Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Why does my toolbox stink?

HRemington

I don't know if anyone else experiences this, maybe it's just me, though I have noticed this before with toolboxes. I've got a relatively new, nice big yellow, I think Stanley, toolbox. Clear cover on top for little do-lolly compartments, then the main latches to get to the removable tray on top, then the more cavernous bottom compartment for everything else that is too big. That part particularly, just stinks...I don't even know how to categorize the smell...just stinky, greasy metal I guess.

What does it and is there anything to do about it? I've even tried throwing a dryer sheet in there, but to very little avail. Is there any cure? And as always, if you can't be serious about your answers as I always strive to be, don't bother. Crazy.gif

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VinRLX

• HRemington

• LS-One

• Beau

It's where you live, you Yazoo! The humidity factor is the simple culprit.

Make yourself a miniature moisture collector, IE Damp Rid, and you'll have yourself the effervescence of Crescent Wrenches before you know it.

I've noticed certain plastics have a stinky smell, sniff your tools one by one and you'll find the culprit. I'll bet it will be a hard plastic srewdriver handle.

I would suggest you do this in private as to avoid any embarrassing moments.

Depends on where you been usin' your tool too :unsure:

If you are that careless with your tools, than one deserves to have his tools stink. Yuk.gif

I can barely bring myself to respond. . .I am laughing so hard. This is the most ludicrous thread I have ever seen.

Can you just see Hank sitting down for lunch at the construction site: "Hey, Joe, I'm having a little trouble with my toolbox. . .it's got an unpleasant odor. . ." "Yah, Hank, I've been gonna mention something to you about that. Used to have the same problem before I switched to carbon fiber-handled screwdrivers." :lol:ROFL.gif

Hank, put a couple charcoal briquettes in a knee-high and drop it in the box.

What a WIENIE!

This is the most ludicrous thread I have ever seen.

The only ludicrous thread is the one never started. Someday, Jack, the handle end of your tool will be stinky or the box of someone you love will be rank, and you'll think back and thank me.

BTW, thanks for the tip on other uses for a guy's knee-highs...sounds like you've had to deal with embarrassing personal odors before, but I don't recommend pulling knee-highs out of your toolbox on the construction site, either. Biggrin.gif

Hey, hey, hey this is Not Ludicrous!! I've wondered the same thing too, for years. I have suspected the screw drivers but I've never been man enough to smell them.

Someday, Jack, the handle end of your tool will be stinky or the box of someone you love will be rank, and you'll think back and thank me.

So you are saying you have a box, Hank? Well that explains a lot. Biggrin.gif

BTW, I think it's probably your innuendo that smells, eh, er, fishy. Tongue.gif

Someday, Jack, the handle end of your tool will be stinky or the box of someone you love will be rank, and you'll think back and thank me.

So you are saying you have a box, Hank? Well that explains a lot. Biggrin.gif

BTW, I think it's probably your innuendo that smells, eh, er, fishy. Tongue.gif

A. Note I said the box of someone "you" love...don't make me draw a picture for you.

B. This from the guy with the stinky Christmas tree??? Tongue.gif

Edited by HRemington

The charcoal in the knee high is a great idea but, it does not address the entire problem. The charcoal will only serve to mask the offensive odor in lieu of finding the root cause. Temporary solutions are never permanent.

OK, at the risk of incurring Jack's continued ridicule and attack on my manhood (to which I say he can bite every tool in the box including the big adjustable pipe wrench), I'll admit to now having sniffed every tool, and the odor is so pervasive that everything smells the same way. I guess I'll have to take everything out and clean it all off with Brak Kleen or something like it. Is there anything I can just soak them all in?

Hank, I think what you need to do is to use your tools more often. That way, you'll get used to the smell and won't only not find it offensive, but you may actually even learn to like it.

Maybe if you don't keep you tuna sandwich in there nor scratch your intimites with you screw drivers, that will help. Or put a sanitary pad in there, it will make your tools feel fresh as a daisy... Crazy.gif

well Saturday Night Live did a skit many years back about a special spray call ADS. A$$ Don't Stink. Maybe you need some TDS - Tools Don't Stink.

I bet my toobox wins the prize for stinkin the most! I'm in the gas (Propane) business. Everything we own smells like mercaptan (thats what they odorize gas with). I have been told that using rocksalt will help kill the odor. **Just don't let anyone be puttin no rocksalt into someone's box!!* ( I can't believe I just said that)

This is the most ludicrous thread I have ever seen.

I don't think so, Tim. I've been waiting to use that one. :lol:

The charcoal in the knee high is a great idea but, it does not address the entire problem. The charcoal will only serve to mask the offensive odor in lieu of finding the root cause. Temporary solutions are never permanent.

Ah, but charcoal does not mask, it absorbs. But still, sometimes even permanent solutions become temporary. :)

Hank, I think what you need to do is to use your tools more often. That way, you'll get used to the smell and won't only not find it offensive, but you may actually even learn to like it.

ROFL.gif I was going to say that, but was concerned that Tim might think I was picking on him or insulting his limited manhood. Crazy.gif

Do you have a liner or anything in the tool box -

Maybe segregate the tools - and see if the smell changes.

Seriously, I think Troy may be onto something here. I keep some wrenches (adjustable metric, of course) in my glove box wrapped in drawer liner. There is an odor in there that only became noticeable after I put the stuff in there.

I bet my toobox wins the prize for stinkin the most! I'm in the gas (Propane) business. Everything we own smells like mercaptan (thats what they odorize gas with). I have been told that using rocksalt will help kill the odor. **Just don't let anyone be puttin no rocksalt into someone's box!!* ( I can't believe I just said that)

"I don't work at a gas station! I sell propane and propane accesories" - Hank Hill :lol: