Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Used Boat Prices Falling

Wakeskate77

10 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

Blasphemy!  Look 69 miles to your SW in Warsaw, Indiana.  There's a show ski team on a private lake, you should check it out someday!  Invitationals are June 14-16 in 2024.

Use to go there .. when I could ski.. problem is it is a meniscule market.. I loved the sport! Sadly however it's dead it's always a shock on any of those lakes in that area or up where I'm at to see somebody actually skiing under 40... 

40+ grew up skiing.. 40 and under grew up wakeboarding.. under 30-25 range surfing..  new gen will be?.. maybe e-foiling ha. 

I grew up going to Chapman Lake in the area and still visit the area frequently 

Good ol Bart's Watersports was top of the game back in the day for waterskiing equipment, mail/catalog order!!!.. now gone.. Overtons, same story. Crazy to think barts was one of the first ECOM companies in the entire country! Sadly they never updated or invested in upkeep much thereafter.. surfing became super popular and they were still carrying mostly ski equipment They missed five critical years before they started bringing in lots of surf equipment..  same for overton's then they all tried playing catch up over the past 10 years and it was too late. Not necessarily just because of the lack of current hype equipment but mainly because their old school business models and not getting up to date with e-com In the rapidly and quickly changing internet era of the time. 

Crazy though especially considering what 20 years ago the big medical companies took over the area and the small cottages disappeared and turned into year-round homes and $$$$.

Well, my wife wants to go to the Milwaukee boat show this January.  There won’t be any big boats that I can see on the roster, but we’ll see what deals are available.  And maybe I’ll find someone hawking skis and get a good deal on one.  I just got back into it last year after 20 years off and I need a decent slalom.  Not a tournament rider or even only course, but I’ll take what someone is willing to pull me through.  If skis are discounted, maybe it’s a sign….. if not, but boats are, Sunseeker for me!

Just back from an industry show.. many dock and lift companies north of the border are down  50% now coinciding with boat sales dropping in that range..

General consensus was it's gonna be rough for New years.. 

Hulk, do you mean sales?  And projected, past or current quarterly?  Was there any indication of raw materials shortages still?  
In my industry, it seems like electronic components have caught back up but we seem to struggle with cast and formed metal products and/or sub-assembly of components before they get to us for production.  

Also, sorry if I derailed this thread with waterskiing comments, I’m jonesing for a fix (it’s a bit chilly in Northern IL now and I don’t have a wet or dry suit yet).

1 hour ago, Nick55 said:

Hulk, do you mean sales?  And projected, past or current quarterly?  Was there any indication of raw materials shortages still?  
In my industry, it seems like electronic components have caught back up but we seem to struggle with cast and formed metal products and/or sub-assembly of components before they get to us for production.  

Also, sorry if I derailed this thread with waterskiing comments, I’m jonesing for a fix (it’s a bit chilly in Northern IL now and I don’t have a wet or dry suit yet).

Sales, yes.. most are significantly below pre-COVID levels.. several have mentioned If things continue it could be worse than after the Great recession era. In fact most north of the border assume it will be. Luckily many did make hay for the past 2 years and are investing it into new products and cutting cost to ride it out.. 

It is interesting that you bring up steel, a couple of the guys had mentioned that steel is set to rise yet scrap is going down... 

Almost everybody though is sitting on the entire next year's of stock and then some especially the MFGs. Dealers that took heavy stock last year Also mentioned having most of next year's inventory on hand or more.. different regions are varying a little bit..

It was interesting to hear several more people say that the 1 million plus coastal boat market is still hot with a waiting list on numerous models.. However sub 1 million market is gone.

Im up in Indiana so it's not like we have places carrying $1m+ plus boats.. All I can say is A lot of the standard dealers are all packed with inventory showrooms are full... I'd be curious to stroll around Florida. 

Look no further than those companies in our industry that got snapped up by private equity.. costs and personnel are getting slashed.. 

1 hour ago, Nick55 said:

Sales, yes.. most are significantly below pre-COVID levels.. several have mentioned If things continue it could be worse than after the Great recession era. In fact most north of the border assume it will be. Luckily many did make hay for the past 2 years and are investing it into new products and cutting cost to ride it out.. 

It is interesting that you bring up steel, a couple of the guys had mentioned that steel is set to rise yet scrap is going down... 

