Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stern Turn housing gone

Any one had this happen?  As we put the boat on the lift this afternoon, noticed the housing around the stern turn prop is gone.  Seemed to work fine, got in the slip no problem, worked good all afternoon, it's not under the boat.

Might actually work better, not sure, seems less likely to cavitate with being in the housing.

20220501_175719.jpg

20220501_175723.jpg

Edited by Dirtysidedown

If the blade is made to run with the housing as a boundary then it may slip more water off the sides and have a little less thrust than if it was still together.  Might unequally load the bearings only having a boundary on one side.

I would avoid pedicures before going out on the boat, in the case of lost toe would not want to also loose a fresh pedicure.  That and ropes.  :-)

• Like 2

I hear ya, I'm definitely gonna take it in for a warranty visit.  

Just curious how the casing/housing would split and fall off like that.  The last time out, I did notice some slight daylight  in the connection seam where the 2 halves clip together.

Edited by Dirtysidedown
19 hours ago, Dirtysidedown said:

I hear ya, I'm definitely gonna take it in for a warranty visit.  

Just curious how the casing/housing would split and fall off like that.  The last time out, I did notice some slight daylight  in the connection seam where the 2 halves clip together.

You are actually missing the entire tunnel... (top and bottom).  The tunnel is two pieces split down the middle vertically (not horizontally), so a left and right side. so the clips that hold it together and in place seem to have broken and part of the tunnel went left and part went right.  I believe it just snaps in place (no screws.) Guessing it came off when you weren't using the thruster (otherwise I would have likely made a terrible noise and banged up your impeller.)  

6 hours ago, gregtay said:

You are actually missing the entire tunnel... (top and bottom).  The tunnel is two pieces split down the middle vertically (not horizontally), so a left and right side. so the clips that hold it together and in place seem to have broken and part of the tunnel went left and part went right.  I believe it just snaps in place (no screws.) Guessing it came off when you weren't using the thruster (otherwise I would have likely made a terrible noise and banged up your impeller.)  

Fair point on when it came apart.  Would have been a "WHAT WAS THAT" moment, not in a good way.

• 1 year later...

YES!  I have just discovered mine is missing...it's at the dealer now trying to assess the situation.  They said they were working on a quote for the replacement parts... I told them hold up, I believe this is a manufacturers problem..... so now I'm waiting to hear how this is going to play out.  I have a 2020 24MXZ with around 150 hours.  How did you get yours resolved?