Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is it toast?

6 hours ago, Eddy said:

Fair enough so shouldn’t be to difficult to turn over once all the plus are pulled even if it’s hydrolocked 

If you take out all 8 spark plugs any water or fuel should spill out when you turn the crankshaft over as you will have eliminated all compression by removing the spark plugs.  If it won’t turn over something serious is in play. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2021 at 5:58 PM, Bozboat said:

If you take out all 8 spark plugs any water or fuel should spill out when you turn the crankshaft over as you will have eliminated all compression by removing the spark plugs.  If it won’t turn over something serious is in play. 

Welp finally found the issue dropped a valve 

6 hours ago, oldjeep said:

michiganmotorz.com - they ship to Tx

If I were going to buy a marine engine, they are where I would go.

Sweet I’ll look into them 

2 hours ago, Woodski said:

Scroggins Dickey handles GM crate engines and are in Texas:  https://sdparts.com/

If you go a non marine supplier route make sure you are getting a marine version.

Appreciate that yea definitely want to stick to what I need and not have this happen again. Looking into them now 

2 hours ago, Woodski said:

Scroggins Dickey handles GM crate engines and are in Texas:  https://sdparts.com/

If you go a non marine supplier route make sure you are getting a marine version.

Would you know if they have any marine version or what numbers to look for?

2 hours ago, Bozboat said:

Where did last years replacement long block come from?

No clue need to check the invoice does not say from where. 

4 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Might be worth seeing if there was any sort of warranty.  Seems odd to have a failure on a 5.7L in only a year.

Waiting on guy who installed it 

On 8/4/2021 at 11:27 PM, Eddy said:

Well guys the motor dropped a valve used bore scope and it was gone. Anyone know anywhere in Texas to get a motor 

How did you spot a dropped valve with a bore scope? Did you pull the valve cover to verify?

I would pull the heads and check the piston...if there a little smile on it, I would just get a new valve job. If there is a lot of trauma going on like a hole in the piston or gouge in the cylinder wall then it might be time for a new engine. 

The only time my engines have been toast is when a piston rod comes flying out of the pan...5.7L are famous for oil starvation on the crank. My Malibu has not had a problem with that but In the 80s I had a jet boat that went through 3 oil pans.