Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Beginner Foiling setup?

CaptainMorgan

This is exactly the info I was looking for, thanks. I think I’ll save my pennies for an Axis or Gofoil setup so I can switch out components as I progress. 

Anyone have any opinions about Lift Foils?

I ordered a surf helmet, so now I basically have to get a foil setup.....

Edited by CDAWake
  • Haha 2
On 1/7/2024 at 4:43 PM, CDAWake said:

Anyone have any opinions about Lift Foils?

I ordered a surf helmet, so now I basically have to get a foil setup.....

What helmet did you get?  

Ride Engine Barrier soft helmet. It came today, pretty minimal which is what I wanted. 

looking at getting a Lift setup. 4’0” 30L board, 150 surf V2 wing and not sure about the tail yet, probably the bigger Carve wing and a 28” mast. 

1 hour ago, CDAWake said:

looking at getting a Lift setup. 4’0” 30L board, 150 surf V2 wing and not sure about the tail yet, probably the bigger Carve wing and a 28” mast. 

Sounds like a good setup. 

I ride a 30L board; I think it's a good spot as its light enough to pump around but still solid and some float that'll probably help save some hard landings from pearling the nose.

28" mast will be good all purpose - any shorter and you'd breach constantly, longer and it's harder to control/learn. 

I say do it. I dare you...:)

23 hours ago, CDAWake said:

Ride Engine Barrier soft helmet. It came today, pretty minimal which is what I wanted. 

I use Lift foils. They are extremely high quality and have amazing customer service.  I started with your typical slingshot setup behind the boat, then got into efoiling and bought a lift efoil. Then bought a classic mast to be able to use my efoil wings behind the boat. I'm 220 lbs and really like my 200 HA behind the boat. 150 surf v2 could be great if you are smaller. Some discussion of lift foils for wake foiling here: 

I use a 3'6" exostryke board that is hard for beginners to get up on. If I had to do it again, I'd prob get a slightly bigger board so it could be more versatile for others to try. I'm now looking to pickup a cheap beginner board for teaching.

I have ridden a few different lift foils and I have to say both were great. At the time the high aspect foil I rode was just too much for me.  But the smaller surf foil was the first I ever went ropeless on and put me over the moon as far as confidence and progression on my own foil. I have a good group of foil guys who have all kinds of stuff to try out. I am still rockin my slingshot setup with a high aspect wing but honestly I used it very little this past year. I think this year I will be pulling the trigger on an axis setup when the time comes. 

• 2 months later...

I just ordered the following from Armstrong:

CF1600 foil kit (72cm mast, 60cm fuse, HS232 tail) 
WKT109

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2024 at 8:29 PM, dshack said:

then got into efoiling and bought a lift efoil. 

Which one did you get?  It is hard to see the difference between the 3 and 4 on their site.

Does your efoil fit in your board rack?  Can you charge it via your Bu?

1 hour ago, Five Cent Worth said:

Which one did you get?  It is hard to see the difference between the 3 and 4 on their site.

Does your efoil fit in your board rack?  Can you charge it via your Bu?

I started with a used v2 5'0", then sold it and upgraded to a new v4 4'2". There isn't a huge difference between the versions in my opinion. They claim it's quieter and I believe them, but on the water with wind and everything I can't really tell. There are minor improvements that I like (battery compartment doesn't get "air locked" when changing elevation due to new hinge design, better antenna placement improves connection to remote, etc.).

The biggest concern with buying an older gen used one would be warranty support. Lift has been incredible for me, but they could have made me pay for some repair parts on my original used board if they wanted to be a stickler. You 100% will have something that needs to be replaced at some point. And if it is a battery, that is big $$.

When we go boat camping, I bring my eFoil but just set it in the bow unassembled. The wings/battery/mast fit in the observer compartment. I wouldn't want to put it in a rack due to the weight and thickness.

I'm sure it's possible to charge off the boat with an inverter, but I just have a little honda generator I bring along for long trips. I also have 2 batteries which makes it a lot easier.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, dshack said:

I wouldn't want to put it in a rack due to the weight and thickness.

I'm sure it's possible to charge off the boat with an inverter, but I just have a little honda generator I bring along for long trips. I also have 2 batteries which makes it a lot easier.

this.   i've used my friends eFoil a number of times and these would be heavy /awkward machines to have on a boat when assembled.  Dimensions probably 50-100% greater in all ways than my 30L foilboard and weight is probably 40-50 lbs total (the battery alone can be >25 lbs). 

rough math says i wouldn't charge it using your boat either -- if its a 10kg battery, with 100 Whr/kg capacity, you're talking 1000 Watt-hr.  if you wanted to charge that in an hour, that's 12V at 80 Amps continuously from your system -- almost like stern turn used for an hour straight :)  separate 2kw honda generator sounds perfect for remote charging, or the 2nd battery.

bottom line: i wouldn't consider efoils an accessory you bring onto a boat, more of its own separate thing that operates in parallel.