Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

T250 vs T235

pvmania

Or put another way: have you ever bought “the bigger boat” and regretted it for reasons other than storage, towing or price?

We’ve a down payment on a T250, but since our dealer is receiving his first T235 before the build date, we’ll wait to sit in that before making the final call. But until then, I’m trying to figure out why we might prefer the smaller boat, which as far as I can tell has nearly identical specs but for 18” of length and a bit of weight.

The three obvious reasons to go smaller are storage, trailering, and cost. But we keep the boat on a lift, so first two aren’t a concern, and the after-discount quotes are within $3k, so price isn’t that different.

Other differences might be how it drives, the wake, and how it feels in the cabin…but would 18” make much difference on any of those? We won’t typically take a dozen people out, but when we do, I’m sure the extra space will be nice. Does the extra space have a downside I should think of?

presumably all will become clear when we can finally sit in the T235. But in the mean time, what’s you’re experience with boats that are bigger than you need for your average day. Is too big a thing? Is the T235 only for people who store their boat in a garage, or does it have other upsides to the T250? 

anyone been able to experience both yet?

I am Literally in the exact same position . Keep boat on a lift and 90% of the time it’s just me and the family or one other family so  4 adults 4 kids . Really love the idea of the t250 but my lift will need to be adjusted (6600 hydrohoist ) and my slip is only 26’ so it will hang out the back but still stay somewhat covered . I know it’s all about the wave and bigger is better , but I doubt my surfing ability will even notice . Plus with typical 2-4 on the boat from what I have read the larger boats will need substantial lead ( and my thoughts is additional plumbed in ballast  under the seats ) I need very little storage . 

I drove a t250 and while it was for sure bigger it didn’t feel much different than my 22 from a docking handling standpoint 

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by how small the T250 felt to drive and dock.

interesting point about the lead, though not a big deal to me. TBH, I don’t understand why that’s more of an issue in a longer/bigger boat, but I’ll take at face value.

other upside of the bigger boat for me is we’re on a big crowded lake. I’m guessing that 18” will come in handy dealing with the summer saturday chop.

really, the only downside I can think of is that it feels a bit awkwardly large with only 4 people on board. But I’m guessing I’ll get over that! Certainly will the first time we have 2 other families won board.

I have had 2 A24 and now T250. 250 does it all better and is easy to handle . I regularly drive my friends centurion 23’ . With same size crew . 6-10 people . Could I live with a 23? Of course . Wave on 250 is awesome and just like any boat , you have to adjust things for when it’s 3 people or 13 people . For only 3k , I’d go 250 . For me it required the LT4 which is something to consider . I’m at 6100’ so anything heavy wants the big power . I understand you can get LT4 in the 235. Anyway , the 235 would have to save me a lot of money . I had 14 people on mine and nobody complained. 

• Like 2

I'll say as a T220 owner that the boat feels really big inside.  The deep freeboard and the wide bow make for a lot of room.  Full ballast + M6 = big wave.  I can only imagine how the T235 and T250 perform.    

• 2 weeks later...

are other people being quoted only $3k difference for a T250 vs a T235 or was this a one-off case because of timing or options or something?  seems like a trivial cost difference to get a little more room/wave. 

Since dry weights are within 100 lbs, not like the T235 makes towing/storage any easier.  Both have same 17" prop.  Off-hand, can't think of cases where a T235 would work for a family but a T250 would not.  almsot makes me question why even have the T235 model if its so close in price/performance.  the T220 and T250 seem to have gotten rave reviews, and in my eyes are distinctly different animals.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/21/2022 at 7:34 AM, CaptainMorgan said:

are other people being quoted only $3k difference for a T250 vs a T235 or was this a one-off case because of timing or options or something?  seems like a trivial cost difference to get a little more room/wave. 

Since dry weights are within 100 lbs, not like the T235 makes towing/storage any easier.  Both have same 17" prop.  Off-hand, can't think of cases where a T235 would work for a family but a T250 would not.  almsot makes me question why even have the T235 model if its so close in price/performance.  the T220 and T250 seem to have gotten rave reviews, and in my eyes are distinctly different animals.

Now that they’ve officially launched the T235, I think it’s notable that Axis describes it primarily as a good compromise between wake size and towability for many families. To your point, I can’t imagine towing is that different. Which means garage storage would be the main deal breaker for some families.

we went with the T250. Building Oct 3. Can’t wait!

• Like 2
On 8/21/2022 at 7:34 AM, CaptainMorgan said:

Also, on price: I have window stickers for a 2023 T235 and a 2023 T250. not exactly the same options, but I can tell you that MSRP base price is $2,992 more for T250, and I don’t see any options that are priced differently. You might be able to get away with the m5 on the smaller boat (the sticker I’m looking at has that), which I certainly wouldn’t do in the t250, but I wouldn’t choose that on either size.

From what I can tell, any meaningful difference in cost will come from options and discounts on a particular boat.

OtherBoatisaCessna
On 8/10/2022 at 8:43 AM, Livinlogs said:

I have had 2 A24 and now T250. 250 does it all better and is easy to handle . I regularly drive my friends centurion 23’ . With same size crew . 6-10 people . Could I live with a 23? Of course . Wave on 250 is awesome and just like any boat , you have to adjust things for when it’s 3 people or 13 people . For only 3k , I’d go 250 . For me it required the LT4 which is something to consider . I’m at 6100’ so anything heavy wants the big power . I understand you can get LT4 in the 235. Anyway , the 235 would have to save me a lot of money . I had 14 people on mine and nobody complained. 

Can you elaborate on why the T250 is better than the A24?  I’ve been kind of under the impression that the A24 and T250 were essentially the same boat except for the bow.   

