Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rear view mirror placement.

RCorsa

Super odd and random question. My new m240 has the rear view mirror on the driver (starboard) side while my old m235 had it on the port side of the front windshield.  Any ideas why this would be different?  I assume I can move it over but maybe there is some logic here? 

This just happens to be where the dealer mounted it for you.  It is all a preference thing and can easily be moved.  I personally prefer to have mine on the starboard window as close to the walkthrough window as possible.

Also, objects are "closer" the closer I am to the mirror.  If it is on the port side, I have to really turn to look at the mirror.

Edited by bcoppess23
  • Like 1

I'm a little taller than most and generally look over the windshield to drive. Mine was mounted directly in my line of sight. It lasted about 7 minutes into my maiden voyage. Hasn't been re-installed since. Wish they installed it on the port window. I might be able to use it if it were there.  

I do have these cool little brackets on the window frame now that do nothing now but cover up the holes that they drilled to install them in the first place.

2 hours ago, BigCreek said:

I'm a little taller than most and generally look over the windshield to drive. Mine was mounted directly in my line of sight. It lasted about 7 minutes into my maiden voyage. Hasn't been re-installed since. Wish they installed it on the port window. I might be able to use it if it were there.  

I do have these cool little brackets on the window frame now that do nothing now but cover up the holes that they drilled to install them in the first place.

They drilled holes in the windshield trim to install the mirror bracket? is it a PTM by chance?

6 minutes ago, Jibby said:

They drilled holes in the windshield trim to install the mirror bracket? is it a PTM by chance?

My boat has the same holes.  We upgraded and left the bracket as well.  It isn't a PTM.  We have ours above the walkthrough.  Its a good reminder to make sure its closed before taking off.

Edited by hunter77ah

Total personal preference.  I prefer it on the starboard windshield all the way to the left so you can be looking forward and in the mirror at the same time. The PTM ones can be moved with loosening two bolts with an Allen wrench. 

I'm definitely a fan of the port-side mounting too.  Once you get used to it, anywhere on the starboard side of the walkthrough feels like it's in my line of sight.  On my 2016 T22 I had to turn the mirror upside down for it to get the right angle of adjustment... not sure whether that's still an "issue" with the newer ptm mirrors?  Even my very short wife is a fan of having the mirror mounted on the "wrong" side of the boat.

• Like 2

Right in the middle of the walkthrough window, just like the rearview on a car.  Mounted driver's side, can't see where you are going unless you are short enough to look through the windshield.  Spotter side and you are looking way left instead of where you are going.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Right in the middle of the walkthrough window, just like the rearview on a car.  Mounted driver's side, can't see where you are going unless you are short enough to look through the windshield.  Spotter side and you are looking way left instead of where you are going.

Nope…

32E0BAF7-6076-45A5-BFD7-20F3C4481DB4.jpeg

• Like 4
23 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Is y’all’s field of vision so narrow that you can’t see both the mirror and what’s ahead of you at the same time?

Your comments make it seem like when you drive you’re unable to monitor to multiple views; you just lock your head and eye position into one narrow view. 

You do realize there’s more than one way to see behind the boat, right?  The mirror is just one tool, it’s not the only tool. The best tool is, oh I dunno, your head on a swivel! 

I think we might be driving at faster than 11MPH too, which makes a big difference.  32MPH on a public lake - things come up fast and you can't be staring at the passenger side.  Honestly for me the mirror is a tool for in the channel so that I can see the traffic behind me.  I've got a spotter and don't pay much if any attention to the people behind the boat.

It’s mostly just a habit. Once you do 700 hours in a year with a mirror in front of you it’s hard to look else where. Also spend a lot of time just looking behind me momentarily. 

50 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

I think we might be driving at faster than 11MPH too, which makes a big difference.  32MPH on a public lake - things come up fast and you can't be staring at the passenger side.  Honestly for me the mirror is a tool for in the channel so that I can see the traffic behind me.  I've got a spotter and don't pay much if any attention to the people behind the boat.

Very well put!  We are running at 36mph in a narrow area of the lake. All our skiers are aggressive so most of the time you can feel them behind the boat. Also if resting a moment its very near the center of the wake area. So I am the same I don't spend any significant time watching the skier. All my spotters are also drivers who understand what the driver needs to know. It's amazing how a boat can be so well hidden with background. I do think skiing and surfing are very very different for drivers. 

26 minutes ago, Sixball said:

Very well put!  We are running at 36mph in a narrow area of the lake. All our skiers are aggressive so most of the time you can feel them behind the boat. Also if resting a moment its very near the center of the wake area. So I am the same I don't spend any significant time watching the skier. All my spotters are also drivers who understand what the driver needs to know. It's amazing how a boat can be so well hidden with background. I do think skiing and surfing are very very different for drivers. 

Totally agree, massive difference.  We do both with the same boat and pulling slalom skiers or barefooters I spend almost no time looking behind me.  Surfing, I could sit sideways.  

Not gonna lie the tower mounted option is my least favorite because I feel like I always have something in my face.  Next worst is starboard side, then middle of walk through window (vision is better but you can never run down the lake with the window open, which is a must on those 100* + days), then port.

I'm sure people can get used to anything, and before the wide angle mirrors placement was a much bigger deal.

• Like 2

Was hoping someone would chime in with a tower mount as I would consider it as an alternative to port side orientation. The bracket is awfully pricy if it doesn’t workout though…

There are advantages and disadvantages with both.  I like "almost" everything about my tower mount, but I have 2 sets of speakers as well as board racks on each side.  When a rider swings out wide, I lose them in the mirror because the boards/speakers block them.  I've got about 100 degrees of sight though.

Edited by REHinH20

Tower placement is my favorite!  Straight forward of the driver; about a foot above the windshield; same distance from driver as the windshield.  Additional advantage is people not bumping into it causing it to move if were swinging windshield or spotter (port) side; it's always where we aimed it.