Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Static!

alcoprop

24 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

haha I was gonna say the same thing... but then remembered that there's a dsp in the signal path (and one would hope that the signal out of the dsp to the full range speakers is high passed).  doubtful the white noise is in that under 100hz range for testing purposes.

That's true. But there's not DSP yet in the signal path.  However, when you flip that switch you throw another filter stage into the signal path.  Since the OP has some poltergeist junk going on it's nice to cast about for some clues. 

1 minute ago, alcoprop said:

Got it. I will try that and see. The hiss that I was testing the amp on has the Rev10s on it. 

Uhm.  Stick to cabin speakers going forward.  The Rev10s have an HLCD I think.  Those things hiss if a turkey farts two states over.  Stick to an amp with a cabin REVO co-axial.  If you can just unplug the ampt so that the one one closest to the compartment you're hanging out of is making changes, then all the more efficient your work flow.

• 1 month later...

Still having this issue. Boat is now back down at the lake full time so my high power electrical lines were not the cause. 

I did however notice something weird. I put the boat up on the lift and noticed a plastic bag wrapped around the prop. Climbed onto the lift and grabbed the prop and I got shocked. Not super hard but enough that I noticed it. I was grounding myself out on the metal lift when it happened. The battery switch was off and my on board charger was plugged in. My assumption is I have a ground issue? What are your thoughts? 

Edited by alcoprop

I think you have 2 issues.  

One is that you are leaking electricity somewhere that shocked you.  The difference between fatal and not is a bit of luck in how the electricity travels across your body.  What is uncomfortable one time could be serious another time if the charge goes across your body a different way.  It could be that the lift is charged and the boat is grounded well so you cant assume that the "leak" is in the boat.

Also when you have a problem on the dock you also have to worry about charging the water around the doc.  When that happens your muscles are not under your control and you sink.  And anyone that jumps in to help you sinks.  This does not happen often but it is a thing.

Second issue is that if you were properly grounded you would not feel the "leak".

I have been hung up when a piece of equipment had a short as I touched it and the equipment ground was also faulty.  The only thing I could move was one leg, was able to swing it and roll away.  It does not have to be enough to kill you quickly, you might just sit there a bit aware and not be able to do anything about it.  

What you describe could easily be fatal and needs to be resolved.  

11 hours ago, Surf4FamFun said:

I think you have 2 issues.  

One is that you are leaking electricity somewhere that shocked you.  The difference between fatal and not is a bit of luck in how the electricity travels across your body.  What is uncomfortable one time could be serious another time if the charge goes across your body a different way.  It could be that the lift is charged and the boat is grounded well so you cant assume that the "leak" is in the boat.

Also when you have a problem on the dock you also have to worry about charging the water around the doc.  When that happens your muscles are not under your control and you sink.  And anyone that jumps in to help you sinks.  This does not happen often but it is a thing.

Second issue is that if you were properly grounded you would not feel the "leak".

I have been hung up when a piece of equipment had a short as I touched it and the equipment ground was also faulty.  The only thing I could move was one leg, was able to swing it and roll away.  It does not have to be enough to kill you quickly, you might just sit there a bit aware and not be able to do anything about it.  

What you describe could easily be fatal and needs to be resolved.  

It is not my personal dock. It’s a marina and all the slips are brand new. There are about 300 slips there that were just built and all new electric. I know this doesn’t mean anything but I will let the marina know that they should check everything out. 

• Like 1

Ok so update on the dock issue. Again this is at a public marina with 300 or so slips that were just built last year. Electrician tested everything and the marina is not the issue. I brought my voltage detector down (the stick kind that tones) and as soon as I touch the boat any where it lights up. I have the on board charger plugged into the dock power. Unplug the charger and it goes away. Any thoughts?