Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Flake or no flake

Olddognewtricks

Olddognewtricks

Hi folks, have to finalize the details on my 23 lsv build and trying to decide on whether to Make the zephyr blue flake or just plain gel coat.   

any opinions or experiences? Love to see pics if you have them.  

Here’s my plan for the design…

4CDB46DD-D737-42B5-A6A0-C6F15F01C481.jpeg

Flake is my personal go to. I like it. My malibu is solid  colors and my 6 year old saw a flake boat right after we got ours and told me our boat didnt have sparkles and was pissed about it. So my next boat had to have it. 

Zypher blue flake is sick in person.  It was in contention on our most recent boat.  There are a few here with zephyr blue flake.  Hopefully they'll chime in a post a pic for you.  Our 2021 23LSV was no flake, our 2022 25LSV has flake, FWIW and it looks great.

We have the ZB metallic and consider it stunning. It’s cool on a boat — I figured it’s the kind of dress that works on a boat, but never on a car, so we did it. ‘22 25 LSV. 

One thing outside of looks is repairing a a small chip in a non-flake is a 30 minute DIY project.  Repairing a chip in flake is going to need a pro.  

Also doesn't flake have some issues with boats that stay in the water for extended periods of time?

ahopkins22LSV
2 hours ago, Slayer said:

Zypher blue flake is sick in person.  It was in contention on our most recent boat.  There are a few here with zephyr blue flake.  Hopefully they'll chime in a post a pic for you.  Our 2021 23LSV was no flake, our 2022 25LSV has flake, FWIW and it looks great.

40 minutes ago, DDuke said:

We have the ZB metallic and consider it stunning. It’s cool on a boat — I figured it’s the kind of dress that works on a boat, but never on a car, so we did it. ‘22 25 LSV. 

Agree with these comments. Is an awesome color to have flake in. Not so bright and flashy it looks like cookies made by a 4 year old and a few colored sugar shakers but it definitely adds some pop in the sun. 

As others have already said, it is a really nice color. I've said it before, it is a subtle color, almost get the benefit of being two colors. Many people mistake it for black, until they see the flake pop in the sun. Above the rub rail, where you plan to use it, will get the benefit of being angled well for direct sunlight. On my 2020 23LSV, the ZB near the Malibu logo looks black, while the ZB above the rub rail is shining, is due to the accents being angled down. It's a great color, go for it.

Zephyr Blue.jpg

Transom View.jpg

Sittin Low.jpg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, DDuke said:

Pics please.

59 minutes ago, vanamp said:

One thing outside of looks is repairing a a small chip in a non-flake is a 30 minute DIY project.  Repairing a chip in flake is going to need a pro.  

Also doesn't flake have some issues with boats that stay in the water for extended periods of time?

It does.  There are reports of it for those who leave their boats moored in the water for extended periods of time.  I've only had one boat with flake and our '22 25LSV is the second.  Our boats generally don't stay in the water.  They're hoist kept or when we travel, they may stay in for 5-7 days, but then it's back to normal for us.  Generally I've kept flake above the waterline with no issue.  My 25 will have some in the waterline.  For how we use it I anticipate having no issues.  

1 hour ago, vanamp said:

Yeah this rock chip drives me nuts

y4jMAjTl.jpg

love the dark blue flake but would say it is kinda high maintenance

AhYJRphl.jpg

and our old lsv, easy to repair chips and buff 

fG1Wmy3l.jpg

m20 marine has a Nassau blue 

F9zc8V8l.jpg

12 hours ago, vaporbluebu said:

Ours is Zephyr (no flake) and Graphite.

CB07A32B-48D4-4270-86F1-34321212D70C.png

Nice one Vaporbluebu!  That's a sick looking Bu!  

We ordered a Nassau blue & Graphite, with just a couple accents in flake.  If it ever gets built I'll post a few pics.  Our last boat was a LOT of flake and it really popped in the sun.

• Like 1
Olddognewtricks

Thanks guys, really appreciate the thoughts and especially the pics.   Considering I want it to be a big draw for the kids (13, 15) I think I'm going to go with the flake.   Since only fairly small areas hopefully not too much maintenance and repair. 

Really cant go wrong as I demoed a boat almost identical to my design that wasn't flake and loved it. 

3 hours ago, Olddognewtricks said:

Thanks guys, really appreciate the thoughts and especially the pics.   Considering I want it to be a big draw for the kids (13, 15) I think I'm going to go with the flake.   Since only fairly small areas hopefully not too much maintenance and repair. 

Really cant go wrong as I demoed a boat almost identical to my design that wasn't flake and loved it. 

Like I said, I had a boat mostly flake.  I had three different couples that are close friends ask me to contact them when I was ready to sell because they wanted the boat.  I sold it in one phone call.  Looks pretty awesome in the sun when you're laying in the water waiting for the boat to come back and pick you up after a surf!  

IMG_5521.thumb.jpeg.5052a8f3d17e12fa846a06db7d566304.jpeg

• Like 2

This was my m235 with A ton of bright flake. Friends called it the Vegas boat. Went for the more subdued dark blue flake/white for my 2022 m240 (better photos coming once I take delivery in 2 weeks) 

E8540E46-6584-4B0D-BFD5-B1F9A91B7E92.jpeg

E1771D69-70B5-4C3A-8E90-90CA3DAD415C.jpeg

I have a 25 LSV in Zephyr Blue Metallic.  In the shade or heavy overcast days, its a dark blue, almost black in the shade.  In the sun, it really pops! 

On 3/2/2022 at 9:45 AM, anutami said:

Yeah this rock chip drives me nuts

y4jMAjTl.jpg

Is that chip through the clear gel?  It is so small, even a dab of clear epoxy would fix it.