Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Perfect Pass and Idle Speed

I have a 1998 Malibu Sportster with a Perfect Pass. I am having problems with my idle, and I have heard it could be related to the perfect pass system? One time last year when I put the boat in Neutral the RPM's started low and reved up to 4000! After turning the motor off and restarting, the idle was up around 1200, and could  not be adjusted with the idle screw adjuster on the carb.  It then miraculously was fine the next day, idling around 550.  At the start of this boat season, it was idling great.  However, after using the perfect pass a lot yesterday, the idle creeped up again, around 1000.  I don't know how old the perfect pass is, but could it be responsible for the high idle issues?  Thank you, your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Perfect Pass can only slow the engine down.  This is a safety feature.  Check your throttle return spring to make sure it is still attached and springy.

PP is very sensitive to throttle return tension, it likes a very firm return spring.  You might also want to check for any binding in the cables, linkage, etc.  PP site has several troubleshooting documents and video guides.