Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pirelli Scorpion All Season Plus 3

phinz

Looking into getting these for my Denali truck that I use only for towing our boat. The specs show they have a higher weight range than both the Goodyear Eagle L2 or Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza which were the stock tires used by GM at one point. The sales guy at AmericaTire was trying to push me into some all terrain tires but my truck will never be driven off road. I am not too sure how many miles he has driven towing a boat across the Arizona desert so I am just second guessing him.

https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/pirelli-scorpion-all-season-plus-3/p/103610

There is a difference in the construction between a LT and XL.  https://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/blog/tires/differences-light-truck-passenger-tires/

You will notice the difference towing between a LT and P tire.  I am not saying it is dangerous but you can feel the difference in the sidewall stiffness. There was a noticeable difference on my Expedition after I switched to a LT D rated tire.  My old tires were Pirelli, not sure of the model, with a fairly high load index. LT tires are not necessarily a good thing for your vehicle if you never tow, you get a better ride with a P and they are usually quieter.  I wonder if some of the white knuckle comments on here about towing with a half ton or full size suv could be solved or greatly reduced with a tire change.  

22 hours ago, phinz said:

Looking into getting these for my Denali truck that I use only for towing our boat. The specs show they have a higher weight range than both the Goodyear Eagle L2 or Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza which were the stock tires used by GM at one point. The sales guy at AmericaTire was trying to push me into some all terrain tires but my truck will never be driven off road. I am not too sure how many miles he has driven towing a boat across the Arizona desert so I am just second guessing him.

https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/pirelli-scorpion-all-season-plus-3/p/103610

I don't think I would put those on my truck (because I need better traction in sand), but I put a set of Scorpion AS+3 on my wife's Highlander.  I chose them because of the wet road rating, which is very important around here.  A local shop has a load balancer that simulates the weight of the car on the tire as it determines balance, so they are very smooth running (and quiet).  We have both been very delighted with them, and I would recommend them.

If you put them on your truck, maybe keep them pumped up a bit more than the door panel says.

The max tire pressure on them is 51 PSI but that I think that is because the load range (117H) being so much higher than what the stock tire (111S) had. Thanks for the info

Edited by phinz
23 hours ago, wakesonthesnake said:

There is a difference in the construction between a LT and XL.  https://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/blog/tires/differences-light-truck-passenger-tires/

You will notice the difference towing between a LT and P tire.  I am not saying it is dangerous but you can feel the difference in the sidewall stiffness. There was a noticeable difference on my Expedition after I switched to a LT D rated tire.  My old tires were Pirelli, not sure of the model, with a fairly high load index. LT tires are not necessarily a good thing for your vehicle if you never tow, you get a better ride with a P and they are usually quieter.  I wonder if some of the white knuckle comments on here about towing with a half ton or full size suv could be solved or greatly reduced with a tire change.  

They are a XL.

You can see why I am confused. All the numbers look good, it is a heaver/stronger tires than the stock tires that came on the truck. I agree when you hear Pirelli you think cars, but for this it maybe different.  Thanks for the info and the link, it did help out with understanding all the numbers.

Edited by phinz