I don’t want to just state that it’s a better boat. I had 2 A24 models prior and who doesn’t love the bow of the pickle fork ? Everyone loved it. The 2021 model had more freeboard than the previous model and threw a little better wave . The 250 is yet even taller . It handles rough water better . But it’s only obvious coming from one to another . If I stayed in the A24 I’d always think it was great . They both make great waves , because the cabin in essentially moved forward on the 250 , I think the weight had moved forward . I noticed with a large crew on both that I fought bow rise a lot more on the 24. The 250 isn’t as particular to crew placement. My only gripe with the 250 is I’ve added more lead than the 24 and it’s been more difficult to trailer for some reason than my past two boats . That’s probably another whole discussion. Both boats are great but I’m loving the 250 so much I want a 25lsv . Again , another story . 

16 minutes ago, OtherBoatisaCessna said:

@Livinlogs What is the trailering difficulty with the T250 and what is your tow vehicle?

The boat just is harder to center on the bunks . I’m only theorizing but I’m not convinced the bunks are in the best position . You have to have the trailer far deeper than my past two boats and then you got the stern floating around . I put an f2 winch on and that made it easier . Just part of learning a new hull I guess . The A24’s were very predictable to trailer . And quietly , I tow this big boat with a half ton. I know, I need a super duty. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2022 at 2:20 PM, pvmania said:

Now that they’ve officially launched the T235, I think it’s notable that Axis describes it primarily as a good compromise between wake size and towability for many families. To your point, I can’t imagine towing is that different. Which means garage storage would be the main deal breaker for some families.

we went with the T250. Building Oct 3. Can’t wait!

Did you get your boat yet . 

Would love opinions on this topic as well, if you were shopping between these two boats.  We have a Malibu 247 now, and don't want to go much smaller on an upgrade.  An A24/T250/T235 are the boats we're looking at now.

My only other consideration is my lift is 6,600 lbs.  The T235 and A24 are 5,400/5,500 lbs respectively, so I feel good about 1,100+ lbs of capacity to handle fuel and gear.  I never raise the lift with people on the boat for safety reasons.  I am personally leaning towards the T235 as I just love the lines on this boat.

Like my posts said , I had two A24 and now t250. Love them both . I was surprised about the 235 being so close in price to the 250 . I would not want to replace the hoist so I think you can’t go wrong with either . I would see which you can get a better deal on . I like the lines of the 235 but the 24 got updated hull in 2021 . You might find a deal on a 2022 a24 . We all know the a24 has an awesome wave . You’re not gaining any features over the other with either model . Neither has a transom walk thru for example . My favorite option on the latest models is extended Bimini but everyone has opinions . You will love either boat 

• Like 2
On 10/26/2022 at 6:11 AM, EchelonMike said:

Would love opinions on this topic as well, if you were shopping between these two boats.  We have a Malibu 247 now, and don't want to go much smaller on an upgrade.  An A24/T250/T235 are the boats we're looking at now.

My only other consideration is my lift is 6,600 lbs.  The T235 and A24 are 5,400/5,500 lbs respectively, so I feel good about 1,100+ lbs of capacity to handle fuel and gear.  I never raise the lift with people on the boat for safety reasons.  I am personally leaning towards the T235 as I just love the lines on this boat.

I'd be suspicious of those dry weights.  

FWIW a local T250 without gear but full tank of fuel on a trailer scaled at 9500 lbs.  I don't know if it was dual or triple axle. 

23 hours ago, rennis said:

I'd be suspicious of those dry weights.  

FWIW a local T250 without gear but full tank of fuel on a trailer scaled at 9500 lbs.  I don't know if it was dual or triple axle. 

Mine was 8400 on triple axle full of fuel but nothing else . I added 400 lbs of lead and gear so 9200 likely loaded 

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Carguy08 said:

What does adding lead mean?  

Steel shot in bags to add ballast weight in specific places to enhance to shape the wake . Like moving people around . Often used to help out with the natural inclination to rotate towards the starboard side so you add weight to port side to make the regular wave better or equal to the other . It can be forward as well to keep the bow down as well . Each boat is different 

Great explanation.  TY.  Does it make that big a difference?   I have an Axis t250 coming.  How much do these lead bags usually weigh?    Will this be something a family of novices will be looking at or is this for more experienced riders? 

1 hour ago, Carguy08 said:

Great explanation.  TY.  Does it make that big a difference?   I have an Axis t250 coming.  How much do these lead bags usually weigh?    Will this be something a family of novices will be looking at or is this for more experienced riders? 

Yes it does make a difference and helps you dial in the wave.  I use 10 50lb bags in my T250.  I keep three bags in the trash compartment,  two under the observer seat  The rest are at the stern of the boat.   I just recently got some of these bags to use when we have a smaller crew and will try them out this season.  They use water so I don't have to worry about overloading my boat lift or carrying them around when not surfing etc.   https://www.amazon.com/WAKE-10-Boat-Ballast-Bag/dp/B087WPGXK9/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 

52 minutes ago, Carguy08 said:

I've got a lot to learn.  

I wouldn't worry about lead at first - your T250 is gonna move a lot of water regardless.  And if you surf goofy (right foot forward), lead bags are an even lower priority.  If surfing regular, same effect can be had by moving a couple people to the port-side (if you have lead, then spread out people evenly).  Eventually you'll probably end up spending a few hundred bucks on lead bags (like $60/ea for a 50 lbs bag from LeadWake), but if trailering, be careful of over-doing it as you're towing that extra weight each time.

IMO, if you are new to surfing, getting the right board is more important than lead -- a big guy riding a tiny board won't be fixed by a few lead bags.