Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pro 750 project begins

WaveMake'nLSV

- I definitely like with better.

Dontknow.gif

I have my vent line all the way up under the rail. I did mess up by not staping my drain line up high and agree that putting a check valve on the drain would be bad, but what about on the vent line?

I would only use a check valve in a situation where water may be going in a direction you don't want - like back out thru the fill pump. The fill pump is way down below the filled vessel so has a high likelyhood of siphoning.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad B

• WaveMake'nLSV

• D-GOOSE

• chathamsolutions

You can see the 3/4" i.d. hose looping here.

This is the hose that comes from the drain pump.

It goes all the way up and around the fuel hose thru hull connection.

That pretty much makes it touch the top of the gunnel underside.

Yep thats the part I forgot to do. Cry.gif

How did you like it with the vent tube blocked off?

With the vent blocked off the sac would get alot of air in it and required more manipulation.

Funny thing - we forgot to plug the thru hull where the vent was - and we soon found out how much ours are underwater

So you saying that the bag will auto fill thru the vent? I certainly don't plan on plugging the vent. Maybe a one way vavle on the vent side is in order? <Think someone suggested that>

Funny thing - we forgot to plug the thru hull where the vent was - and we soon found out how much ours are underwater

No it would only fill when the sac is already filled - the sac weight makes the hull lower in the water and allows water to come in thru the thru hulls - but it take a lot of weight to reach that point.

And water going IN to the sac is not a problem - right?

Water won't go in when the sac is empty cuz the hull is higher

Thats kinda what I was thinking...auto fill on the surf side is a GOOD thing. Thumbup.gif

And water going IN to the sac is not a problem - right?

Water won't go in when the sac is empty cuz the hull is higher

I've been following this thread for a while and am hoping to do something similar on my vride. I understand that the water can potentially go back through the fill pump, but why doesn't it do it with the hard tank? Is there something in there that stops it?

With the tank, the fill hose is at the top and when you stop pumping their is an air pocket that lets allows the water to drain back into the fill hose with out sucking up water. With the bag the fill tube is still on top but resting on the water and when the water starts to drain back after shutting off the pump thats when the siphoning starts.

Pics of the wake with a 250lb bag up front, 300 MLS up front, rear 750 bags a little over half full and no wedge.

Whoa! That would be plenty of wake for me!

:blush: Thanks. Wait tell I have the pics of the surf wake next week. Thumbup.gif

Pics of the wake with a 250lb bag up front, 300 MLS up front, rear 750 bags a little over half full and no wedge.

Whoa! That would be plenty of wake for me!

:blush: Thanks. Wait tell I have the pics of the surf wake next week. Thumbup.gif

Looking forward to them. It'll still be a bit for us poor souls in MN. We had a nice melt last weekend but it's cooled off again now.

Finished the last of the pump (3- 1100gph fill) upgrade and put the loop in the rear bag drain line.

The front bag fill line was a little tuff because you have to go from the locker up under the dash to a T (one for vent, one back down to bag) and down into the locker again. Once in the locker I have to reduice the line from 1" (not like TX 1' line Crazy.gif ) to 3/4 hose. I have pics and will have to put them up tonight. Yahoo.gif

The pics are in my album for the 750 and 1100gph pump installs and I think the job came out vary clean and easy. I will have surfing and wake pics with in the next few days I could have taken a few short cuts but thats just not me.

I agree, tooooo big.

Here's a picture of my port side surfing wake:

(For those of you who went to Villa Logos last Oct. Jared was the guy who came up with me, the first one to pull off the slider. This is Jared's brother Ryan.)

- full tank of gas

- bow ballast

- center ballast

- Wedge

- 750lb locker full

VAB - two men, one woman and 6 kids

post-9-1174194307_thumb.jpg

Here's what it looked like with my friend on the starboard side:

Differences from above:

- CFO is waiting at the dock for us to return.

- skinny guy from above is in the boat instead of the man you see surfing. So a total weight difference in the boat of about 180lbs (+/-).

- He's also on a 6' regular surfboard vs. the Broadcast shown above.

post-9-1174194523_thumb.jpg

Jason was right. I lost about 3/4 of my 750lb sac IN the boat. The Fly-High disconnect came out and didn't realize it until there was water at the feet of the driver. That was a bummer vacumming up tonight. I need to do what Brad B did and get the better connections.

