less likely to have something major. Tough, I know, and in the end you have to keep mama happy. 

Thats where my head is at too.  The piece of mind of some warranty since I'm not paying cash is a big factor to me.  Maybe the benefit of the used out of warranty boat is I am free to service it myself / take it wherever vs. being locked into the selling dealer to maintain my warranty.  There are NO close inboard dealers, so when they're all inconvenient, none are I guess.  

6 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Didn’t the G25 get another new hull around 2020 or 2021?  I get the G is well put together, etc, but a used one of that vintage vs your other options would be the first I would pass on.   And I am not a G hater - I spend a lot of time on buddy’s G25 and love it overall.  

It did... but that change is outside my budget and I think just adds some additional ballast options.  Looks like 16+ is the sweet spot to avoid some spray issues and better surf wave.  New is obviously better, but I should hope so for an extra $100k

I may be the opposite here but since new is never in my budget, I agressively shop used boats and look for those with excellent service history and owners who are ocd about keeping a clean boat. Then I also try to find that same guy who is in a bind, moving or has to get rid of boat asap for whatever reason. If the G checks all the boxes and has great records then go for it. All these boats are nice at this point and its more or less just personal preference. New is nice, but my local dealers wont give me a decent enough discount for repeat purchasing so I just go find my own deals and make it happen. You got a lift stuff a boat in it and get out on the water!

• Like 3
10 hours ago, sidekicknicholas said:

Breathing some life into this thread … I think we’ve zero’d in on a few boats but am completely lost on which way to go.  I’ve bought a boat lift, so am ready for whatever comes so long as it fits the Floe 8k VSD and a 30’ Maxis canopy…. So other than a Ri265, G25Paragon, or M240 I should be covered.   Budget seems to have settled in around $130 +/-  … with that said here are the front runners

* New Axis A24 Or New T250 … I think probably the A24 but there happens to be a T250 at my local dealer that is basically exactly how I would spec it.  Looks like we would be in the $115-$120k range.  Problem is my wife really doesn’t like the sun deck / transom drop off…. The T250 is basically a 36”  “wall” and the lack of bow to stern walkthrough.

* Used (2016-17) Nautique G25 …. A few local options, $115-$140k range and 250-300 hours.  Just scares the s*** out of me to drop that much money on something without a warranty but its my wife’s favorite.  I don’t really care about the new screen on the ‘17, just so long as we have the 2016+ hull.  Cheapest and closest option here is a great spec, great service records, and new trailer which makes me feel a bit better about it all.

* Used 2019-20 Malibu 25 LSV …. Two local options, $140k range with ~200 hours.  The extras over the Axis are sort of lost on me, but I would imagine its re-sale is stronger because of the name and it has seen a chunk of depreciation already.  My wife loves the swim platform seat/step but like the Axis doesn’t love the bow isn’t a walkthrough.  I think this would be the compromise between us, but leave us both a bit unhappy, so probably less of a real option.

* New Centurion Ri230 … Local dealer happens to have a leftover 2022 in the EXACT spec we would do if we designed one.  They’re offering 30%+ discount and free storage for five years.  It seems like a great boat, but compared to the size of the others certainly feels smaller.  Price OTD is like $160k.

We’re at a stalemate between my wife and I.  If it was unilateral decision making I go Axis, she goes G25….. Where I’m stuck is that we have a single income household (me), and we have one member of the household who actually wakeboards / surfs / skis (me).  I’ve been married long enough to know better than to just say those two things, but not married long enough to not care about the consequences.   I’m sorta hoping I drag my feel long enough to miss some of the used ones and our hand is forced on a New Axis.

otd  160 on a new with warranty 22 230 is excellent,  328 hours in 16 months,  luv this boat snd cant say enough about its wake and wave performance as well as how fun to drive it is, it will most definitely out surf every boat you have discussed in this thread .  im guessing it has a 450 ho motor at that price.  i have been stupid satisfied with the boats reliability.  only one thing went wrong and it never stopped making waves or even hinted of not running.  dealer fixed it in 2 hours. 

also by far the best rough water ride of any boat you listed  which may not be an issue for you but it unlocked a very big lake here in new orleans for us that most wake boats would not be much fun on it 

On 3/26/2023 at 10:24 AM, sidekicknicholas said:

This

• Like 1
On 3/26/2023 at 11:24 AM, sidekicknicholas said:

Not much of Centurion guy - but if that is rack storage, that alone is 16-20k in value....

