Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Flake or no flake

Olddognewtricks

5 hours ago, GSell14 said:

I have a 25 LSV in Zephyr Blue Metallic.  In the shade or heavy overcast days, its a dark blue, almost black in the shade.  In the sun, it really pops! 

Let’s see some photos

On 3/1/2022 at 9:55 PM, Olddognewtricks said:

Hi folks, have to finalize the details on my 23 lsv build and trying to decide on whether to Make the zephyr blue flake or just plain gel coat.   

any opinions or experiences? Love to see pics if you have them.  

Here’s my plan for the design…

4CDB46DD-D737-42B5-A6A0-C6F15F01C481.jpeg

Yea, I like your build with blue flake.

I would also take the blue off the tower or go with a white tower.

Olddognewtricks
2 minutes ago, Five Cent Worth said:

Yea, I like your build with blue flake.

I would also take the blue off the tower or go with a white tower.

Yes.  I was leaning that direction too but my daughter liked the blue.   Since I wouldn’t grant her wishes on a pink boat I let her decide on the tower.    Also when I asked her about “sparkly” (flake) or not, she said “Sparkly of course”, so that’s where we are. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Olddognewtricks said:

Yes.  I was leaning that direction too but my daughter liked the blue.   Since I wouldn’t grant her wishes on a pink boat I let her decide on the tower.    Also when I asked her about “sparkly” (flake) or not, she said “Sparkly of course”, so that’s where we are. 🤷🏼‍♂️

The red flake bangs as well...  :cheers:

E9F0EA2B-E74A-4401-9E53-5A8FC1A7ED70.jpg

IMG_2730.jpg

Edited by Five Cent Worth
12 minutes ago, Olddognewtricks said:

Also when I asked her about “sparkly” (flake) or not, she said “Sparkly of course”, so that’s where we are.

Who are we then, that we might judge after the decision has been so appropriately made?  Except that I will add that orange flake on a cream base looks great.

You still get to choose the engine, right?

Olddognewtricks
1 hour ago, justgary said:

Who are we then, that we might judge after the decision has been so appropriately made?  Except that I will add that orange flake on a cream base looks great.

You still get to choose the engine, right?

Decision just since posted this but love the feedback and the pics!   Thought of adding a little orange to this navy blue :) but figured that might limit the resale market in a few years.  (Actually didn't really consider it - a little too over the top for me, but has been suggested)  

16 minutes ago, Olddognewtricks said:

Decision just since posted this but love the feedback and the pics!   Thought of adding a little orange to this navy blue :) but figured that might limit the resale market in a few years.  (Actually didn't really consider it - a little too over the top for me, but has been suggested)  

Might INCREASE resale in Denver!

15 hours ago, RCorsa said:

Let’s see some photos

https://www.texasmalibu.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=9500941&p=1&s=Year&d=D&t=preowned&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

Its for sale and the link above has several pictures of it. (none of the photos appear to be super sunny but you can see the top rail is reflecting the most sun)  Of the flake colors available, I think Zephyr Blue Metallic and Ebony Metallic have the least amount of metal flake in them.  So if you are concerned about too much sparkle but want some, those are both good color options.

We looked at a moomba this past summer that was metallic purple and black. It looked amazing. My wife was not sold on having a purple boat, so we passed on it. Looked really good in the bright sun and not a color you see much of out on the water. 

My few boats were either solid flake inside and out or a heavy mix of flake in the gel patterns.  I had a solid white/pearl flake 23 LSV, a black flake 23 LSV and then my last boat, which was a solid gunmetal graphite flake 25 LSV.  I also had a 22 VLX a long time ago that was orange metal flake. This year, we decided to go solid white (non-flake) again. For me, it was, in part, a cost savings decision.  However, honestly, I also just love a solid white boat, and the white flake was just too subtle for me.   If was was going to have any color other than white or black, it would want it flake. 

• 2 weeks later...
Olddognewtricks
1 hour ago, RCorsa said:

Here is a photo of zephyr blue on my dock yesterday in the shade.  Looks black. Then the sun came out and this is the color (untouched photo) 

9E7FF725-2333-4A98-A4A5-52922F6D2750.jpeg

E6637C2D-57EA-4FCA-A1A3-DF1401AF3F64.jpeg

Very cool.   Looks fantastic.  Congrats and thanks for posting.  

