Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Used Boat Prices Falling

Wakeskate77

On 3/23/2023 at 7:16 AM, cowwboy said:

Why did they put ridge grapplers on the trailer? 
I love the ridge grapplers on my truck but on a trailer??? 

Good thing is, I don't expect to have to replace them in 3 years like the trailer tires on my last 2 new Malibu's! I like them.

On 3/23/2023 at 10:14 AM, kstateskier1 said:

You don't like spending $1800 on trailer tires?  Didn't Boatmate do the same on their Paragon trailer.  I have alway though that was stupid.  Can imagine what it would do to the trailer or boat if it came apart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nitto-Ridge-Grappler-265-60R18-114S-XL-AT-A-T-All-Terrain-Tire/240101172 Your getting over charged! I fully plan to never needing to replace these as I always had to do with the Cheezie 15" trailer tires on my last 2 Malibu trailers.

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

I keep thinking this must be a southern thing.  Local boat launch has 20 Malibu trailers on an average day.  Pretty unusual to see big wheels.  Same goes for the pickups.

In this part of the South, almost nobody has a Malibu because the nearest dealer is over four hours away (Birmingham).  Everybody has a trailer, but they all have Wal-Mart tires on them. 

Most of the pickups have bigger tires, for whatever reason.  I use them for traction in sand.  Oh, and they look better....

2 hours ago, dalt1 said:

Good thing is, I don't expect to have to replace them in 3 years like the trailer tires on my last 2 new Malibu's! I like them.

I agree on the mileage, my ridge grapplers lasted 70k miles on my f250. 

Just surprised they used grapplers and not a sport truck type tire. 

I have used sport suv\truck tires for my trailer and normally get a nail or other damage that they claim I unrepairable (I buy the warranty) before they wear out. 

32 minutes ago, justgary said:

In this part of the South, almost nobody has a Malibu because the nearest dealer is over four hours away (Birmingham).  Everybody has a trailer, but they all have Wal-Mart tires on them. 

Most of the pickups have bigger tires, for whatever reason.  I use them for traction in sand.  Oh, and they look better....

Not big tires so much.  Big wheels.  In general if you have anything over a 20 on a truck, you are from out of state or the hood.

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Not big tires so much.  Big wheels.  In general if you have anything over a 20 on a truck, you are from out of state or the hood.

Sorry about that.  Yes, I agree about the wheels.  They also have to have LEDs strung along the frame and wheels as well.

I've been following the Car Edge YouTube channel, and after months and months of projections of car/truck prices coming down (just like this thread), 1 of the guys just recently changed his tune. I'm not smart enough to know what is going to happen but its interesting to ponder.

11 hours ago, justgary said:

Sorry about that.  Yes, I agree about the wheels.  They also have to have LEDs strung along the frame and wheels as well.

Uh this new trailer also has wheel lights, down logo light shows on road and runway lights all RGB. My truck not so much.image.thumb.png.79007453d8e6111712aac6f512faee3c.png

50 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

I dunno.  Car prices have been coming down.  Discounts increasing, even discounts on cars the dealers can't keep on the lots.

Maybe it's a dead cat bounce, but used car prices have come back up the last ~3 months. The trade in value of my 1/2 ton chevy has gone up $3500 since mid-December.

2 minutes ago, dshack said:

Maybe it's a dead cat bounce, but used car prices have come back up the last ~3 months. The trade in value of my 1/2 ton chevy has gone up $3500 since mid-December.

New car prices are down over the last 3 months and inventory is up, so it is odd if used are not following.  But could also be regional.

I’ve been watching used cars somewhat closely because I’ve got a Grand Wagoneer that FCA is buying back / replacing.  I do a weekly check to see what its worth on if I should take the new car or just take the cash.   I’m trying to watch to see if taking the cash but getting hit on taxes vs. getting the new car and immediately taking it to trade in towards something else (saving $5-6k in taxes).   All that said, right now is the lowest I’ve seen it for our specific car by 7-10% in the last year, which could be a function of “Grand Wagoneers” vs the market in general, but my gut says its the market as a whole.

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, williemon said:

Used car prices maybe up due to tax return time. 

This is true, March is easily the biggest month for car buying of the entire year (flowed by April and February). Tax returns are a big reason for this. Another is many companies pay out their annual bonus in Feb/Mar.

Americans are funny, the minute they have a few extra coins in their pocket, what do they do…?  Buy some new metal for the driveway (I say driveway because the average American’s garage is filled with cardboard boxes, you know, the really valuable stuff). 

52 minutes ago, IXFE said:

(I say driveway because the average American’s garage is filled with cardboard boxes, you know, the really valuable stuff). 

I think you just described my sons entire townhouse development.  I swear that he is the only one on his street that can fit 2 cars in the garage.

17 minutes ago, IXFE said:

your son and I would get along... cars go in garages, cardboard boxes go in the dumpster.

Where do you park your SuperDuty these days? :) I believe you said "garage no likey" when you got your first one.

Edited by UWSkier
14 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Where do you park your SuperDuty these days? :) I believe you said "garage no likey" when you got your first one.

Until we build our next home… 

AD4C187A-F219-4ED2-8E38-57CCDD264BE1.jpeg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, IXFE said:

your son and I would get along... cars go in garages, cardboard boxes go in the dumpster.

I have cars, boats and motorcycles in the garages - but also 2 cars in the driveway ;)  I have never had a spot in the garage for my truck in the last 25 years.

Used boat prices HAVE to start coming down.  With almost 1200 Malibu boats listed on Onlyinboards everyone's inventory is up!  I bet after the spring sales start to cool down the prices will be dropping quickly..

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Sixer said:

With almost 1200 Malibu boats listed on Onlyinboards 

How many Malibu's were listed at this time in 2022, 2021??  Is this a "much" higher number?  or just a little higher?

• Like 2
21 hours ago, mrothwell said:

How many Malibu's were listed at this time in 2022, 2021??  Is this a "much" higher number?  or just a little higher?

I've been "casually" looking at Onlyinboards for years.  The highest I can recall is somewhere around 1200.  I think this time last year was about 900 if I remember correctly, can't recall the year before, but it was definitely less than the current number available.  In peak pandemic when everyone was buying boats like crazy it was down to 300ish.  Inventory is slowly climbing back up.