Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ski Course Etiquette

RTS

Though I'm not much into skiing a course, one of my regular guests who is a pretty impressive skier would like to run one of the courses on the public chain of lakes we ski on.

I was wondering about the proper procedures for doing this.

How does the "line" form if someone else is using the course?

Do you just wait until they are totally done before taking the course?

Procedure for picking up downed skier in course?

Although the courses are on public lakes, I realize someone has put them there and maintains them. How do I go about contacting them to maybe offer to pitch in for maintenance? (Leave a note on a buoy or something?)

Any other "advice" those of you who regularly ski a course would like to see a rookie crew observe should they show up on your course would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Edited by rts

typically a set is 6 passes. Some clubs I ski at have that as a max so its easy to tell when the next person is up.

Generally if you get there and some one is skiing - the first skier in your boat gets ready so that once they are done you get into the water and away you go. We normally wait off of the 55m balls.

Yes you should totally wait untill they are done otherwise they may not wait for you and ruin your set.

Picking up a downed skier - immediately pull back on the throttle once the skier is down. Wait for the handle to clear the boat guides so it doesn't pull out a boat guide. Turn back to the skier at an idle to not throw waves down the lake. Circle your skier being mindfull of the rope and buoys.

Payment - if you can find the owner of the course it is a nice gesture to offer a couple of buoys. I help maintain a public course and we go through quite a few buoys a year

Wait for the handle to clear the boat guides so it doesn't pull out a boat guide.  Turn back to the skier at an idle to not throw waves down the lake. 

Thanks, man, that's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for...I would not have thought of that until I yanked a buoy out with the trailing handle...

Any more advice???

Wait untill a windy afternoon or a time where no one is using the course and pratice driving it. Start off around 28 or so and focus on centering the boat and keeping a straight path and constant speed. The speed thing wil be easy if you have PP. Then work up to sking spped (usually 36mph) Try to make sure you give the skier as long of a straight set up as possible.

Driving is not as easy as it looks. It is not super hard either. It takes a little practice even with our awesome slalom machines. Your skier definatly doesn't want his first pass behind your boat to be your first pass as a driver.

Ditto the thing on no power turns to pick up a skier. Normal wakes clear the turn bouys quickly, but rollers sent down the length of the course take a while to get rid of.

After you pull your buddy through, get him in the boat, strap on your slalom and get behind the boat!!!! Who cares if you can't run all six @ 28mph. It is still the most addicting thing to do behind a boat!!!!! Thumbup.gif

The biggest thing I had problems with was wanting to watch my skier through the mirror or turning around while driving. This is how you pop balls. (not that I've ever done it) Crazy.gif Now matter how bad you want to turn around, the minute you do, you start tracking off course.

It definitely takes a little practice especially when pulling a strong experienced skier.

If possible I would find out who owns the course and make sure they don't have a problem with you using it. Although its public water and they really cant do much about it if you do. In the long run you'll feel welcome and wont have to worry about somebody getting all bent :)

i agree with WhiteVLX. always wait until the people ahead are completely. done.

I had a course on a public lake, and i would watch newbies when they first appeared. I always appreciated it when they woudl wait for us to finish, then approach us inquiring as to the owner of the course and how to obtain permission to use it.

As for the rope. I dont see the need to pull it in. Most times it will not get snagged on a ball. the driver simply needs to be conscious that the rope is out and drive slowly until it clears. Drivers should turn around and return slowly anyway to minimize waves IMO.

wilma

Just be aware of what is going on around you. Observe someone who regularly uses the course and stick to the principle of closing the throttle when the skier falls, bring the boat to a halt in a straight line before turning through 180 degrees to retrieve them.

Almost without exception, drivers of recreational skiers on our Lake see the fallen skier as an opportunity to open the taps and do a huge hackie on their way back to pick up the skier. It takes around 20 minutes for the wakes to subside!