Second of your choices would be a new T250.  Just a massive surf machine with a ton of space and storage.  I do agree with the massive 'step down' and how that could be even harder for the little ones.

• Like 2

For what it's worth - I just went through the process of looking at used Malibu vs New Axis.  I wanted 25 so that was a must.  We just got a T250 today.  I have not had it on the water but if you have q's on build, price, etc.  Let me know.  You can email me at [email protected].  I was going back and forth in my head and with the help of a lot of folks on here and FB Malibu page.  For me came down to having a 5 year warranty and I feel like I got a great deal on a 2022 New Axis on the boat before month end.  

• Like 1

If it was me in a vacuum I would have already pulled the trigger on an Axis A24/T250 but my wife is shockingly against them.  My only grip was the driver seat swivel sucks in the way it hit the gunnel and throttle. 

We planned to make an offer on a 2019 Supra SE450 Wednesday, but when I called to make the offer it already had money down on it, so tossed an offer out on a 2016 G25 yesterday.  We'll see if the buyer bites (it was a brokerage boat), if not I'll start pushing a bit harder for Axis.  A nearby dealer did also just get a 25 LSV in on trade and was asking like $140k... I think that might be a good option too, but waiting to see the build sheet / photos.

I did load up on goodies from The House going out of business a couple of weeks ago.  I've got lines, anchors, bumpers, boat lift, canopy .... only thing I'm missing is the boat now.

Edited by sidekicknicholas
6 hours ago, sidekicknicholas said:

If it was me in a vacuum I would have already pulled the trigger on an Axis A24/T250 but my wife is shockingly against them.  My only grip was the driver seat swivel sucks in the way it hit the gunnel and throttle. 

We planned to make an offer on a 2019 Supra SE450 Wednesday, but when I called to make the offer it already had money down on it, so tossed an offer out on a 2016 G25 yesterday.  We'll see if the buyer bites (it was a brokerage boat), if not I'll start pushing a bit harder for Axis.  A nearby dealer did also just get a 25 LSV in on trade and was asking like $140k... I think that might be a good option too, but waiting to see the build sheet / photos.

I did load up on goodies from The House going out of business a couple of weeks ago.  I've got lines, anchors, bumpers, boat lift, canopy .... only thing I'm missing is the boat now.

Wish I had known house was going out of business. They are wiped out. Supra SE is a great boat. I spend a lot of time on my buddies. SA and andSL are also great boats. Have friends with those too. All 3 are great surfing boats.

On 3/30/2023 at 6:59 AM, sidekicknicholas said:

This is curable with a seat riser from uptice. 

Just to offer our opinion as we went through a similar process last year. Ended up buying a new T220 and love it. The peace of mind with  the warranty for the next few years was enough for us. We actually prefer the sundeck on the stern vs anything with a walkthrough. After a few hours of cruising/surfing everyone seems to congregate on the large pad, it’s big enough to lay dow and soak up some sun after a long ride too. I also felt that the new Axis offered the same or better surfing systems and experience as a 3-4 year old Malibu for the same price. Recently picked our boat up from the dealer after getting it serviced for the spring here and told my wife that it felt great leaving after looking at some of the newer boats still loving ours.

• Like 4
On 3/31/2023 at 11:23 AM, granddaddy55 said:

@sidekicknicholas

have you demoed any of these new or used offerings?  i would demo that 230 with a crew that you think is so small

Not yet.  Everything is still frozen around here.

... as far as size though, not sure sitting in a boat on the water vs. show room helps it get larger.  I think the biggest issue is we have been comparing the Ri230 to 24-25' boats, it not necessarily that it feels smaller, it just is smaller.

G25 offer was rejected and the seller didn't really budge, so not sure we're going to make that work.  We had another offer on a different SE Supra, but when they turned over the service records I ran fast.  Looks like the thing almost sunk at one point in its life... the search continues. 

• 4 weeks later...