Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ordering 2022 malibu’s mid-year 8% surcharge

PaintedRocksSurfer

33 minutes ago, Napafan said:

... They offered me 10 percent off and then tacked 8 percent back on for the surcharge. I laughed and said no thanks. 

Prices will only come down when more people say no. 

1 hour ago, Napafan said:

How much profit is the dealer making on a 250k boat that is 80k in options? If they were giving 20 percent off pre Covid, why cant they give 20 percent off now? I just got a price quote on a 2022 LSV 25. They offered me 10 percent off and then tacked 8 percent back on for the surcharge. I laughed and said no thanks. 

Why would they. We all want to make all we can. And other people will pay it. 

• Like 3

Dealers are running of the risk of not having boats to sell so they need to maximize profits on what they do get.  I'm sure someone will take them up on it ... they just have to wait for THAT GUY (or gal).

• Like 3
1 hour ago, pauley71 said:

Dealers are running of the risk of not having boats to sell so they need to maximize profits on what they do get.  I'm sure someone will take them up on it ... they just have to wait for THAT GUY (or gal).

They have fewer boats in their allotment. Overhead doesn’t change. They need to make the same amount on fewer boats. Thus, more money per unit. 

6 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

Yup, same with the car dealers. Helping my FIL shop for a new car and it’s literally msrp on everything right now, if they even have one on the lot. They can either make their money on volume or markup and there is no volume right now. 

We have a local dealer here selling Ford Superduty's for 10-15k over MSRP because no one has stock.

There are still deals to be had on almost everything but it is harder and you have to look in more markets.  For example I was able to negotiate 28% off my 2022 m240 which I got last month.  As I’m going to need a new truck to pull this beast so I listed my 2019 raptor and sold it locally for $72,000 even though I only paid $69,000 two years ago. Local for dealers were marking everything up but I found  a dealer in the Midwest who would offer 3% under invoice on new truck orders so I just ordered a new 2022 for $69,000 when my local price was over $85,000 for a new rig.  

• Like 3
1 hour ago, RCorsa said:

There are still deals to be had on almost everything but it is harder and you have to look in more markets.  For example I was able to negotiate 28% off my 2022 m240 which I got last month.  As I’m going to need a new truck to pull this beast so I listed my 2019 raptor and sold it locally for $72,000 even though I only paid $69,000 two years ago. Local for dealers were marking everything up but I found  a dealer in the Midwest who would offer 3% under invoice on new truck orders so I just ordered a new 2022 for $69,000 when my local price was over $85,000 for a new rig.  

What did you order??  I'm considering ordering a super duty.

I ordered a 2022 f150 with the hybrid engine. With max tow package.  It’s rated at 11,500.   I drove it locally and it’s good for me.  I had a 3/4 ton before but it was too big for my occasional city driving and I tow 2-4/year locally (never over mountain passes) but the raptor was really pushing it with my m235 and the m240 is an extra 1500 pounds so I had to trade up.  

1 hour ago, RCorsa said:

I ordered a 2022 f150 with the hybrid engine. With max tow package.  It’s rated at 11,500.   I drove it locally and it’s good for me.  I had a 3/4 ton before but it was too big for my occasional city driving and I tow 2-4/year locally (never over mountain passes) but the raptor was really pushing it with my m235 and the m240 is an extra 1500 pounds so I had to trade up.  

Interesting.  

I've been bouncing between ordering the F-250 with the 7.3 or another F-150.  I have a 2019 and it handles my 23LSV with ease.  Towed a 1,200 mile round trip this summer with the 23LSV and it did very well.  I've modified the suspension, however.  It just got me thinking that with a 25LSV a 3/4 ton might be a little better but I'm not sure I want it as a daily driver like my F-150 is.  

Thread jack off.

While we're taking this topic off course in this direction, I'll add that while I wouldn't do it, I know a guy who tows a M235 with a Raptor.  He tows it pretty far too, over mountain passes, etc. 

Comparatively that hybrid F150 should tow the M240 with relative ease, I would imagine.  I have Air Lift 2k springs on my F150 for towing and they make a big difference, for what it's worth. 

• Like 2

Rennis.  That’s funny I don't know many people who have the M235 in our area and none that also have a raptor.   We don't know each other do we?  LOL. I’m  on Mercer Island WA….

23 hours ago, Zac said:

Prices will only come down when more people say no. 

Agree but dealers are also getting their numbers cut... Some dealers have stopped or reduced selling their build slots to consumers so they can bring to them in as stock and tack on "fair market adjustment values".. can't blame them... time will tell to what degree

18 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

Agree but dealers are also getting their numbers cut... Some dealers have stopped or reduced selling their build slots to consumers so they can bring to them in as stock and tack on "fair market adjustment values".. can't blame them... time will tell to what degree

I don't blame the manufacturers or the dealers.

The price increases are  a consumerism problem (with or without higher than usual inflation), and the consumers (you and me) need to take responsibility and solve it ourselves.

In other words, I blame myself for the increases as I bought a pre-owned boat this year. I quoted several new and said no, with the increases from manufacturers I'm sure glad I did. 

Once enough consumers say no, and mean it, the price will come down. Otherwise 3-10ish percent a year (better yet, every half-year) will continue.

Keep your '16 for a few more seasons, I plan to keep mine :)

• Like 4

Do we have a good idea of what to total price increases have been since prices were set at the beginning of 2021 production?  Prior to the 8% that will be applied in December.  I remember seeing 11% and 4% mentioned I think.

Comparing base and option price from a 2021 M240 and my 2022 M 240 that I ended up buying the price jump was 10% from 2021 to 2022 on everything.  I think the additional price bump of 8% takes effect in December

1 hour ago, RCorsa said:

Comparing base and option price from a 2021 M240 and my 2022 M 240 that I ended up buying the price jump was 10% from 2021 to 2022 on everything.  I think the additional price bump of 8% takes effect in December

Are you able to post your build sheet or have you in another thread?  I am curious as your data doesn’t match what I have seen.  And the base price year over year increase is not the same percent on all the various options - some are more and some are less.  

I’d have to search for the 2021 one as I tossed it once I bought the 2022.  What I can tell you is the MSRP for the 2021  was 303,000 and my 2022 was 334,000 and both had the exact same options. 

On 11/12/2021 at 1:57 PM, RCorsa said:

Rennis.  That’s funny I don't know many people who have the M235 in our area and none that also have a raptor.   We don't know each other do we?  LOL. I’m  on Mercer Island WA….

He's from the PDX area but have run into him over the mountains