Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 axis a22 wave

2017axisa22

I just got a 2017 axis a22 and the wave is amazing but when I put the wedge(auto set wedge) down it starts to wash over any idea why or how to help it not because i would really like to use the wedge as I think it would help the wave be even bigger any suggestions?

without more info on crew, speed, ballast, goofy vs regular, pics, etc...3 things come to mind:

1) speed up by a few 0.1mph's and see if it helps

2) you need more bow weight (move crew up there, maybe lead if not many people in the boat)

3) try moving weight to the surf side (again, just have everyone sit on the side person is surfing, or put a few hundred pounds of lead there, or drain some of the non-surf side rear PnP).

19 hours ago, CaptainMorgan said:

without more info on crew, speed, ballast, goofy vs regular, pics, etc...3 things come to mind:

1) speed up by a few 0.1mph's and see if it helps

2) you need more bow weight (move crew up there, maybe lead if not many people in the boat)

3) try moving weight to the surf side (again, just have everyone sit on the side person is surfing, or put a few hundred pounds of lead there, or drain some of the non-surf side rear PnP).

Sorry for the lack of information we usually run 3-8 people on the boat with full plug and plays and hard tanks Im not at the lake at the moment but I will try putting some more weight in the front thanks

if you have a crew of like 8, then that's a lot of people weight (>1000 lbs?), so if they all sit in the back watching the rider, that'll make you way stern heavy.  definitely take advantage of the people and try cramming a bunch in the bow and/or a few extra to the surf side.  its an easy experiment and will tell you whether you need some lead to do the same function when crew is smaller.

1 hour ago, CaptainMorgan said:

if you have a crew of like 8, then that's a lot of people weight (>1000 lbs?), so if they all sit in the back watching the rider, that'll make you way stern heavy.  definitely take advantage of the people and try cramming a bunch in the bow and/or a few extra to the surf side.  its an easy experiment and will tell you whether you need some lead to do the same function when crew is smaller.

100% agree here

in my 2014 23 lsv we figured out that Bow weight was essential, it changes the angle at which the boat moves through the water and shapes the wave. 
In the longer heavier boats bow weight is not as essential but still required for optimizing your wave.

I Ran a 650lb triangle bow bag in my 23, but have moved over to lead in my 25’s 

at a minimum I would have 1 large adult in the forward bow of your boat and or 300lbs of lead.

You are running the PW2 so I’d say goofy run the wedge at 1-2 positions up from Ramp.

Regular surfer I’d recommend 2-3 positions up from ramp.

15E21E8C-1DDB-4D46-A0DE-1CAA97B065E8.jpeg

sorta kinda on point... last boat was a T22, and we got a great wave out of it. But not till we started running lead in the walkway, and not until we gave up trying to fill the rear PnP bags to 100% (the more lead up front, the more you can fill the rear bags).  With 400 in the walkway, we never went more than 1/3 full with 900s in the back.

Here's when I started figuring it out with only 150 in lead:

I'll echo what other have said, if you want to use more wedge you probably need more bow weight and/or possibly a bit more speed.  We've found with our 20ft VTX that with 5-6 people in the boat and all ballast&PNP full we need to get about 700-750lbs in the bow using factory ballast/people/lead depending on #'s/weight of riders with me.  Also I've found "listing" this shorter boat a bit helps clean up the top of the wake as well.  So I play with pumping out some of the non-surf side PNP and/or putting some adult(s) in the surf side back corner seat depending on #'s/weight I have in the boat.  It really helps to take the boat out and just play around with weight placement and speed to see how the wake responds, every boat is different -  you can use this knowledge as you learn how the boat responds to adjust for different rider numbers and tuning the wake for what you are looking for.