Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfgate problem

Surfgate won’t deploy either side. Lsv23 2014 , I get alarm error flash up MAX CURRENT DRAW - RETRACTING RIGHT - WARNING. Alternates between that and … LEFT. I tried the surfgate calibrate and service and enable. Nothing makes the gates budge

I Had the same problem on my 2014 Axis A24.  First trouble shooting I did with this issue is to jump the surfgates directly from the connectors that lead into the control box. There should be one waterproof connection harness from each side (port & starboard) that lead from the actuator into the Lenco control box (usually installed on the inside stern area above the engine). Disconnect one harness at a time and use raw wires connected to the battery to see if you get any response from the actuators. It’ll be trial and error on the polarity, so if you hear noise but the gate isn’t deploying, flip the wires (positive and negative).  
There is some good discussion of this process in the Axis forums if you need more directions. 
This process should tell you if the actuators are okay and, if so, it’s likely a bad control box or an electrical grounding issue. 

RyGuyCPA - thanks. I have a house full of kids from out of town ready to surf tomorrow and i have to get this going one way or the other. that sounds like a great temporary fix. Could you please point me to the Axis content you mentioned? i tried and couldn't find. I see many wires leading into the controller and I think I can follow the wires to find each pair that comes from each actuator. So if i connected directly to the battery then the actuator should open the surf gate. Then if i disconnect and connect again it should retract. Is that right? If you could help and call me I'd be happy to Venmo you $$$ for your help. 713-303-2921

Here is the link to the Axis post about this 

There are a ton of pics of the wiring and control box... Malibu should be similar but not exact. The trouble-shooting "battery-lead" wiring to the actuator is a tough way to surf.  I used tat connection method just to check if the actuator functioned or not.  I would NOT hook up a raw lead wire from your battery and leave it connected... you will  likely blow fuses and possibly start fires.  If you do override the control box and force the gate open with a lead from the battery you should only have it connected momentarily while you are extended the gate and you will have to reverse the + and - to retract it.  Leaving one gate extended should be fine at speeds under 13mph or so and it'll be a pain to switch from regular to goofy.  

My temporary fix when my SurfGate was not working to order the suction cup wave-maker from https://www.wakemakers.com/collections/wakesurf-systems/products/liquid-force-wakesurf-edge The surf wave was just as good as with the gates but you will need to remember to manually switch sides for regular vs. goofy and take it off when the session is done.  Best $300 I spent to continue to use 99% of the functionality of the boat.