Nice pics!

My concern exactly...with the Fly High quick connects, the large 1/4 twist kind that come with the bag. I had it on my drain for a short time, never filled the bag with it. Was NOT confidence inspiring, so I replaced with something similar to Brad's deal.

Was your quick connect on the drain side down low?

Jason was right. I lost about 3/4 of my 750lb sac IN the boat. The Fly-High disconnect came out and didn't realize it until there was water at the feet of the driver. That was a bummer vacumming up tonight. I need to do what Brad B did and get the better connections.

Yep, it was the drain pump that came undone. I had it directly screwed into the pump.

Once I screwed it back on it was fine. I only had a problem with one of them, but I don't want that to happen again, so I'll fix that.

Ditto.

Seems like I used a 3/4" coupler and a male screw in fitting on each of my drain pump/bag connections. Am going to the boat either Mon or Wed to de-winterize Yahoo.gifYahoo.gifYahoo.gif

Plan on pulling it out and taking some photos.

Yep, it was the drain pump that came undone. I had it directly screwed into the pump.

Once I screwed it back on it was fine. I only had a problem with one of them, but I don't want that to happen again, so I'll fix that.

I have pics of my surf wake with the new set up (with out a seat 750 bag) and will not be posting them because it just was not as big.

I've found that for surfing, all stock ballast (minus the off side of course), the 750 in the trunk & a 500 on the seat in the cabin plus the wedge makes the surf wave Drool.gif

• 4 weeks later...

The boats that are being modified in this thread have the tanks above the floor in the lockers. Your's is below the floor and is MUCH easier to install.

Ronnie,

I may be missing something here, but I wouldn't qualify the new boats as "much easier to install" The older boats you can just remove the hard tanks and utilize the existing pumps, wiring and hoses. If you are trying to supplement the underfloor tanks on the new boats, it could turn in to quite a bit of work. I am going to be adding 750's to each locker and as far as I can tell I am going to have to add several pumps, all the wiring & switches and new hoses as well as possibly drill through the hull Cry.gif . I know there has been some discussion about putting the sacks in-line with the underfloor tanks, but it doesnt really offer up the flexibility I desire. Please correct me if I am making this harder than it should be.

Ken

Ronnie,

I have heard you can tap into the existing plumbing underneath the floor, so you don't have to run new hoses, wiring or drill. That is what I am trying to get more detail on.

eubanks did this type of install and his problem was water pushing out the drain. He never posted on his fix but it would only take a ball valve to close the drain until you needed it. If you are wanting a system where you don't have to get up out of your seat, you will have to use inline electric valves to stop the unwanted drain. If you are wanting a system where your tanks & sacs are separate, you are going to have to install more pumps and drains unless you use a manifold which lets you direct which pumps fills which tank/sac.

I finally got around to reading this entire thing! No solution yet to water pushing out the drain line of the tank. I'll probably do what you were talking about and put a ball valve on there at the back of the compartment near the transom. I was hoping to not have to do any manual manipulation with valves and such, but this wouldn't be that big of a deal. After the sac was full then I could open back up the drain line so that I don't forget later when draining or if I need to drain some for some riders. Water only gets pushed out WHILE the sac is filling...not once it is already filled which is strange to me.

Other than that this system works great. I can easily remove the bags with popping off the 2 quick disconnects. To me the fill times are fine but I could always upgrade the 750 pumps to 1100's in the future. I assume I could just splice into the existing wiring so that I wouldn't have to rewire or run different switches?? And are the 1100 outlets the same size as the 750's?

Hopefully I can get some wake pics before too long.

• 3 weeks later...

Not to derail the OP's thread but has anyone used brass "flapper" valves for check valves on the fill hoses?

I replaced the stock tanks with 750's. I used the stock plumbing setup (replaced the hoses) as well as added a brass flapper check valve as high as I could mounted to the rear seats. The PVC check valves seemed too restrictive. I looped the vents and drain hoses as high as I could. It may not be very fast but I think it will work...

Pat

Edited by Faceplant409