Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Static!

alcoprop

Have you tried disconnecting the stereo battery bank from the boat?  And then triggering the amps to turn on from the battery bank rather than from the HU?  That would be just amps connected from batteries and hooked to speakers but totally isolated from the boat. If the white noise goes away then it would suggest that the noise is from the “boat” side of the electrical systeM and the amps are OK. Could prolly even put the 810 into the signal path that way too. 

Not sure if this has been mentioned, is there potentially a ground loop contacting the audiocontrol at all? Perhaps the audiocontrol is damaged and needs replaced.

Just now, shawndoggy said:

Have you tried disconnecting the stereo battery bank from the boat?  And then triggering the amps to turn on from the battery bank rather than from the HU?  That would be just amps connected from batteries and hooked to speakers but totally isolated from the boat. If the white noise goes away then it would suggest that the noise is from the “boat” side of the electrical systeM and the amps are OK. Could prolly even put the 810 into the signal path that way too. 

The way that I have one amp hooked up right now is power and remote turn on straight from the starting batter to the amp, speakers hooked up and gain turned all the way down. Still have static. 

Just now, Brandonloos21 said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned, is there potentially a ground loop contacting the audiocontrol at all? Perhaps the audiocontrol is damaged and needs replaced.

I still have static with everything bypassed except one amp. 

10 minutes ago, alcoprop said:

I still have static with everything bypassed except one amp. 

Did you try using no source unit, rca to 3.5 straight into amps 

3 minutes ago, Brandonloos21 said:

Did you try using no source unit, rca to 3.5 straight into amps 

I don’t even have a source unit hooked into the amp. It’s power ground speaker wire and remote turn on. Soon as the amp turns on I have the static. No source into the amp. 

40 minutes ago, Slurpee said:

Where do you have the amp gain set at on a scale of 1 to 10?

Just hooked up a JL amp that I have to my tower speakers. Again everything bypassed amp straight to battery with no RCAs and still have static. I’m sitting in my boat and looking up and wonder if this is the problem? Could these power lines be interfering and causing static? 

image.jpg

Oh yes. That can happen. Get some crap rca cables. Cut them a few inches from the connector and short all the wires together. Plug them in and short those inputs at the amp. See what you get. 

1 minute ago, Slurpee said:

Oh yes. That can happen. Get some crap rca cables. Cut them a few inches from the connector and short all the wires together. Plug them in and short those inputs at the amp. See what you get. 

Take a pair of RCAs and cut them open and tie everything together and then plug them into the amp? That way it is just a loop? Is that what you mean? 

1 minute ago, Slurpee said:

short all the wires together.

This is what I said to do a while ago, but was told to "see above post."  The noise is also described as white noise and static.  They are different.

1 minute ago, justgary said:

This is what I said to do a while ago, but was told to "see above post."  The noise is also described as white noise and static.  They are different.

Enh. Semantics to most. Amplifier inputs are high impedance and can pick up all sorts of noise. 

2 minutes ago, justgary said:

I apologize.

44 minutes ago, alcoprop said:

The way that I have one amp hooked up right now is power and remote turn on straight from the starting batter to the amp, speakers hooked up and gain turned all the way down. Still have static. 

right, but the starting battery is still connected to your battery switch, right?  I'm suggesting to hook everything up as if you dropped a battery into the middle of the floor in the boat, and you want to make the amps and speakers come on.  where the stereo is 100% independent from anything else in the boat's electrical system.  doesn't go to a battery switch or anything.  no bilge pump connected, no wire to a breaker for the helm, etc.

1 minute ago, shawndoggy said:

right, but the starting battery is still connected to your battery switch, right?  I'm suggesting to hook everything up as if you dropped a battery into the middle of the floor in the boat, and you want to make the amps and speakers come on.  where the stereo is 100% independent from anything else in the boat's electrical system.  doesn't go to a battery switch or anything.  no bilge pump connected, no wire to a breaker for the helm, etc.

That is what I did unhooked the switch, left the ground hooked up made 2 new wires for power and ground and hooked them straight to the battery. 

Hmmm.  LOL I'm one for finding the easy solution rather than working hard on the details.  I'd probably tow the boat 5 miles down the road (away from those power lines) and see if it's still doing it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Hmmm.  LOL I'm one for finding the easy solution rather than working hard on the details.  I'd probably tow the boat 5 miles down the road (away from those power lines) and see if it's still doing it.

That is probably next on my list. 

1 hour ago, alcoprop said:

Well if I did this correct it made no change. 

image.jpg

All inputs at the same time....

57 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

I could agree with this.

11 minutes ago, Slurpee said:

I'm not sure what speakers you're using, on that amp in that picture, but flip the DIP from Full to High and set the XO to like 125-150Hz.

haha I was gonna say the same thing... but then remembered that there's a dsp in the signal path (and one would hope that the signal out of the dsp to the full range speakers is high passed).  doubtful the white noise is in that under 100hz range for testing purposes.

31 minutes ago, Slurpee said:

I'm not sure what speakers you're using, on that amp in that picture, but flip the DIP from Full to High and set the XO to like 125-150Hz.

Yeah there is a DSP in line 

3 minutes ago, alcoprop said:

Yeah there is a DSP in line 

Not with your preamps removed there isn't.  It's a fast test to throw a 20dB/decade filter at the near end frequencies to see what happens to the hiss/static/noise if anything.  

2 minutes ago, Slurpee said:

Not with your preamps removed there isn't.  It's a fast test to throw a 20dB/decade filter at the near end frequencies to see what happens to the hiss/static/noise if anything.  

Got it. I will try that and see. The hiss that I was testing the amp on has the Rev10s on it.