Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ordering 2022 malibu’s mid-year 8% surcharge

PaintedRocksSurfer

>40% total change over couple years is consistent with what i paid for an A24 in summer 2019 and recent prices posted elsewhere on TMC.  At these prices, i'd still be in a Bayliner.

Definitely affects used market, but i'm also curious how many COVID-induced boat purchasers will decide they don't use it as much as they thought, its more work/maintenance than they realized, and hey - i can get my money back?

14 hours ago, Shea said:

I agree.  I just looked at my 2018 purchase and it's up about 40% from May of 2018.  I would be surprised if it happened all in the last year but I can't say for sure that it didn't.  

16 hours ago, hethj7 said:

This doesn’t seem right as MSRP, even with the new surcharge isn’t up that much.  Are you also going from a great dealer deal before to where the dealer isn’t providing you as much discount on the street price?  

I can certainly get the market.  We are all in it.  They are getting -50% of boats to make the same amount of profits to 'keep the doors open.' (In theory)

I am on my third new boat from these guys.  I think very highly of them in my own experiences as well as some of my other buddies that run different brands and what they have to do with their dealers.

You guys are right - there are more factors when I peel back the onion.  Mostly, the discount off MSRP is far less.  My '21 was well into the mid-20's and they aren't moving much off -10% on the '22's.  This, with the price increases, get's you to my +40% on a '21 23 LSV vs a '22 23 LSV.

This is my boat (I don't have the power seat).  Some quick math gets you to their asking price which is -10% off the MSRP.  Quick calc from my bill of sale to this price is +40%.

https://www.lakenormanmarina.com/inv/2022-Malibu-23-LSV-Sherrills-Ford-NC-8062/

• Like 3

My take on the market now and down the road a couple years, FWIW. I’m thinking of 6 guys I know who bought new in late 2020 and 2021. At least 4 of them had told me at some point in the last 4-5 years it was crazy to ever buy a new boat. 3 are first time boat owners.

Every one of them is crazy about their boats and I don’t see any of them selling or getting out of boating anytime in the next 5 years. All have kids active in youth sports for the last 18 months or so, and are making boating work around that. This is in the most locked down state too, even now.

Maybe coincidentally, but these guys have never done better financially since May 2020. Each could have easily cleared their boat purchase cost, at least once by now if they’d chosen to do so with their incremental comp or biz earnings in the last couple years.

There is so much money out there and I don’t think we see a dramatic post-Covid fallout. I travel enough to see that all but a few counties on the west coast and some NE states have moved on quite awhile ago.

From a boat market perspective, I’d argue we’re already a year or so into post-Covid for this market. I know there’s still some international travel restrictions, etc., that impact discretionary spending but not enough to really impact a market as small as these towboats.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Five Cent Worth said:

I can certainly get the market.  We are all in it.  They are getting -50% of boats to make the same amount of profits to 'keep the doors open.' (In theory)

I am on my third new boat from these guys.  I think very highly of them in my own experiences as well as some of my other buddies that run different brands and what they have to do with their dealers.

You guys are right - there are more factors when I peel back the onion.  Mostly, the discount off MSRP is far less.  My '21 was well into the mid-20's and they aren't moving much off -10% on the '22's.  This, with the price increases, get's you to my +40% on a '21 23 LSV vs a '22 23 LSV.

This is my boat (I don't have the power seat).  Some quick math gets you to their asking price which is -10% off the MSRP.  Quick calc from my bill of sale to this price is +40%.

Beautiful looking boat!!  Very similar to your '21.

2 hours ago, Five Cent Worth said:

Maybe I missed it but why are you going with the 22 and not keeping the 21?

17 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

Yes and they are. Similarly look at any of the hot new vehicles right now, TRX, bronco, c8

Not just the hot new vehicles. I talked to a guy the other day that just bought a Ram tradesman. Most dealers were 5-10k above MSRP🥺🥺. He finally found one 3 hours away at MSRP. and they delivered for him. 

4 hours ago, jcon44 said:

Maybe I missed it but why are you going with the 22 and not keeping the 21?

We were looking at other models: 24 MXZ & 25 LSV (the wife is in love with the rear seats like the MC's).  Not looking to move to the same thing but more providing context in where pricing has went.  Not too often you get such an apples to apples scenario.  That sale pending is some other lucky family.

Edited by Five Cent Worth
  • Like 3

I bought my new fiver for around 37% off MSRP (IIRC); it was delivered about two weeks into the first lock down.  I have heard not only are the RV factory prices exploding, but dealers are now getting MSRP or even better on RVs.  A 40% increase in the street price on a boat over the last two years no longer sounds all that crazy to me.  

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, Five Cent Worth said:

We were looking at other models: 24 MXZ & 25 LSV (the wife is in love with the rear seats like the MC's).  Not looking to move to the same thing but more providing context in where pricing has went.  Not too often you get such an apples to apples scenario.  That sale pending is some other lucky family.

25LSV > 24MXZ.  JMHO.  I have not yet been behind the new 25LSV but I have been behind the 24MXZ.  It's a great boat, but I prefer the traditional bow and I think the new 25 is going to handle chop better than any other model in the LSV or MXZ line.  

18 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

Not just the hot new vehicles. I talked to a guy the other day that just bought a Ram tradesman. Most dealers were 5-10k above MSRP🥺🥺. He finally found one 3 hours away at MSRP. and they delivered for him. 

