Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What did you Pay? Should we ask or not??

wakeup

Tell or no tell?  

487 members have voted

1. 1. Should we disclose to an open forum what we paid for a NEW boat?

• YES
    • NO
  2. 2. Should we disclose to an open forum what we paid for a USED boat?

• YES
    • NO

As for Used Pricing....Dealers have Books in there show room to put a value on a used boat.

Has anyone tried validating the COMSUMER (not Dealer) used boat pricing from the NADA web site for comarison?

Nada gives you only Low Retail and Average Retail prices only on used boats.

Remember these are retail and not Trade-in or invoice prices which is what dealers really put as a value on boats when they take them in trade and not the inflated price you think you are getting for trade. You just pay more for the newer boat... You get my drift here.

However it is hard to judge the actual prices due to the OPTIONS Disclamer on the first page on this link for year of the boat..

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=...p;nopage=1#1003

When I priced my boat out, I seen an extra 1 or 2 options that I did not check off and were added on (Air Conditining i.e. program bug...), thus the total prices are wrong and you will need to minus these from the price totals and you get a pretty good idea where the prices for Retail come from. My goal is to try to pay trade in prices and this site does not show these prices to comsumers. You need to go to a dealer who subscribes to them and has hard copies of books to look up the values.

Also, A freshwater only used boats holds it's value better with condition of the boat over a ocean used boat.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 88Skier

• CLOUT1

• auto

• Madmanacrossthewater

How about price chart on TMC where purchasers could list their boats anonimously indicating their model, year, options, what the dealer said the retail was and what the actual sale price was? That way the info would be out there and no one would know who the dealers or purchasers were.

How about price chart on TMC where purchasers could list their boats anonimously indicating their model, year, options, what the dealer said the retail was and what the actual sale price was? That way the info would be out there and no one would know who the dealers or purchasers were.

Each post is trackable by IP. There is real no anonymous way of doing it.

• 2 weeks later...

a deals a deal, you win some and loose some ,

if people are worryed then dont post , but there is nothing that a dealer can do. they can try to treat you bad, then you just post the negative treatment lol

Edited by joshturbo
I am new to this stuff, but was doing a quick search on this topic and noticed a wide variety of questions, concerns and opinions. I am curious as to your thoughts on the subject in one forum under one topic. I compiled a list of things I cut and paste from many of you on my search through the various forums (these were for NEW boats prices paid):

We should not disclose what we paid because:

- People will lie anyway

- Hurts the customer/dealer relationship

- Dealer will find out and might not give you a good deal next time

- Price may have been a "one time" discounted price due to timing/season/close out/etc.

- What does it really gain you anyway?

- Will make the dealer upset and you have to go back for service, future boats, etc.

- Might think you got a great deal, but didn't compared to everyone else; now left feeling like crap

- Too many options on boats to compare apples to apples unless fully listed

We should disclose what we paid because:

- It let's everyone know the real price of a boat vs. msrp

- Comparison of prices let's a person measure if they got a good deal

- Brings out information not known (like an Edmunds for boats) Real price paid

- Makes the dealer's more honest

- Rather find out if I got taken, so to not let it happen the next time

- Find out the real prices of options

- Compare dealers around the country and markets

- Combat price gouging

- Every part of any information is a good thing (information is power)

- Where else can we get this information?

I'm sure that is a weak list of things, but I tried to consolidate what I found for food for thought.

THOUGHTS????

I find the topic,concerning new boats, totally taboo.A little research and you know roughly what the going rate should be.Call the guy and tell him you will pay-X,call me when you will sell it for this.As long as you feel good with the purchase thats all that matters.

Yes to both! I'm in sales and finance, and the only way to know the truth is by getting a "fair market value", and who better to ask than a few hundred of your friends? Granted some will want to inflate what they really paid for image purposes, but your true friends and/or those who are proud of the deal they got will be glad to try and help out, even if it means finding out they paid too much...lesson learned. Maybe the favor could be returned on the next boat purchase. If anyone wants to ask me what I paid, I would gladly break down exactly what was purchased, when, and where, knowing there's a good chance I may have got duped. My deal is done, let's see if a friend I may need advice from can benifit.

