Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Used Boat Prices Falling

Wakeskate77

31 minutes ago, JasonK said:

My dad sold a car long ago and the buyer never transferred title. The buyer left it abandoned on the road, and my dad had the legal responsibility to pay all fees, as told by a judge.

That is why some states have a better system ;)  Once I report the sale with the title number - it is no longer my vehicle as far as the state of MN is concerned.

image.thumb.png.8339193968fafba25d2011edb226f629.png

I have watched this boat go from 160 to now 140.  Thinking we are going to see more of this occurring. 

If anyone is interested, let me know.  I know the dealer and the owners of the boat!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, COOP said:

New boats (even pontoons) are on their way to 1%er status. lol!

You are right.  I thought it was crazy seeing a pontoon over $100k a few years ago.  Many are well over with the bigger outboards now.

1 hour ago, Hemmy said:

You are right.  I thought it was crazy seeing a pontoon over $100k a few years ago.  Many are well over with the bigger outboards now.

Let alone some are well over $300k now.

On 5/17/2023 at 4:07 PM, UWSkier said:

id like to se le a follow up article months later now 😂

talked to someone who works with a lot of dealers selling both new and used..

The unofficial industry 22% margin standard, inflated to 35% the past couple years.. those that have already lowered to the 14 to 18% margin range are still moving a few boats those that are higher are not moving much of anything..

used boats that were purchased back by dealers the past 2 yrs are often now getting dropped for minimal margins and sometimes break even for cash flow..

So if you're looking for a used boat you might be surprised what a dealer owned used boat might be had for..

worth trying a low-ball offer to see if it works. Inflated prices on used are finally dropping.. 

Edited by The Hulk
On 5/17/2023 at 3:58 PM, cowwboy said:

Let alone some are well over $300k now.

100k is basically starting price these days, mid range at best.. crazy but then again look at wake boats! 400k norm on the horizon by end of decade? ha

Edited by The Hulk
1 hour ago, The Hulk said:

id like to se le a follow up article months later now 😂

talked to someone who works with a lot of dealers selling both new and used..

The unofficial industry 22% margin standard, inflated to 35% the past couple years.. those that have already lowered to the 14 to 18% margin range are still moving a few boats those that are higher are not moving much of anything..

used boats that were purchased back by dealers the past 2 yrs are often now getting dropped for minimal margins and sometimes break even for cash flow..

So if you're looking for a used boat you might be surprised what a dealer owned used boat might be had for..

worth trying a low-ball offer to see if it works. Inflated prices on used are finally dropping.. 

dude, even carl icahn admitted he was dead wrong betting against US economy. give it up!

and BTW - do you realize the freedoms we enjoy are the envy of the world - ready to pounce on our still incredibly inexpensive boating market?

Edited by Swatski
7 minutes ago, Swatski said:

dude, even carl icahn admitted he was dead wrong betting against US economy. give it up!

and BTW - do you realize the freedoms we enjoy are the envy of the world - ready to pounce on our still incredibly inexpensive boating market?

no offense,i don't quite understand your statement on what i said above about over inflated prices dropping, and that its worth shooting low on offers now. 

you must believe that used prices continue to rise still? not around here at least.. 

there is nothing to give up, boat sales are down.. boat lift sales preemptively tell the exact same thing as they go hand in hand. Sorry i should rephrase... strategic supply initiatives have allowed boat mfgs to catch up to capture consumer demand. 

the insider informed me a quick synopsis..Those still gouging on margins are down well below pre-pandemic levels.. those at normal margin levels are mostly below pre-pandemic levels.. those that have lowered below normal margin levels are still doing okay some right at pre pandemic levels, some slightly above some slightly below but those they're doing okay or well lowered their margins earlier on this winter... I thought the information was interesting.. 

my suggestion is that PAID for used boats that dealers bought back.. low-ball you might be surprised! 

My sons roommate works for Nautique. The factory just laid off something like 20% of the workers and cut production from around 15 boats a day to 10-12 boats a day.

• Sad 2
16 hours ago, windy1 said:

My sons roommate works for Nautique. The factory just laid off something like 20% of the workers and cut production from around 15 boats a day to 10-12 boats a day.

Similar in the pontoon manufacturing world also.  I was told the slow down from the manufacturing side just hit them a couple of weeks ago.  

ahopkins22LSV
17 hours ago, windy1 said:

Well with their pricing being the highest in the industry and some of the questionable (to be polite) decisions they’ve made in the past few weeks with some of their athletes and the Masters I would not be surprised to see that continue with them. 

Although I’d be curious to see what their and any other manufacturers staffing compares to like now compared to 2018-2019. No one has ever really stated if they staffed up or not during the mad rush the past few years. 

