Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Refused servicing

DanK

Hey Gang. I'm not sure if any of you experienced this. This past spring, i had the opportunity to make a private sale of my 2014 VTX. I obviously didn't want to go through the summer without a boat. I love the VTX and that's the boat i wanted.  My local dealer in Canada had no inventory to sell me so i was able to find a new VTX in Florida. Given I have a residence in Florida, i was legitimately able to buy it. I imported the new boat into Canada but when i took it to my local dealer at the end of the season, he refused to service me because i didn't buy my new boat there even though i was a customer with them for 6 years with my previous boat. Basically, they were upset i didn't buy a boat from them which they never had available to sell me.  I contacted  Malibu corporate office and explained my situation in detail, and they basically told me they couldn't help me. Forget the fact that Malibu doesn't honor a warranty outside the country you purchased your boat (God forbid you move to anothercountry), but the fact that an authorized dealer refuses to service me and the corporate office washes their hands of it is mind boggling. Here's the kicker......the local Nautique dealer is prepared to service my Malibu boat. Imagine buying a BMW and taking it to a different dealer for servicing but they refuse you, but then the Audi dealer accepts to service your BMW. This has to be the craziest service policy i have ever heard of. Any thoughts? 

Thanks

Dan

My mom had the same thing happen with a car.  Local dealer would not service it as she bought it elsewhere.  Imho if a dealer wants to be that petty, I would never do business with them again.  

i completely understand dealers turning down work on older or obsolete boats as they are becoming hard to get parts.  Also they can easily cost more than the worth to fix. 

• Like 1

Sounds like they don’t want your money. Not a great business call. 

Edited by FSSPCat
Poor wording.
  • Like 2

I dont know what part of Canada you're in but malibu has hardest time in BC/Alberta since they lost wizard. From what I've heard big things are coming soon. 

Wizard or lake house will take care of you no problem. If your new boat is indmar shouldn't have a problem doing engine warranty work with them. 

The whole out of country warranty thing is crazy. I have so many friends who use thier boats in the states and Canada working with 2 different dealers for warranty. 

Fwiw, I don’t think the out of warranty/country stipulation is unique to Malibu. A few years back I was looking at a used Grand Cherokee. It was purchased in Canada originally, and because of that, the warranty was non-transferable. 

For service, I’d try to find out out who the technicians are for your local dealerships. Reach out to them directly and see if they do “side jobs”. I know that happens in my area, and you get quality work at a much lower than dealer price. 

34 minutes ago, mxmark4 said:

Time to pack it up and move to Florida while you can.

Why not?  About half of Canada and all of Michigan is set to move down here for the winter anyway.  Keeps our taxes crazy low.

• Like 1

Yes interesting business model to say the least.  Why on earth would any sane person turn a customer away knowing they probably would never do business with them again and more than likely tell all their friends and family.  Just curious why you are not mentioning any names 🧐

I certainly see prioritizing service to units sold at that dealer, but not offering service to anything else is definitely weird. Maybe they simply don't have the staff to keep up? Doesn't service comprise a huge income potential over a long period of time for any dealer/boat service? 

Back in the day I remember the small top 3 dealers in the area all specialized in service, service, service and got so many people to buy in. Great discussion.

Steve B.

24 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

I certainly see prioritizing service to units sold at that dealer, but not offering service to anything else is definitely weird. Maybe they simply don't have the staff to keep up? Doesn't service comprise a huge income potential over a long period of time for any dealer/boat service? 

Back in the day I remember the small top 3 dealers in the area all specialized in service, service, service and got so many people to buy in. Great discussion.

Steve B.

There is a huge Ford dealer around here that is or was the same way.  Wouldn't touch anything they didn't sell (or they make it nearly impossible anyways).   I can understand not wanting to do warranty work, but yearly service and winterization has to be a cash cow.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2
51 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

Steve B.

Just adding a side note regarding providing service. After I retire I'd like to work part time at our local huge dealers service department. 

OtherBoatisaCessna

My Malibu dealer is pissed at me because I didn’t buy my boat through them, and they are threatening me to not service it either.  All within the US.  Like you, I gave them every opportunity to sell me a boat and they’re mad I didn’t buy a boat they couldn’t sell me.  We’ll see what happens when it actually needs work, but I couldn’t be less impressed.  I pointed out that they should consider acting like they want to sell me my *next* boat because the way it’s going, they probably won’t.  

I've heard of this in spots before, but wonder if its more prevalent position these days --  over the past couple years dealers have been able to sell every boat in a heartbeat and the service depts have been buzzing at full capacity.  So they can afford to be choosy...for now...will be interesting to see what happens this spring if things slow down significantly.

