Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lets Talk Docking....

Ronnie

On 6/9/2022 at 3:24 PM, onwi said:

How would you all set up your knots for docking somewhere without cleats for an extended time frame?  When we rent cabins I inevitably end up tying off to dock posts and setting my line lengths to reach my boat cleats at a safe length with bumpers between the boat and dock.  The knots I use to tie off to the posts, I'm sure, would garner a worthy laugh from some.  Any suggestions?

If at all possible I try to loop around something on the dock and then tie off to my boats cleats.  If I can't do that I will default to bowlines.  If I have to tie off to a big round piling sometimes I will use a clove hitch with a couple half hitches with the free end.  

Just last night walking along the waterfront an searay cruiser floated off the dock with the owners on the boat just clueless. Talked to them quickly and apparently it drifted on shore a few weeks ago :rofl:

The best knot or splice in the world won't stop a duck from chewing your line in two. Been there. Now use two lines of slightly different lengths on my mooring ball.

For things that are set once and forget, like the end of an anchor line or something, I use a double figure 8 knot for rock climbing.  I can tie it super fast and its doesn't move.  I also keep a butterfly knot about 40 ft up my anchor line for my anchor buddy. 

I cannot comment on tying off to a dock cleat, but I use these: https://www.overtons.com/dockmate-snubber-dock-line-4-300857.html?dwvar_300857_color=red  They work fantastic off my ski pylon to a cleat on the dock.  usually only need one but I just use the rear tow bar as a second tie down point.

• 1 year later...

If your boat lacks cleats, they are simple to add. Make sure your vessel has at least three cleats on either the starboard or port side. You can tie up your boat on any side of the dock.

Edited by daltonn
NorCalSurfer
18 hours ago, daltonn said:

If your boat lacks cleats, they are simple to add. Make sure your vessel has at least three cleats on either the starboard or port side. You can tie up your boat on any side of the dock.

Mine only has 2 on each side. I can’t believe my sales rep did inform me to get three. The two have indentions for them. Obviously I can’t do that if I add another set. So what do I need to know when adding another set?

Same design, just branded for Malibu. Some other designs require 4 holes instead of 2, so I'm strongly recommend the 2 hole design, and 6" cleats hold larger ropes way better, so go big if able.