Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Axis T220

wedge88

On 12/27/2023 at 4:34 PM, Bradley Thornton said:

Works great 0 issues after. I would think the rubber grommets would just create the same problem. Now instead of raising the bow as high as I can now I get to lower it as much as I can. 

agree... adding a lip seems like it would defeat the purpose?

20 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

agree... adding a lip seems like it would defeat the purpose?

Malibu puts grommets under the nice 2" stainless grates for some reason. It restricts over 1/2 the volume it could handle. I removed the grommets on my 2018 and opened the holes, in center not the off center Malibu seems to prefer?. Remount the grates.

In your area I would put the hole through the soft grip then buy and mount a stainless grate flush on top of the soft grip. 1 hole dead center would work great.image.png.0a1e7c6e966c1e4d2b29b0fe012974c5.pngimage.png.1201371e5b966cfcf42ecc53ef6b0060.pngimage.png.76334a4fbc6941f8a53f2ec4abb7cc02.pngimage.png.4a2d9dc3b8346709d154e3c772c22f4c.png

• 5 weeks later...

My 24 T220 is in. I’ll share a pic once gatorstep gets installed, just did the paper fit test and there were 5 pieces that did not fit quite right and one that was off due to a dash change. Overall I’m super happy, boat feels solid, chair fully swivels around, tower hydraulics work perfect.

However, Axis mistakenly put the manual wedge on and not the power wedge, which then means the swim deck is wrong and has a cutout hatch, so both those need to be replaced. Looks like an easy swap and I’m in no rush, but not sure if the electronics are affected by the incorrect wedge (ie are there wedge controls on the screen). That’s about the only issue I saw on first inspection, gelcoat overall looked great to me but didn’t have time to really look over it closely. Anything else I should make sure to inspect? 

Edited by MikeR397

Dang, thats a pretty big mistake on their end with the wedge. They probably only sell a handful of manual wedges these days, seems like something that would stand out on a build sheet. SMH.

Crawl under your trailer with a flashlight and make sure you are happy with the paint. If not, don't accept the boat.

2 minutes ago, Raimie said:

Dang, thats a pretty big mistake on their end with the wedge. They probably only sell a handful of manual wedges these days, seems like something that would stand out on a build sheet. SMH.

Crawl under your trailer with a flashlight and make sure you are happy with the paint. If not, don't accept the boat.

Agree, I’ve gotta make sure there is actually an M6 in there too at this point… at least the prop is correct standard 2277.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dizzygti said:

Careful when lowering the tailgate.  :biggrin:

Man thank you I haven't thought about that. 

11 minutes ago, ahopkins22LSV said:

That’s a great looking T! The gatorstep looks great. 

Really appreciate the tips here to go with GatorStep and skip the stock decking. It has a better texture (less slick) and the design and color option (blue on grey vs only black on grey) really elevates the interior closer to Malibu level. I get why axis doesn’t offer the color and patterns to differentiate from Malibu, but this is a great way to step it up for the same (or lower actually) price as stock decking if you buy during Black Friday or other 15% sale. 

for what it’s worth, I did the paper test and did have 5 pieces that needed to be slightly modified to fit perfect. Gatorstep made me do it and I’m glad I did. Easy to install, took my wife and I about 1.25hrs being careful and wiping down the slightly dusty boat first. 

I am gonna ask GatorStep if they can make pieces for the vertical black plastic areas by the banks of cup holders (not currently offered). If these are $250 or less I think it’ll look really sharp and cover the one area of the boat that has a lot of cheap black plastic. Great quality boat for sure, I’m so thankful it exists with a shallow draft and low rear folding tower for my canal and low bridge! 

http://IMG-3991.jpg

IMG-3992.jpg

Edited by MikeR397
  • Like 1

I personally would save he money on tint and buy another surfboard option.  Get one that's completely different than what you already have to give people more options and new things to learn!!  Tint looks nice, but I don't see that it really serves much purpose on a boat, specially since Axis glass is pretty minimal, i.e. the interior will not be any cooler due to the tint!!:lol:

Edited by REHinH20
  • Like 2

Great looking boat!   And yes to tint!  Sure, it's not doing much, but it looks better! 

Screenshot_20240228_133652_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240228_133750_Chrome.jpg

6 hours ago, MikeR397 said:

Here are some pics of our 2024 Maya Blue T220. I added 20 stainless cup holders off Amazon, GatorStep decking, and Skylocks. The factory put the manual wedge on by mistake which has been swapped to the power wedge and different style surf exhaust, but still waiting on swim deck replacement that doesn’t have the hatch cutout I don’t want under the GatorStep as it is not flush. 

Overall, very impressed with the quality of the paint, hinges, etc. The captains chair swivels perfectly all the way around now in 2024. No creaks or pops when I walk around. Looks like production quality for 2024 has hopefully improved over what we saw in 22-23. Big shout out to Shane at Tommy’s of Detroit who helped with this purchase and offered a great boat show deal. 

http://IMG-3987.jpg IMG-3989.jpg IMG-3990.jpg IMG-3993.jpg IMG-3996.jpg IMG-3998.jpg IMG-4002.jpg IMG-4004.jpg

That looks amazing! Who did the wedge swap? Factory or dealer?

2 hours ago, teamerickson said:

That looks amazing! Who did the wedge swap? Factory or dealer?

Thanks. Dealer swapped on the power wedge. Thankfully the boats are pre wired for power wedge regardless of if you get it, so it’s just the physical attachment didn’t look that rough. 

Edited by MikeR397
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

These all look great!   We are happy with our A22 but we know that our next one will need to be a T220 since they changed the length on the A series (our river has a 22' limit).  Quick question, how does that "triangle" cushion wear between the engine hatches and the back seat?   We did a demo last summer and that part just felt weird to us?   Also seemed like it would get stepped on a ton and might wear pretty quick.  

4 hours ago, scrupulous said:

These all look great!   We are happy with our A22 but we know that our next one will need to be a T220 since they changed the length on the A series (our river has a 22' limit).  Quick question, how does that "triangle" cushion wear between the engine hatches and the back seat?   We did a demo last summer and that part just felt weird to us?   Also seemed like it would get stepped on a ton and might wear pretty quick.  

coming up on owning ours for 2 years and no issues with the angled backrest hump.  The center cushion/sliding box cushion take the most abuse of anything in the boat by far. I haven't observed any wear at all on the hump, at least not yet.  the foam in the hump is holding up well too.