Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfing & Exhaust - How Does Malibu Stack Up?

Donnieb

Medium CO exposure - severe, throbbing headache, drowsiness, confusion, fast heart rate
It is CO2 that is the dangerous stuff, and odorless....
No.gif ...CO = Carbon Monoxide...
:Doh:Dang man.. and I know the difference... and I thought to myself, when typing that, don't screw it up...
Since you're not directly behind the boat when surfing, I would think that the side-swipe exhaust would put the exhaust more directly in front of you.
I've always thought the same.
You can choose which side the exaust comes out, port or starboard.
:Doh:I knew that. :lol:

...confusion...

You two been sniffin' CO? Crazy.gif

EDIT: Now that is efficient use of the "quote" function. :)

Edited by NorCaliBu

the only thing that i have heard of being an issue is teak surfing but kinda expected :Doh: . its like put your head right next to the exhaust and saying i wonder i will breath in any CO? Crazy.gif

and I thought to myself, when typing that, don't screw it up.. Dontknow.gif
Now you know how Justin feels every time he sits down to the keyboard. :lol:
Mild CO exposure - slight headache, nausea, vomiting, fatigue

Interesting. These are the exact symptoms that may become prominent when watching someone contort in order to pat himself on the back. . .

EDIT: Now that is efficient use of the "quote" function. :)
Interesting. These are the exact symptoms that may become prominent when watching someone contort in order to pat himself on the back. . .
:lol: Deal with it. ;)
I grew up surfing in Southern California, and I want my next boat to be a great crossover boat (for skiing and surfing). The more I've thought about it, though, the more I'm leaning toward surfing, as it's something the whole family is interested in. So, after researching this a bit, it looks like I'm still considering the VTX (with a cut diamond hull), the VLX (with a diamond hull), or skipping the skiing all together and getting a great surfing boat (likely by Centurion -- either the Enzo SV230, 216, or the Avalanche).

I know, I know...I'm on a Malibu forum asking this question. Sorry about that! But I thought you could help me sort through the marketing hype of the Centurion Sideswipe exhaust system – one of their big selling points. I know the sideswipe is a lot louder than the Malibu exhaust system (because Centurion's exhaust is above the water), but I was curious to know how other's feel about the exhaust on their Malibu. Is it an issue when surfing? Have there been any reports of surfers getting sick (on a Malibu, Nautique, MC, etc.)? Or is the Sideswipe just a marketing gimmick?

Thanks.

Donnie

well if you get a 07 malibu you can get the monsoon 340 and that has the cat system which is a 4 star EPA rating and you will be fine with it. Biggrin.gif

Yep the exhaust issue is a non issue.

As long as the boat is moving the dliution factor is huge.

We have logged several hundred hours wake surfing with no exhaust issue whatso ever.

That said - behind Todd's VLX I seem to get beer foam on me all the time.

That is because you don't fit it all in your mouth... Shocking.gif ...take it to the face!!!

One thing that I've noticed when we're surfing is that the exhaust smell is much more prominent in the cabin vs. on the surfboard behind the boat, enough that it can make you start to feel sick if we let it go too long. Now, we have the turndowns so I'm not sure what effect that has on this. But I know that when we open the windshield, it really clears out the cabin. So we've just gotten to where we run with it open when we're surfing (no exceptions), & it's fine both in the cabin & behind the boat like that.

The other thing that I've noticed (& this is just general exhaust, not surfing related) is that the Hammerhead is one stinky motor, much more so than the '04 that we had. We don't leave it idling when the next rider is gearing up, the only exception is if someone is ready to hop in on a surfboard or wakeskate. You'll choke someone on the platform with the fumes. Again, I'm not totally sure if it's the Hammerhead or the turndowns. The motor runs like a violated primate, so I'm not willing to "have it looked at" since it aint broke (if you take my meaning). I suspect that they program these motors to run on the rich side to keep pre-detonation from occuring, BICBW.