Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

04 Response LXI carpet replacement is complicated

MasonScott

Howdy TMC, been searching for a long time about this question and still nothing. Here is my dilemma. We have a 04 response LXI and carpet is needing an up do. We have thought about gator step, replacing glue down carpet or getting snap in carpet. gator step is most expensive. We were in contact with tommy's GR and got quotes for everything and too expensive and long wait time for the service to be done.. THE PROBLEM is that the glue down carpet is annoying to clean so we want snap in... the issue is that the floor underneath glue down is not sprayed with the floor material, it is raw fiber glass.. we would need someone to spray or put a floor down to allow them to map out the floor for a snap in system. gator step is also undoable because the floor situation. At this point the only other option is removing glue down carpet and having new carpet glued in. We do NOT want more glue down carpet. Does anyone know another option, have any advice or know anyone in the mid Michigan or Cleveland OH area who can help us? Thanks everyone!! oh wait also we want a new steering wheel or the current steering wheel reupholstered. any ideas for that too?

1 hour ago, MasonScott said:

Howdy TMC, been searching for a long time about this question and still nothing. Here is my dilemma. We have a 04 response LXI and carpet is needing an up do. We have thought about gator step, replacing glue down carpet or getting snap in carpet. gator step is most expensive. We were in contact with tommy's GR and got quotes for everything and too expensive and long wait time for the service to be done.. THE PROBLEM is that the glue down carpet is annoying to clean so we want snap in... the issue is that the floor underneath glue down is not sprayed with the floor material, it is raw fiber glass.. we would need someone to spray or put a floor down to allow them to map out the floor for a snap in system. gator step is also undoable because the floor situation. At this point the only other option is removing glue down carpet and having new carpet glued in. We do NOT want more glue down carpet. Does anyone know another option, have any advice or know anyone in the mid Michigan or Cleveland OH area who can help us? Thanks everyone!! oh wait also we want a new steering wheel or the current steering wheel reupholstered. any ideas for that too?

See below

1 hour ago, hunter77ah said:

This might be your best bet.  It is cost effective and isn't carpet.  https://www.americanfloormats.com/vinyl-mesh-pool-mats/

It is heavy enough that it doesn't need snaps.

I replaced my carpet last year with this stuff.  To get the glue up, get one of these guys.  Easy job.  If you go with the American Floor Mats, get the non-backed kind, and cut everything an inch proud, then come back and trim after a month or two.  Mine shrunk and I have some unsightly gaps I hate. 

5 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

See below

I replaced my carpet last year with this stuff.  To get the glue up, get one of these guys.  Easy job.  If you go with the American Floor Mats, get the non-backed kind, and cut everything an inch proud, then come back and trim after a month or two.  Mine shrunk and I have some unsightly gaps I hate. 

I had the same "shrinkage" issue.  If you pull on both ends, it will go back to the original cut size- for a bit.  I'm considering adding snaps where my carpet used to snap in.  Hoping this will allow it to keep its shape indefinitely.

1 hour ago, MasonScott said:

Listen to @UWSkierand @hunter77ah.  They've been through it.  

I've got a 2006 RLXI and my carpet is getting to that point as well.  I'm nearly set on doing the pool mat solution when the time comes.  I think it's the most cost effective solution and makes cleaning the boat much easier.  I'm likely going to level the floor and use a marine grade epoxy under the "fake decadence".

Look into deckadance flooring. That or glue in carpet are really your only options unless you want re-level the flooring $$$$$

51 minutes ago, hunter77ah said:

I had the same "shrinkage" issue.  If you pull on both ends, it will go back to the original cut size- for a bit.  I'm considering adding snaps where my carpet used to snap in.  Hoping this will allow it to keep its shape indefinitely.

snaps don't work.  Tried that.  It'll stay tight where the snap is, but it'll still pull away between the snaps.  I think I'm going to pull all mine out and set it on my driveway in the AZ summer with some lead weight bags on the corners with it stretched out.  :)

8 hours ago, MasonScott said:

THE PROBLEM is that the glue down carpet is annoying to clean so we want snap in... the issue is that the floor underneath glue down is not sprayed with the floor material, it is raw fiber glass...

At this point the only other option is removing glue down carpet and having new carpet glued in. We do NOT want more glue down carpet. Does anyone know another option, have any advice...

Yes, remove the carpet and paint the fiberglass with KiwiGrip or Interlux Brightside, or TuffCoat and then add your snap-in carpet.  If you prefer GatorStep on top, then I'd go with the Brightside as the bottom coat and then you're good to go floor-wise.

• Like 2
On 3/1/2022 at 2:21 PM, hunter77ah said:

This might be your best bet.  It is cost effective and isn't carpet.  https://www.americanfloormats.com/vinyl-mesh-pool-mats/

It is heavy enough that it doesn't need snaps.

If anyone wants to go this route, I have a roll (dark gray) with enough to do your boat. I bought it and we decided to go another route. PM me and we can work a deal out.