Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004 Wakesetter VLX - Stalling & Surging

Inspect the screen on your regulator after you remove it. If it's dirty, then you need to find where the "dirt" is coming from, and could be contributing to your issue.  

I think there is a manual out there... but not sure. Before you buy any auto specific parts for your bu, just post on here and you'll get an answer if it's a good idea or not. Obvious ones that need to be marine are alternator and starter, for anti-spark purposes.

I bought the Clymer manual back in the day and it wasn't much help; way too generic.  My 2 cents: get the regulator and swap it out and go from there.

That's the plan - especially since I can go grab one from Napa. 

I might as well ask - anything unique about the replacement I need to know? Like having to shave metal from the plenum to get to it. 😊

4 hours ago, paulhey said:

Alright! That's great to know. I've been trying to find/ask/crack the code on which engine is the auto equivalent. That is going to be a great help going forward. 

Next step - get some parts and see if that fixes it. 

Do you know if there is a maintenance manual available? Guess I could get one for the suburban, but maybe you know of one out there for the Indmar, that I'm guessing might include some of the unique boat-motor aspects. 

I have a Clymers Indmar Manual that is helpful. I think I found it on Amazon. I have one of the Quantum fuel pumps in my spare parts box. It looks well built but I have not put it into service.

I'm back. Headed out to get the new regulator to see if that helps.

@Bozboat @formulaben @BlindSquirrel Did a quick look around the engine -- haven't had all off my coffee yet - but it didn't pop out as obvious to me where the regulator is. Is it mounted on the side right be the fuel pump? Appears to have a bracket attaching it to the frame?

The one there now, assuming original, has the vacuum connection going straight out versus at 90.

Didn't think to look into buying something to cap it. Anything special needed there?

A nudge in the right direction would be appreciated.

Edited by paulhey
More details

Here's another regulator option that I used on my 04 340 Monsoon last year.

Bosch p/n 0280160575 - purchased it from Rockauto

I just put a rubber cap over the vacuum reference 

It's this right here with the bolt in the upper left side of the bracket

spacer.png

Edited by dtm8119

Also, when you pull the old one out, it might come apart in 2-3 pieces.  Make sure you get everything out before installing the new one

2 minutes ago, dtm8119 said:

Here's another regulator option that I used on my 04 340 Monsoon last year.

Bosch p/n 0280160575 - purchased it from Rockauto

I just put a rubber cap over the vacuum reference 

It's this right here with the bolt in the upper left side of the bracket

spacer.png

Excellent and thank you @dtm8119

ill be reporting back once I get it swapped and get her back on the lake. 

1 hour ago, paulhey said:

Excellent and thank you @dtm8119

ill be reporting back once I get it swapped and get her back on the lake. 

Ok. Part question. 

Looking at the part I removed and the Bosch part - the tip where the small gasket attaches are very similar. 

The part I bought from AutoZone was a GP Sorenson 800-315 that says it's an exact fit for the Suburban engine - but I'm a little concerned that the fit isn't going to be right and the gasket on the tip might detach. 

Maybe overthinking it. 

Ok. Got the one in. Now I can't get the engine to turn over. No pressure at the gauge. 

And - I took the new regulator out and I was able to get the filter and the large gasket out but the small gasket on the tip....not sure where that went. 

sigh. 

Edited by paulhey
Clarity
36 minutes ago, paulhey said:

Ok. Got the one in. Now I can't get the engine to turn over. No pressure at the gauge. 

And - I took the new regulator out and I was able to get the filter and the large gasket out but the small gasket on the tip....not sure where that went. 

sigh. 

Guessing my next step is to disassemble the file distribution block there and pray that I can find the gasket??

Before I do that though - does anyone know if the center section in the distribution block only goes to the return hose coming out of the bottom? If so, then a complete disassembly may not be required, as it may be physically impossible for the gasket to go anywhere other than down that section. 

Tagging those who have been involved in this project so far.  

thanks!

@dtm8119 @BlindSquirrel @formulaben @Bozboat

Edited by paulhey
Clarity
41 minutes ago, paulhey said:

Guessing my next step is to disassemble the file distribution block there and pray that I can find the gasket??

Before I do that though - does anyone know if the center section in the distribution block only goes to the return hose coming out of the bottom? If so, then a complete disassembly may not be required, as it may be physically impossible for the gasket to go anywhere other than down that section. 

Tagging those who have been involved in this project so far.  

thanks!

@dtm8119 @BlindSquirrel @formulaben @Bozboat

My 99 may not be the same set up. Can you post pictures of what your looking at? Or email some photos to bozboat at gmail 

Edited by Bozboat
10 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

My 99 may not be the same set up. Can you post pictures of what your looking at? Or email some photos to bozboat at gmail 

Sent. Thanks!

I did remove the fuel line on the bottom of the distribution block. No gasket there. 

Next question - assuming I'm going to need to disassembly the block and fuel lines to find the gasket - any guidance on disconnecting the fuel lines? I started to see how firm they were, and they weren't easily budging. Before I jack something else up - I'll ask. 

Looks to me like disconnecting the line coming from the pump and the feeder to the rail would be the two that would then allow me to get the distribution off. 

If I don't see it there, then it's the line from the box to the rail, needed to get the tool to remove the line from the rail. 

I'm 20 miles away from my boat, so I can't take a picture to see how it looks compared to yours, but I would suggest that while you're in there I'd definitely replace any fuel lines if you can, as those are pushing 20 years old...

Alight. GREAT news - I took the fuel distribution block off and found the gasket!!! 

When I got get the correct fuel regulator, I'll pick up some fuel line for sure. 

That Bosch part number from @dtm8119 appears to be the correct part. Need to see if I can find it in town  or an alternate. Anyone know if alternate parts, I'm all ears!

Just now, formulaben said:

Take this with a healthy dose of salt, but I have GM Part #17089203 on my cheat sheet for replacement parts...I undoubtedly copied it from someone where but absolutely cannot vouch for it.

That would be for your 2002 boat though, right?  Which requires a different fuel pressure than the 2004.

Maybe this is the question to ask - what is the vehicle equivalent for my 2004? If it is the 1999 suburban, then I guess I need to make sure the regulator is one with a captive gasket. 

3 minutes ago, paulhey said:

2004 Wakesetter VLX is mine. 

Then you'll be good to go with the Bosch one I mentioned earlier.  Unaware of any other alternative p/n's.

8 minutes ago, dtm8119 said:

That would be for your 2002 boat though, right?  Which requires a different fuel pressure than the 2004.

Oopsie, thanks for catching that...