Just curious, were they apologetic about it, or were they jerks?

I ask because I would never turn a customer away....unless I was so busy, and so unable to hire quality technicians, or unable to expand my footprint that I truly couldn't offer my limited service capacity to any new customers. My current customers are waiting months. I literally cannot keep the customers happy that I have at present. Kind of like a doctor's office does. When the dance card is full, you gotta turn people away.

I've never been in this position, but I can understand how that can happen.

If their service bays are ever open, that's completely unacceptable. The guy is a business jerk, and I'd try to do anything in order to avoid him. 

OtherBoatisaCessna

Not OP, but in my case, I think they're legitimately pretty damn busy, but that doesn't excuse the attitude they gave me and the lack of professionalism, or frankly, the idle threats they made to blow up my deal.  And on that front, it should be noted that mine wasn't a new boat purchase.

I recognize that everyone has been in a weird position business-wise over the last few years, but long term, if they can't expand, can't retain people, or otherwise just can't support Malibu owners in their marketplace regardless of where they bought their boats, Malibu corporate should be seriously considering finding different dealers to represent them.  It's bad for Malibu as a whole when their dealers act like this.  

Edited by OtherBoatisaCessna

I have bought both of my malibus from outside of my local dealer (Active Water Sports, Oregon City).  They have never refused servicing either of my boats.  In fact they have gone through great lengths to keep my boats running even without me buying from them originally.  They offer a 10% discount on services to people who buy their boats from them, they've even given me similar discounts because they know I live close to 2 hours away.  I tip in cases of beer and am glad to give them the business and forward all of my friends to do business with them also.  There are awesome dealers out there.  If they lost the Malibu line I would probably convert to whatever they picked up on my next purchase.  If I were you I'd use that nautique dealer and convert to that brand at my next convenience.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, PNWoke said:

I tip in cases of beer 

I too subscribe to this model. When I first got my boat I called a place that services inboards down the street and asked if they could pull the hours off my boat, since the meter was not working. The tech said... "well, the shop rate is $125.. so I'm not sure really what to charge." I said, I'll be by with a 12 pack of cold beer in about 15 minutes. He laughed and said... Come on!

I can also throw away nuclear waste at the curb if needed. Just leave a 12 pack out with whatever needs to go with the regular trash... and it's gone. :salute:

• Haha 2

My Local  ( just down the street) Malibu dealer told me my Boat was too old for them to work on ( 1992 Maybe they have never seen a carburetor before).

The new Tige dealer in town said schedule it and we will do the service. The mechanic here started in the industry with Carbureted Marine craft.

Just My Luck 

3 hours ago, PNWoke said:

I have bought both of my malibus from outside of my local dealer (Active Water Sports, Oregon City).  They have never refused servicing either of my boats.  In fact they have gone through great lengths to keep my boats running even without me buying from them originally.  They offer a 10% discount on services to people who buy their boats from them, they've even given me similar discounts because they know I live close to 2 hours away.  I tip in cases of beer and am glad to give them the business and forward all of my friends to do business with them also.  There are awesome dealers out there.  If they lost the Malibu line I would probably convert to whatever they picked up on my next purchase.  If I were you I'd use that nautique dealer and convert to that brand at my next convenience.

We are so spoiled, and the AWS business model works so well.

Don’t forget the donuts for early morning drop-offs too.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Rack said:

My Local  ( just down the street) Malibu dealer told me my Boat was too old for them to work on ( 1992 Maybe they have never seen a carburetor before).

The new Tige dealer in town said schedule it and we will do the service. The mechanic here started in the industry with Carbureted Marine craft.

Just My Luck 

Pretty common, lots of dealers wont work on old boats. Some even have a 10yr rule. Very few here in town will work on a boat older than 15yrs. 

6 minutes ago, COOP said:

Pretty common, lots of dealers wont work on old boats. Some even have a 10yr rule. Very few here in town will work on a boat older than 15yrs. 

Might be common,  but sad in my opinion. If I were younger I would seriously consider opening a boat repair shop. All paying customers would be welcome. 

6 hours ago, Murphys said:

Might be common,  but sad in my opinion. If I were younger I would seriously consider opening a boat repair shop. All paying customers would be welcome. 

Problem is that if you show up with something that is impossible to get parts for then it is sitting apart in the shop forever and potentially getting abandoned.  Same reason that most mechanics (with half a brain) won't work on a boat with a Cobra outdrive - they are not worth what it costs to fix one most of the time - if you can even get the parts.

• Like 3