What should MSRP be on a 2008 LSV wakesetter? Ballpark

What "SHOULD" the MSRP be? probably $40,000

New boats are way over priced IMO. Cry.gif

The market says they are not, maybe the market will say different one day. :)

The market says they are not, maybe the market will say different one day. :)

MSRP-Manufacture "Suggested" Retail Price... not the guideline you're looking for. $40000 for an LSV would make everybody happy, but would it be the same Malibu. If the value of the product does not exceed cost, then you will not buy whatever it is you're looking to buy. We pay premium prices for Malibus because they are a premium product(agree or disagree). Looking at a $78k(MSRP) boat/trailor combo and saving over $12000, is possible. Is that a good deal to everybody? Probably not, but it may be $5k better or worse than someone else, and giving the next guy a good "fair market price." That would be my reason for a yes to the original question...to help out someone(I hope) who could/would return the favor.

My dealer here in Texas ( central texas water sports) said MSRP on a 23LSV is $80078.00 and without asking came down to $68995.00 which is pretty close to 15%

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

94 Euro F3

750 hours

500 on rebuild

tower /racks

kicker speakers

$11,600

I saw a 93 exactly like mine with tower for $13,000 north of San Antonio. Nice looking boat and I think he is willing to negotiate. If anyone is interested I'll get the number and post it.

AF1

Biggrin.gif

hey guys

I am new to this stuff, but was doing a quick search on this topic and noticed a wide variety of questions, concerns and opinions. I am curious as to your thoughts on the subject in one forum under one topic. I compiled a list of things I cut and paste from many of you on my search through the various forums (these were for NEW boats prices paid):

We should not disclose what we paid because:

- People will lie anyway

- Hurts the customer/dealer relationship

- Dealer will find out and might not give you a good deal next time

- Price may have been a "one time" discounted price due to timing/season/close out/etc.

- What does it really gain you anyway?

- Will make the dealer upset and you have to go back for service, future boats, etc.

- Might think you got a great deal, but didn't compared to everyone else; now left feeling like crap

- Too many options on boats to compare apples to apples unless fully listed

We should disclose what we paid because:

- It let's everyone know the real price of a boat vs. msrp

- Comparison of prices let's a person measure if they got a good deal

- Brings out information not known (like an Edmunds for boats) Real price paid

- Makes the dealer's more honest

- Rather find out if I got taken, so to not let it happen the next time

- Find out the real prices of options

- Compare dealers around the country and markets

- Combat price gouging

- Every part of any information is a good thing (information is power)

- Where else can we get this information?

I'm sure that is a weak list of things, but I tried to consolidate what I found for food for thought.

THOUGHTS????

• 2 weeks later...

2006 v-ride vapor blue 340 indamar illusion tower perfect pass bags 2in rear 1in front upgraded stereo upgraded steringwheel bimmi top manual wedge trailer. only 1hr on boat befor test ride bought in 07 it was last years model dealer was great i had planed to spend 45k-50k out the door, .$43,500 my first boat best toy we have ever owned maybe it was deal mayde not worth every penny.........
  • 3 weeks later...

My answer to this thread:

Paid $64,000, plus tax. Can't remember what is standard and what is an option, so apologies if I'm listing stuff that is standard.

2008 Wakesetter 23LSV with trailer (Magic Tilt)

Monsoon 340hp

Power Wedge

3 Ballast tanks

Stereo Option 2

Carpet Insert

Bow Cushion

Cover

Stainless steel exhaust

Fiberglass Swim platform

Illusion XS Tower

Dual Batteries

12" subwoofer

Dual amps - 2 x tower speakers

Traded in a 2006 Four Winns Horizon 200. Gave me $25,000 for that, which was a good price. So I paid the dealer about $40K plus the Four Winns. It is a little difficult to make any comparisons here as the trade-in value of the Four Winns throws a real subjective wrench in the data...

Overall, a top notch dealer and left with a good feeling. Support after the deal couldn't be better. After buying several new cars, and boats and airplanes, this was the most enjoyable purchase. I feel like I got a good deal, which is all that really matters...

