Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Used Boat Prices Falling

Wakeskate77

redrooster
20 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

I’m 100% serious.  Your talking points are typical, yet not among people who own them.  Sure, they won’t work for everyone for all purposes just yet (what vehicle does?) but after driving and owning one for a while now (Rivian R1S), I’ll never buy an ICE again.  You don’t have to like my decisions, but the fact is that (good) EVs are and will continue to grow exponentially.  They are so superior to ICE,  it’s insane.  Does that make me sad on some levels?  Sure.  But when you wake up to an updates that upgrade the vehicle overnight, from ride, to settings, to drive modes, let alone Easter Egg sounds and colors around the holidays, you realize this is the future.  O, and it goes 0-60 in 3 seconds, will run the rubicon trail bone stock, requires no service (or gas) and costs less than a comparable ICE, it’s a no brainer.  

If you posted that article because I said Model Y was world’s best selling car, your article was for America.  And I might add, think how mind-blowing it is that an electric car is the 4th best selling in America.  That in and of itself is self-evident this change is coming…you could try to enjoy it…you won’t regret it.  Unless you live in Alaska or North Dakota or something, that probably wouldn’t work well.  Lol. 

They are typical response because they are fact.  EV are good for short range and no load.  Check back in 5 years... let's see where we are at.  I'll bet hybrid takes over.  That's the future. 

• Like 2

There's no doubt electric motors have redonculous, instant torque.   But damn the Teslas just suck the soul out of you.  (My opinion).  My client had a Model S Plaid for 8 days before he traded it.  He wanted to love it.  He even took me for a "joy" ride in it for a few crazed zero to hundreds and it was balls out fast, but he felt (and I agree) it was absolutely no fun to drive after you got over the initial quick-sprint honeymoon.  

Edited by jjackkrash
19 minutes ago, redrooster said:

They are typical response because they are fact.  EV are good for short range and no load.  Check back in 5 years... let's see where we are at.  I'll bet hybrid takes over.  That's the future. 

It’s so funny these are so polarizing.  I literally own one and you’re telling me what they’re good for.  Tell me you’ve never driven an EV without telling me you’ve never driven one.  It’s OK.  

Which kind of hybrid?  PHEV?  Traditional hybrids have been around for decades and after all that time only one company managed to get them right.  Maybe 2.  Hybrid economy is a fine endeavor but moves no needles.  And I love Ram’s new range extender concept.  But those are not hybrids, they’re range extenders.  

You do realize Tesla is worth a lot more than Toyota, right?  People smarter than me are willing to bet (a lot) that while hybrids are fine, but are far from “taking over”.  To be clear, I understand that not everyone will “like” EVs, but they are the future once you get used to them.

Edited by 85 Barefoot
  • Like 2
12 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

There's no doubt electric motors have redonculous, instant torque.   But damn the Teslas just suck the soul out of you.  (My opinion).  My client had a Model S Plaid for 8 days before he traded it.  He wanted to love it.  He even took be for a "joy" ride in it for a few crazed zero to hundreds and it was balls out fast, but he felt (and I agree) it was absolutely no fun to drive after you got over the initial quick-sprint honeymoon.  

Did he trade it on a Camry?  Hybrid, of course?

Edited by 85 Barefoot

I'm about 80% sure my wife's next vehicle will be an EV.

And it will be parked in the garage next to my used boat, which apparently has a decreasing value.

8 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

I'm about 80% sure my wife's next vehicle will be an EV.

And it will be parked in the garage next to my used boat, which apparently has a decreasing value.

Thank you for bringing thread back on track!

GR 86.  228 HP, six speed, RWD/LSD, 4 banger, naturally aspirated, loud cabin, cloth seats, under 3,000 pounds, crap stereo and info screen, so fun and satisfying to drive.  Get em till you can't.  (Not related to previous post).  

