Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Have a 99 Sunsetter LX w/ the Monsoon.  Having an issue where all my electric on the dash goes in & out.  Its slowly gotten worse with time.  This year starting out, the gauges don't work, the blower didn't work, & even the radio.   The Battery was fully charged, the boat starts right up with no issues, even when none of the things on the dash are working.  After getting up to speed all the sudden, everything will start working, but will then all of it will keep randomly cutting on & off.  Is this most likely a ground issue? Or the computer going out  (I know that it can be with gauges, but it doesn't make sense to me with the blower & radio also not working, they shouldn't be running thru the computer, are they? I don't have a battery switch on it.   Appreciate any feedback .  Thanks 

To me it sounds like a ground issue. The gauges on the dash are ran by a computer, but the blower, radio, and all the switches on the dash are just plain switches. Check your ground connections for corrosion starting from the battery.

Thats what I thought.  Anyone have any idea where the grounds are ?  I know there is one on the engine block.  Wondering if there is on on the fuse panel by the drivers leg or something in that fuse panel that might be effecting everything on the dash

The fuse panel will only have the hots inside, and each switch on the dashboard is individually fused. Perhaps it might be a distribution problem on the hots inside of the fuse panel.

Since the boat is fiberglass, there isn't a chassis ground like a car, rather ground busses throughout the boat. If you follow the ground wire from one of the dead switches it should lead to a ground bus that is giving you problems. Then check all the plugs for corrosion.

• Like 2
malibu831

My gauges stopped working entirely.... I still have power to the blower, bilge pump and stereo.  But when I go to start up my boat, it sounds like my gauges are stuck or "dance" and then no reaction.  Should I be checking my grounds as well and cleaning them?

“E”, all of the above! I would get my batteries tested as well. Sounds a lot like they are going south. On my 2010, when I had low voltage the dash was the first thing to act squirrelly. 

• 1 month later...

Ok, latest update on my issue.  I found the main ground on the engine, unbolted it & cleaned it all up & put it back together, no change, same intermittent issue.  

More info: when I turn on one of the rotary switches, the engine beeps - like when you 1st put the key in & turn the key.  Gauges, radio, bilge, blower, anything tied to the rotary switches on the dash all not working, but boat still starts right up & runs great  - so had the boat running & had the light switch turned to "on" ( even though they weren't working), turned the Key to Off, yet the engine kept running. Then turned the rotary light knob back to Off & turned the key Off & the engine turned right off.  Tested it again & same thing - started right up, turned a switch to On & it wouldn't turn off, Turned the switch back to off, & then the engine would turn off.

Ignition switch maybe?  or anyone have any other ideas?  Figured I'd start with the ignition switch, it's easier to change than taking apart the fuse panel.    any recommendations on where to get it from ?   

Thanks

3 minutes ago, Horns1 said:

Ok, latest update on my issue.  I found the main ground on the engine, unbolted it & cleaned it all up & put it back together, no change, same intermittent issue.  

More info: when I turn on one of the rotary switches, the engine beeps - like when you 1st put the key in & turn the key.  Gauges, radio, bilge, blower, anything tied to the rotary switches on the dash all not working, but boat still starts right up & runs great  - so had the boat running & had the light switch turned to "on" ( even though they weren't working), turned the Key to Off, yet the engine kept running. Then turned the rotary light knob back to Off & turned the key Off & the engine turned right off.  Tested it again & same thing - started right up, turned a switch to On & it wouldn't turn off, Turned the switch back to off, & then the engine would turn off.

Ignition switch maybe?  or anyone have any other ideas?  Figured I'd start with the ignition switch, it's easier to change than taking apart the fuse panel.    any recommendations on where to get it from ?   

Thanks

I'm no electrician, and I hate chasing gremlins.  Ignition switches are cheap and pretty easy to replace.  I'd definitely put a new one in and see if it clears things up.

• 2 months later...

Remove the cannon plug (engine harness connector) and make sure that the connectors are clean.  Use a small blade to gently spread the split male pins to make sure they make good contact.

If still no joy, lay on your back and clean/tighten every connection under the dash.

Cannon plug on the engine ?? Not the plug into the computer under the dash, correct? I’ve tightened every freaking connection under the dash - taken the panel out & cleaned & taken every connection off the bus bar.  Thanks 

It's behind the engine, near the bell-housing and tranny. That's my bet. To me, it sounds like a group of hot's are not happy. But what is weird, is you get the gauges to dance, but nothing else.

Steve b.