Supply and demand at its finest.

People who need a vehicle “now” and are paying at or above MSRP are going to be in a real bad spot when they’re ready to trade again in 2-3 years. Especially as manufacturers ramp up vehicle production over that same time frame to “make up” for lost sales. I use to lead the purchasing operations for the largest car retailer in N.A. and it was shocking to see how much negative equity people would have in their vehicles (and have no idea). 

If you’re patient, there are deals to be had by ordering a new one. I have a ‘22 F-150 Limited on order that that I purchased for $10k+ UNDER MSRP.

Granted, it’s going to be 9-months from order to delivery, but I’m able to wait. 

16 hours ago, Slayer said:

25LSV > 24MXZ.  JMHO.  I have not yet been behind the new 25LSV but I have been behind the 24MXZ.  It's a great boat, but I prefer the traditional bow and I think the new 25 is going to handle chop better than any other model in the LSV or MXZ line.  

Yea, much in favor of the 25 LSV.  Love the added freeboard, improved ride quality and the rear seats.

However, I think the opportunity for me to buy new may be gone.  A loaded out 25 LSV: LT4, GX, thruster, RGB, etc was at $267.  You can certainly de-option - but feels like the step from a '21 23 LSV to a '22 25 LSV is too great for our budget.  #BuzzKill :badmood:

56 minutes ago, Five Cent Worth said:

Yea, much in favor of the 25 LSV.  Love the added freeboard, improved ride quality and the rear seats.

However, I think the opportunity for me to buy new may be gone.  A loaded out 25 LSV: LT4, GX, thruster, RGB, etc was at $267.  You can certainly de-option - but feels like the step from a '21 23 LSV to a '22 25 LSV is too great for our budget.  #BuzzKill :badmood:

I get it.  It's killing mine, but it is what it is.  Also, for your location I don't think you would need the LT4.  You're not at high enough elevation to need it.  I get the desire, though.  We ordered ours with G5 and M6, no stern turn and our MSRP was about $20k less than yours.  Also, I don't think there's much fo a delta between the 24MXZ and the 25LSV.  Not sure because we didn't price the 24MXZ.  If it was a more dry and solid ride like the MC pickle forks, we may have considered it.  

My local marina only sells 89 so I quickly eliminated the LT4, even though it was tempting.  I also went G5 with the PTM upgrades and see a ton of builds using it.  I do like the look of the Gx a little better, but it seems as though unless you need to fold it all the time, there is little reason to have to check that box.  And for resale it seems to be a very minor point, if a factor at all, for most folks.  

• Like 2

And while costs are going up, at least in my market, the folks that I know who are buying inboards seem to be making more money (at least right now) and can afford it - especially with rates as cheap as they are.  I know my coworkers and I have been busier than we have ever been.  Its nuts.  Also, the reality is that BU only makes so many of these boats every year and, at least right now, the demand is strong, regardless of price increases.  Our local dealer can't keep anything in stock.   

I'm sure many of you have seen/experienced this, but if you already owned a boat pre-covid, it is probably worth more now than it was in '19.   Everybody seems to be paying more for everything, so keep in mind when we are talking about price increases from the manufacturer. Unless you are coming from no boat (and my sympathies if you are a first time buyer right now), you probably benefitted somewhat from the price escalation. 

Edited by Chattwake
  • Like 3
26 minutes ago, Chattwake said:

And while costs are going up, at least in my market, the folks that I know who are buying inboards seem to be making more money (at least right now) and can afford it - especially with rates as cheap as they are.  I know my coworkers and I have been busier than we have ever been.  Its nuts.  Also, the reality is that BU only makes so many of these boats every year and, at least right now, the demand is strong, regardless of price increases.  Our local dealer can't keep anything in stock.   

I'm sure many of you have seen/experienced this, but if you already owned a boat pre-covid, it is probably worth more now than it was in '19.   Everybody seems to be paying more for everything, so keep in mind when we are talking about price increases from the manufacturer. Unless you are coming from no boat (and my sympathies if you are a first time buyer right now), you probably benefitted somewhat from the price escalation. 

When do you expect to receive yours??  I'm interested to see what you did with this one.  

21 minutes ago, Slayer said:

When do you expect to receive yours??  I'm interested to see what you did with this one.  

It's supposed to spray in late March, so I'm hoping to get it in early April.  I'm going back to my roots on this one.  Solid white hull, white tower, 2 pairs of white rev10's, white triple axle trailer, black wheels, black decals, sepia/brown soft grip on the trailer and floor, black piping/stitching and everything else cooltouch sepia/brown on the interior.  

1 hour ago, Slayer said:

Looks awesome!!  I was considering a solid color or a 2 color, but it didn't work out that way.  I designed several boats, showed them to all 4 kids and told them each to pick a top 5.  The boys didn't care but the girls did.  There was one boat that was number 2 on each of their lists, so that's what we did.  I'll post it soon, but they have no idea I did that and the look on their faces when they see it will be worth the cost of admission.  

Awesome man!  Can't wait to see it!

• 1 month later...

From time to time I see reference RE 50% fewer boats for the dealers to sell.  Is that really a thing?  I know in the first year of supply chain problems they had trouble keeping the already sold production schedule but now?  I don't see posts on the board about people not finding build slots, just how expensive they are.