Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

09 wakesetter vlx shifter problem

Hi everyone. New to this forum. Have a 09 wakesetter vlx and on vacation with boat. 2 days ago shifter button stopped working. I can see the pin or rod is not connected to the button anymore. It’s going into forward and reverse without button. Wasn’t a huge deal just had to be real careful until I could get it home and replace it. Yesterday my son accidentally hit the shifter and it went in forward real fast. I pulled it back and may have gone neutral or just past to reverse. After that it will not shift into forward or reverse now. When I start engine and move shifter to forward or reverse it just revs like it’s stuck in neutral. Can anyone help me solve problem. I may have access to shifter parts while on vacation if anyone has any ideas to help. 

11 hours ago, Kevrev said:

I can see the pin or rod is not connected to the button anymore.

I can't see that... a photo is always nice to add to your post.  I'm pretty sure that you have a drive-by-wire throttle.

Is the neutral detent button missing, and just the rod is showing?  It sounds like the detent spring is definitely gone.

You may have a fuse or relay that you can check to help diagnose the shifting issue.  If you have a multimeter with you, diagnosis may be a bit quicker.

It’s likely that the clip holding the spring broke or moved which eliminated the neutral lockout. Fairly easy fix- just need to replace the clip. 

Neutral rev issue is more difficult.