Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1999 sportster - cooling system

aaronbrooks

Hey guys, another dude asking cooling questions. This is for the stock 5.7 carb motor. Does anyone have the part numbers for the 160 thermostat and all gasket sets required? I have a small leak at the thermostat housing.

Secondly  I've had this cooling issue for 2 years now and it's time to solve it for good. Temp rises to 160 at normal pace, then bounces around high and back to 160 quickly, almost like it's a ground issue or something. I need to start going through the whole system to find the culprit (assuming it's not the thermostat). I replaced the raw water pump last year, didn't solve it. From what I've read I need to check the temp sensor, all ground wires, and maybe even the circulation pump? I don't know anything about the circ pump. Please help wise ones. 

Edited by aaronbrooks

Thermostat: https://skidim.com/thermostat-160-degree-r-w-c.html

Gaskets: https://skidim.com/gasket-t-stat-housing-to-intake-gm.htmlhttps://skidim.com/gskt-tstat-cover-gm-indmar-98.html

For your erratic gauge behavior I would first check the cannon plug at the back of the engine and make sure it's connected tightly. I also recommend running an additional thick-gauge ground wire from the negative terminal of the battery to the large stud on the ground bus bar underneath the dash. This helped solve a lot of gauge issues for me. One thing to test is to observe your gauges when you turn on and off accessories - blower, bilge, lights, stereo etc. If you notice them bouncing around or moving higher when you do this it's probably a grounding issue.

1 hour ago, drh said:

check the cannon plug

Indeed!  The Cannon plug on that year should have split male pins.  Gently spread them with a sharp tool such as your pocket knife or a small chisel to make sure they make good contact with the female sockets.  A small dab of grease on them will help keep oxidation away.

The circulation pump is what you would call the water pump on a car engine.  They rarely fail, but can cause temp issues when they do.  Get a marine rated one that has a bronze impeller, not a car one that has a steel impeller.  If you have closed cooling with proper coolant, it doesn't matter which one you use.

Also, marine thermostats are specific, they have corrosion resistance that automotive ones do not.  Automotive stats can corrode and will become sticky / stuck.  Your description sounds electrical in nature.