IMG_5471.thumb.jpeg.f30bb758cbe3d3efe91e8e33ae119aa2.jpeg

Edited by jjackkrash
  • Like 3
formulaben

A buddy of mine just got one of those.  I got to drive it and yeah, it was a blast.  He's going to put the supercharger on it after the engine warranty expires.  :rockon:

• Like 2

Honestly, I think it is only a matter of time before the tractor pull guys figure out what they could do with eight Tesla traction motors and a few battery trays.

Maybe this will go the way of the Dodo soon.

spacer.png

7 hours ago, redrooster said:

I just don't think you know what you have.  All my friends that have ev have a supplemental real tow vehicle and funny enough all of their wives drive the ev....short distances.  

So my original hypothesis is holding up. 

No load 

Short distances 

For women. 

I'll tell you what, my R1T tows just fine.  If I had to tow 3 hours to have fun with my boat, it wouldn't be the truck for me, but easy solution to that, live on a lake you don't have to tow too far ;).  Just the annual hour drive to store it.

R1 - Copy.jpg

Edited by jshaff
  • Like 3
6 minutes ago, jshaff said:

I'll tell you what, my R1T tows just fine.  If I had to tow 3 hours to have fun with my boat, it wouldn't be the truck for me, but easy solution to that, live on a lake you don't have to tow too far ;).  Just the annual hour drive to store it.

R1 - Copy.jpg

I don’t understand, you mean the VAST majority of the time you don’t need to tow 80 miles an hour for six hours with no stops? What kind of a man are you?  Lol.  Nice set up. I’m sure you really hate it. :lol: 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, 85 Barefoot said:

I don’t understand, you mean the VAST majority of the time you don’t need to tow 80 miles an hour for six hours with no stops? What kind of a man are you?  Lol.  Nice set up. I’m sure you really hate it. :lol: 

The endless power to merge onto the highway is also a pretty awful towing experience. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
33 minutes ago, jshaff said:

The endless power to merge onto the highway is also a pretty awful towing experience. 

The 3.5 EB does not disappoint in this regard.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, justgary said:

The 3.5 EB does not disappoint in this regard.

I had the gen before yours, so maybe it's different, but do you not experience turbo lag?  Mine would definitely pull hard, but it would take a couple of seconds to get on boil.  I wouldn't call it instantaneous.

dizzygti
31 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

I had the gen before yours, so maybe it's different, but do you not experience turbo lag?  Mine would definitely pull hard, but it would take a couple of seconds to get on boil.  I wouldn't call it instantaneous.

I think that's more a matter of the 10 speed than the engine.....and if it's in sport, normal, or eco mode.   

On another note, I have noticed two used car dealers on my morning commute have closed up shop.   One was small, one was medium sized.   Anecdotal, but a sign of the times...

Edited by dizzygti
redrooster
1 hour ago, 85 Barefoot said:

like i said

short distance

no load

for women

you keep proving my point.  I dont get it. 

As for the history.. electric cars were very popular in the late 1800's, but were swept away with the arrival of gas engines.   I wonder if charging your car back then was a proxy for masculinity?   lol. .

15 minutes ago, redrooster said:

I wonder if charging your car back then was a proxy for masculinity?   lol. .

my guess would be the depth and quality of a man's stable.  I'm sure horseless carriages were the e-bikes/segways of their day.

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Haha 1

Ugh, I tried...

Until we have quick-swap battery modularity, which I can't believe isn't here, or we have quantum charging, which is probably a little way off, ICE needs to stick around, and I'll always have an ICE to vehicle.

There's no reason we shouldn't be able to have the former.  Pull up to a pad, press button, batteries drop out, robot carries them away, another robot lifts the replacement cells back up into place, they click in, and you're off.  Spent battery goes to onsite megacharging warehouse.  Battery packs should be assembled like lego blocks so a cell cluster can quickly be assembled for whichever vehicle pulls in.  5 mins max, just like a fuel stop.

Edited by UWSkier
  • Like 3