On 5/22/2023 at 11:30 PM, The Hulk said:

no offense,i don't quite understand your statement on what i said above about over inflated prices dropping, and that its worth shooting low on offers now. 

you must believe that used prices continue to rise still? not around here at least.. 

there is nothing to give up, boat sales are down.. boat lift sales preemptively tell the exact same thing as they go hand in hand. Sorry i should rephrase... strategic supply initiatives have allowed boat mfgs to catch up to capture consumer demand. 

the insider informed me a quick synopsis..Those still gouging on margins are down well below pre-pandemic levels.. those at normal margin levels are mostly below pre-pandemic levels.. those that have lowered below normal margin levels are still doing okay some right at pre pandemic levels, some slightly above some slightly below but those they're doing okay or well lowered their margins earlier on this winter... I thought the information was interesting.. 

my suggestion is that PAID for used boats that dealers bought back.. low-ball you might be surprised! 

Points well taken. And apologies for my perhaps rude post.

However, we (US) are becoming inexpensive as far as...  everything.

Boats included. Imminently affordable - as compared to the rest of the world.

So, my point s - there are so many people with money it is impossible to think the prices of boats are going tank.

FYI our local dealer sent an email this week advertising " Manufacturer Incentives *Up to $70,000 off MSRP* "

1 hour ago, ChadFulton said:

FYI our local dealer sent an email this week advertising " Manufacturer Incentives *Up to $70,000 off MSRP* "

Sadly, that's only a 20% discount on some of the bigger Bu's.

47 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

Sadly, that's only a 20% discount on some of the bigger Bu's.

Wouldn't be surprised if this is for MY 22's.  Two dealers closest to me still have 7 new MY 22 boats between Axis and Malibu. 

38 minutes ago, Hemmy said:

Wouldn't be surprised if this is for MY 22's.  Two dealers closest to me still have 7 new MY 22 boats between Axis and Malibu. 

I always find it interesting that people get worked up over ONLY a 20% discount on. Meanwhile Menards biggest discount is 11%. And in the jewelry/watch industry the mark up is insane and people just pay it. I think it just shows how much BS there is in MSRP.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, COOP said:

I always find it interesting that people get worked up over ONLY a 20% discount on. Meanwhile Menards biggest discount is 11%. And in the jewelry/watch industry the mark up is insane and people just pay it. I think it just shows how much BS there is in MSRP.

Jewelry and furniture is insane how much it is marked up. 

Yeah, I forgot about furniture. Crazy marked up.

Years ago, wife #1 worked for as a buyer for a womens clothing store (Lerner NY). They bought as part of a group with pretty much every other womens clothing store in the USA. They bought in such large quantities that cost was crazy low, she gave a particular sweater as an example, under $6. They would put them on the floor at $129.99 with a discount down to 79.99. Crazy margin still, but people thought they were getting a smoking deal. She said she has never looked at clothing the same since.

Edited by COOP
On 5/24/2023 at 10:57 PM, Swatski said:

Points well taken. And apologies for my perhaps rude post.

However, we (US) are becoming inexpensive as far as...  everything.

Boats included. Imminently affordable - as compared to the rest of the world.

So, my point s - there are so many people with money it is impossible to think the prices of boats are going tank.

no worries, and yes you are correct, you only need to travel north of the border! 😂 but seriously yes your correct Boating is terribly expensive (for what you get) everywhere else in the world (apples to apples at least) although frankly everything is outside the US,.. housing.. food.. you name it.. way cheap in the US compared to everywhere especially the "Midwest America affordability" .. 

there are cheap places but when you consider apples to apples nothing overall comes close to the US.. we complain about our current inflation but we're causing way more to thr rest of the world ans they currently cant do much about it..

Used boats, have a few folks i know now worried about timing their upgrades trying to sell after thr season so well see how soon market conditions change within a few months 

Edited by The Hulk
On 5/26/2023 at 7:02 AM, The Hulk said:

no worries, and yes you are correct, you only need to travel north of the border! 😂 but seriously yes your correct Boating is terribly expensive (for what you get) everywhere else in the world (apples to apples at least) although frankly everything is outside the US,.. housing.. food.. you name it.. way cheap in the US compared to everywhere especially the "Midwest America affordability" .. 

there are cheap places but when you consider apples to apples nothing overall comes close to the US.. we complain about our current inflation but we're causing way more to thr rest of the world ans they currently cant do much about it..

Used boats, have a few folks i know now worried about timing their upgrades trying to sell after thr season so well see how soon market conditions change within a few months 

I'm afraid boat pricing will now follow T. Swift ticket trends...

I so hope I'm wrong.