Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

‘99 Response LX ski locker compartment question

LedNJerry

I’m looking at buying a 1999 Response LX. I thought it had a ski locker in the rear, but when I opened it up I found the fuel tank staring right at me. It didn’t look like there was much room above it either. My question is, did this model year come like that or is there supposed to be some compartment/cover on top over the tank? It was so high up I don’t think a ski would fit on top with the lid closed anyway.

The fuel fill was also in the middle on the back. When I look at photos of a ‘99 Response, it usually shows the fuel fill on the side and the rear lid is a bit bigger. Something’s not making sense to me so I’m hoping those of you more familiar with the model can help properly identify what’s going on or if it’s some other model. 

I'm not sure about the Response, but the Sunsetter LX of that year has a bench seat bottom that can be lifted up to make a sun pad, and the seat back is hinged to provide access to the storage area above the tank.  The tank comes just less than half way up the space behind the seat.  I'll see if I can find a photo with mine open.

To post a photo, either pay for a membership or post your photo on a hosting site and link it here using the "Other Media" menu.

@LedNJerry - If you are opening a hatch from above the tank, that should be equipped with a trunk.  If you are lifting the seat back, aka how the '98 is configured, that is not a locker per se (unless you make it one).  I found a '98 brochure, no rear ski locker on that one, and I also found a 2001 and that does have a top pad and ski locker.  Sorry to say I can only add a big maybe with the info I have.  There used to be brochures on this site IIRC.

99 was the first year of the locker.  When you lift the lid, there should be about 8-10 inches of depth down to a carpeted panel that rests atop the fuel tank.  The fill up should be on the starboard side.  Got a picture by chance?