I had solid lighter blue, white, grey combo on my 2014.  Loved it.  When we upgraded to the newer boat we went with metallic flake and a similar paint scheme.  I think the flake is supreme.  If I were to be ordering a boat I would definitely opt for the flake on at least 1 or 2 of the 3 main colors.  The effect on a sunny day is just immaculate compared to flat colors.  People walk 200 yards down the beach to take a look at the new boat and comment on the gel coat scheme.  Fwiw I have 3 daughters and a wife who all love the flake too so I’m somewhat biased like the OP.  Also my boat spends more days in the water during the boating season than it does on the trailer and I have experienced zero gel coat issues whatsoever. 

95175738-A1D8-42FB-AC91-B6E818047FF0.jpeg

F5721804-0154-4005-B11D-FFD8ECFEA111.jpeg

0F021F95-C356-4261-9949-B27C052C3E42.jpeg

F3EFA13F-2803-497D-9880-537E6912E801.jpeg

Edited by PNWoke
Reasons
  • Like 3
26 minutes ago, PNWoke said:

I had solid lighter blue, white, grey combo on my 2014.  Loved it.  When we upgraded to the newer boat we went with metallic flake and a similar paint scheme.  I think the flake is supreme.  If I were to be ordering a boat I would definitely opt for the flake on at least 1 or 2 of the 3 main colors.  The effect on a sunny day is just immaculate compared to flat colors.  People walk 200 yards down the beach to take a look at the new boat and comment on the gel coat scheme.  Fwiw I have 3 daughters and a wife who all love the flake too so I’m somewhat biased like the OP.  Also my boat spends more days in the water during the boating season than it does on the trailer and I have experienced zero gel coat issues whatsoever. 

95175738-A1D8-42FB-AC91-B6E818047FF0.jpeg

F5721804-0154-4005-B11D-FFD8ECFEA111.jpeg

0F021F95-C356-4261-9949-B27C052C3E42.jpeg

F3EFA13F-2803-497D-9880-537E6912E801.jpeg

Great looking boat!  Same here, I had my last boat on the water for 2 weeks at a time over the summer for 3 years.  Off the water for 1 or 2 days for a detail between.  It was all flake and zero issues with gel coat.  We do have a short season compared to others but I never had issues.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You could consider a little bit of both.  For the Deck Accent (above the rub rail) go with metallic.  It will really pop against the white when the sun is shining.  

For the Hull accent (rear waterline), the flake doesn't add much.  It will mostly be below the water line, and mostly only visible when on the trailer.  It is a high wear area.  Having done repairs on both flake and non-flake, I really want the high wear areas on my boat to be non-flake, and easy to repair.  

Being said, I went with flake on the Zephyr Blue Hull accent on my Zephyr Blue, and Tuscan Gold '22 M220.  I wanted the extra pop.  The front hoop on my tower is non-metallic Zephyr Blue

m220.jpg

Edited by bigskydoc
Olddognewtricks
On 3/23/2022 at 12:58 PM, bigskydoc said:

You could consider a little bit of both.  For the Deck Accent (above the rub rail) go with metallic.  It will really pop against the white when the sun is shining.  

For the Hull accent (rear waterline), the flake doesn't add much.  It will mostly be below the water line, and mostly only visible when on the trailer.  It is a high wear area.  Having done repairs on both flake and non-flake, I really want the high wear areas on my boat to be non-flake, and easy to repair.  

Being said, I went with flake on the Zephyr Blue Hull accent on my Zephyr Blue, and Tuscan Gold '22 M220.  I wanted the extra pop.  The front hoop on my tower is non-metallic Zephyr Blue

m220.jpg

Good thoughts.    Your build looks VERY similar to mine. Passed the deadline for changes and all the blue area are flake,  boat will be on a lift all season and covered when not in use and plan to spray it off at the end of the day so hopefully will be ok. Spray date supposed to be early April.  Hoping it stays on that schedule.

just do a ceramic coating ($1600ish) for the boat and you won't get any fade or discoloration on the flake. I did it on day one of my big time flake M235 in 2018 and it still looked perfect in late 2021 when I sold it. It was a no brainer on my M240

CA310C7A-9AFB-418B-8C09-7DC132BC7828.jpeg

IMG_1160.jpeg