Remember, this site doesn't exist for dealers, it does for customers like us. Open kimono = knowledge walking into the dealership. In the end, that is best for all, consumers and dealers. It is "education" for the customer, not a hard line on what should be paid, as dealers have different levels of motivation to sell.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike

2006 v-ride vapor blue 340 indamar illusion tower perfect pass bags 2in rear 1in front upgraded stereo upgraded steringwheel bimmi top manual wedge trailer. only 1hr on boat befor test ride bought in 07 it was last years model dealer was great i had planed to spend 45k-50k out the door, .$43,500 my first boat best toy we have ever owned maybe it was deal mayde not worth every penny.........
  • 1 month later...
I feel that a general idea...price range or % off MSRP is a good idea. That isn't screwing the dealers or the buyer who may be completely in the dark. Up here in the Northeast unlike perhaps Cali. and Texas I have two dealers, one in Mass. and one in CT. 300 plus miles doesn't exactly spur competition in my book. I also would have to say that these days with so many options in a new boat missing one or two in a price comparison could easily throw you off by $1,000 - $2,000...stereo, speakers, Perfect Pass, so on and so forth. As far as a dealer goes...I'm in sales and I would have to say that the relationship you have with your customers and your level of customer service is huge, so if your giving good service expect to get the sale and repeat customers and if not then...lets just say the next boat I buy, I'll probably be heading to up state New York!!!

And any salesman knows that the discounts you are offering sometimes change by the week. If our customers talked, then no one would get that "really great" deal for any reason, because we would fear the word would get around. Been said a doezen times already bbut i agree with it, if you got a great deal and intend on getting it again. Zip it.

I am planning on ordering an 09 Malibu this fall and feel like this post in particular has given me key information that will be helpful before going in and placing my order. This will be the first boat I will purchase directly through a dealer and have no experience with how discounts off MSRP generally work in comparison to cars and trucks. I have already started the initial negotiation process but feel like my inexperience gave the dealer the upper hand with the max discount they could offer

I have a few follow up questions I was hoping everyone could help me out with:

1. If I am planning to place a factory order with all options I would like to include does that change the 10-15% off MSRP general rule?

2. Is the max discount I was told still up for negotiation? Can I still come back with a counter offer, as a "take it or leave it" deal?

3. I assume the factory options are pretty much fixed in price, but what other boat specific accessories are commonly "thrown in" with the deal? Covers? Trailer Options? Tower Accessories?

4. Is the trade in value up for negotiation as well, or is that based on the "Blue Book" value?

Thanks for all the insight

Ok, from a very reliable source who recently just dropped carrying one of the big 3, mc, cc, bu, told me that the mark up on the big 3 is between 36 and 37% boat, additions, trailer. My dealer wants $5400 for a single axle boatmate trailer. I can go and buy a 24ft 7 ton flatbed equipment trailer for far less than that. MY big problem is in this area trying to negoiate a price between dealers, approximately 100 to 120 miles apart was impossible. They wanted to know where the boat was going to be used the majority of the time and a specific build sheet. In telling them where it would be used the majority of the time they then would refer me back to the closet dealer. It was very obvious that these dealers are talking to each other to protect or inhibit the ability to get a decent deal on a new boat. Most rv's/ toy haulers have the same mark up and I have been succesful at getting close to 30% off the sticker on these items.

When then source told me this I was not at all suprised after all the research I did in the toy hauler / rv field. Very similar items with similar mark ups.

...a very reliable source...told me that the mark up on the big 3 is between 36 and 37% boat...Most rv's/ toy haulers have the same mark up and I have been succesful at getting close to 30% off the sticker on these items...

If an item cost $10,000 then a 36% mark-up would yield a retail price of $13,600. $13,600 minus a 30% discount would net the dealer $9520 on something they paid $10K for (they just lost $480) . I don't think you should be looking for a 30% discount. Crazy.gif

That's one of the problems with discussing prices...lack of accuracy and / or lack of honesty.

Edited by NorCaliBu
  • 1 month later...
...a very reliable source...told me that the mark up on the big 3 is between 36 and 37% boat...Most rv's/ toy haulers have the same mark up and I have been succesful at getting close to 30% off the sticker on these items...

If an item cost $10,000 then a 36% mark-up would yield a retail price of $13,600. $13,600 minus a 30% discount would net the dealer $9520 on something they paid $10K for (they just lost $480) . I don't think you should be looking for a 30% discount. Crazy.gif

That's one of the problems with discussing prices...lack of accuracy and / or lack of honesty.

Not quite correct. Selling Price = cost/((100-margin)/100). $10,000 marked up 36% = $15,625 Minus 30% = $10,937.50. Profit of $937.50.

Not quite correct. Selling Price = cost/((100-margin)/100). $10,000 marked up 36% = $15,625 Minus 30% = $10,937.50. Profit of $937.50.

Totally agree, how can you mark something up 36% and discount it 30% and be at a lower price.

I think somebody was smoking something when this was posted Dontknow.gif

Edited by 68Slalom