Almost everybody though is sitting on the entire next year's of stock and then some especially the MFGs. Dealers that took heavy stock last year Also mentioned having most of next year's inventory on hand or more.. different regions are varying a little bit..

It was interesting to hear several more people say that the 1 million plus coastal boat market is still hot with a waiting list on numerous models.. However sub 1 million market is gone.

Im up in Indiana so it's not like we have places carrying $1m+ plus boats.. All I can say is A lot of the standard dealers are all packed with inventory showrooms are full... I'd be curious to stroll around Florida. 

Look no further than those companies in our industry that got snapped up by private equity.. costs and personnel are getting slashed.. 

3 hours ago, The Hulk said:

>$1 million: I work for a diesel generator manufacturer that primarily sales to the marine market and I concur with their statements. Our sales are still strong.

<$1 million: I have a friend who manufactures jack plates and he has commented on his sales slowing significantly. 

On 12/8/2023 at 11:15 PM, The Hulk said:

Use to go there .. when I could ski.. problem is it is a meniscule market.. I loved the sport! Sadly however it's dead it's always a shock on any of those lakes in that area or up where I'm at to see somebody actually skiing under 40... 

40+ grew up skiing.. 40 and under grew up wakeboarding.. under 30-25 range surfing..  new gen will be?.. maybe e-foiling ha. 

I grew up going to Chapman Lake in the area and still visit the area frequently 

Good ol Bart's Watersports was top of the game back in the day for waterskiing equipment, mail/catalog order!!!.. now gone.. Overtons, same story. Crazy to think barts was one of the first ECOM companies in the entire country! Sadly they never updated or invested in upkeep much thereafter.. surfing became super popular and they were still carrying mostly ski equipment They missed five critical years before they started bringing in lots of surf equipment..  same for overton's then they all tried playing catch up over the past 10 years and it was too late. Not necessarily just because of the lack of current hype equipment but mainly because their old school business models and not getting up to date with e-com In the rapidly and quickly changing internet era of the time. 

Crazy though especially considering what 20 years ago the big medical companies took over the area and the small cottages disappeared and turned into year-round homes and $$$$.

Actually it's growing fast again, in a great Covid rebound, at least in Michigan and Wisconsin.  So is the 3 event world.  Yeah Barts and Overtons missed that completely.

I can't cite specific numbers in my area, but anecdotally I see plenty of new boats out on the water and there is a new 225 wet slip and ?? in/out marina going in on Muskegon Lake and is supposedly booking up slips and condo deposits quickly.  It could be that our location is an outlier in the trend though.

• Like 3

To actually compare fuel use, an RPM histogram would provide some insight on actual fuel use while skiing / footing / surfing etc.  My 5 gal/hr includes very little idle time.  I can't recall which Crew member did it, they recorded a data set of fuel use v time over a set.  IIRC peak use was in the ball park of 10 gph.

Edited by Woodski
  • Like 2

Really interesting subject we are talking here, especially with all the BS that other boat companies spew about Malibu fuel burn but.. Way off topic. Would yall start another thread on your fuel burn data please?

• Like 3
On 12/11/2023 at 12:58 PM, CaptainMorgan said:

got 400 hrs on my A24.  tracked every gallon at the pump since new -- i'm at ~4.8 gal/hr overall.  Even for surf-exclusive, experienced-surfers-only adult trips, never seen more than ~6 gal/hr averaged over a tank of gas.

Thats pretty nice, I just assumed surfing burned way more doing laps while loaded down. I am pretty much idling or definitely upper RPM range, no in between on my boat

Getting back on the Subject.

In The Wall Street Journal, Last week.

" Boat Sales Slump after Buying Spree During Covid "

The article states that Sales have sunk back to the lowest level since 2013. 

Edited by Rack
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
9 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Just got updated info it's even worse.. I'll let it become public 😂

Hulk with the tease! I feel like your next post should be a commercial  ad! Tmc version of don’t turn the channel / stay tuned !!! (Full transparency I have checked back twice myself lol) 

side note I follow my local dealer( singleton ) inventory closely . Might be a site issue but their inventory went from 112 on Thursday to 28 today??? 

When a dealer is used to selling 100 of something every year, and the manufacturer  says, you will get 2, do you think the dealer should wiggle on his profit margins?   I am sure the sales guy who has nothing to sell is willing to take a huge cut on his commissions so he won't make any money.  Not only that, the manufacturer  for sure jacked up.the prices to the dealer and those are locked in.