Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

05 Sportster w/ Monsoon 340 - ECMs available?

Footskimmer

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, but about to buy an 05 sportster LX as I’m looking for a good barefoot boat. This one is EFI with the upgraded Monsoon 340. I’m hesitant on getting one with an ECM because I’ve heard stories of older boats with ECMs not able to be replaced.

had it checked out by a local mechanic and the timing was off (18) and should be ~10 at idle. He seems to think a tune up (plugs, wires, distributor cap) would get it back to proper timing but I’m just paranoid I buy the boat and it’s an ECM issue and I won’t be able to get the part. I don’t think this mechanic is used to working on malibus.

Anyone know what ECM the monsoon 340 needs and any opinion on this boat in general? Always wanted an EFI sportster but wondering if I should back out and go for one with a carb instead.

thanks in advance!

You are looking at a great barefoot boat.  ECM's can be a challenge to replace or reflash but there are some sources that can do it, you will have to do some searching if/when the time comes.  Is your local mechanic marine savvy, did he use a diacom (does he have one) and pin out the timing map to correctly check base timing?  There may not be anything wrong and timing is all good.  ECM is a Mefi 4 IIRC.  Do a Mefi search on this forum as a couple of owners have detailed mefi troubleshooting.

• Like 1