Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

340 etx /cat or LCR 320 07 vtx.

Bawshogg

Hopefully the volume of fresh air being introduced to the engine will counteract any loss of power due to increased air temp. Too bad the air can't be dehumidified and supercooled on it's way to the motor box. Crazy.gif

They should put a water-to-air intercooler in the vent passage way. There's plenty of water right there, why not! Surprised.gif

Too bad the cats aren't optional.

I'm sure Indmar felt the same way when the EPA announced the emissions tiers, but you can always get a Hammerhead for the next few months if you don't want them. ;)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VinRLX

• 88Skier

• Bawshogg

• skicrave

Hopefully the volume of fresh air being introduced to the engine will counteract any loss of power due to increased air temp. Too bad the air can't be dehumidified and supercooled on it's way to the motor box. Crazy.gif

They should put a water-to-air intercooler in the vent passage way. There's plenty of water right there, why not! Surprised.gif

I'm sure Indmar felt the same way when the EPA announced the emissions tiers, but you can always get a Hammerhead for the next few months if you don't want them. ;)

The industry is leaving me behind. The only new boat I really like is the Response, and if I were to buy one, I would get the Hammerhead just to avoid the cats.

The industry is leaving me behind. The only new boat I really like is the Response, and if I were to buy one, I would get the Hammerhead just to avoid the cats.

Hey 88, I'm with you. Scary. I was just starting to lean towards the RLXi as my potential next upgrade..... until this year. Sorry, I just couldn't go there now. Personal preference. That just leaves the tried and true Response. Until they dump it from their product line.

Hey Skicrave, I like the sound of the new Active Air Induction stuff. My bet is that they phased that in for ALL boats as part of the preparation for all boats eventually getting CAT technology. Whether CAT or no CAT, extra air is always beneficial to helping the engine breathe. Colder air means denser air means more HP per combustion cycle. Can't beat more HP.... ever.

Re intercooler. All depends on temp differential between incoming air and water temp. For me, I'm a "fair-weather" skier. I ski in July/August. Water temp usually around 73 degrees. Air temp might be mid 80's. Only a 12 degree differential. Assuming a 100% efficient temp transfer in an intercooler (which would also include a reduction in air volume flow as it works its way past the intercooler vanes.)... not much of a drop in air temp to justify the added cost of an intercooler.

I suppose if I take a more extreme example ..... say I'm using the boat on a super hot summer day with air temp at 90 degrees and water temp at 65 degrees = 25 degree temp differential, then an intercooler that could drop the incoming air even halfway (down 12.5 degrees to 78.5 degrees) might be worthwhile. However, not usually the case in my neck of the Canadian woods.

If the LCR is very similar to the monsoon II (325 HP) then it will be enough, but I would get the Monsoon just for the cats and resale aspect.

I am pretty sure I am gonna go ahead and get the Monsoon. I will be using the boat for a lot of surfing and I like that fact that they will reduce the nasty co emissions. Maybe it won't smell as bad back there! I also like the fact of improved fuel economy. I guess it looks like it may be worth the extra 800 bucks or so.

Does anyone feel like they are getting too much CO gases when surfing? Have not done any surfing yet but got a board for Christmas and will be surfing this year.

I have never had to stop because of the smell of exhaust, nor do I know anyone with any complaints about it. I actually love the smell, and yeah I am a little Crazy.gif I have never gone for longer then 10 minutes or so without falling either...

Does anyone feel like they are getting too much CO gases when surfing? Have not done any surfing yet but got a board for Christmas and will be surfing this year.

I have never had to stop because of the smell of exhaust, nor do I know anyone with any complaints about it. I actually love the smell, and yeah I am a little Crazy.gif I have never gone for longer then 10 minutes or so without falling either...

Guys guys guys..... CO does not smell.

Careful!

Hey 88, I'm with you. Scary. I was just starting to lean towards the RLXi as my potential next upgrade..... until this year. Sorry, I just couldn't go there now. Personal preference. That just leaves the tried and true Response. Until they dump it from their product line.

Hard to imagine, but the new RLXi could grow on me. When I bought my 03 Sporty, I could have bought a Response or a RLXi as well. I liked the Sporty the best and had been wanting one for a few years. I wouldn't even go aboard the RLXi at the boat show because I thought it was so ugly, too curvy and futuristic looking. By 05 I was thinking the RLXi was a beautiful boat and thinking I'd like to upgrade. Then 07 happened. Maybe in a few years...

Edited by 88Skier

Hard to imagine, but the new RLXi could grow on me. When I bought my 03 Sporty, I could have bought a Response or a RLXi as well. I liked the Sporty the best and had been wanting one for a few years. I wouldn't even go aboard the RLXi at the boat show because I thought it was so ugly, too curvy and futuristic looking. By 05 I was thinking the RLXi was a beautiful boat and thinking I'd like to upgrade. Then 07 happened. Maybe in a few years...

I thought that the 07 Rlxi looked ugly with the new windshield and hull. However, once I saw it in person at the boat show, I really liked it. The windshield was changed slightly from the original pictures we saw when it first came out and it looks good. I'm not in the market right now (I love my '05) but when I am, I will have no trouble at all buying a new Rlxi.

Guys guys guys..... CO does not smell.

Careful!

I know th CO has no smell but it will be combined with the exaust. Does BU exaust have no smell?

I put together an article with some information about the new ETX CAT Manifolds that was presented to us at the Indmar school. Feel free to read about it here. There is some performance data and a couple links to some other information too.

• 3 weeks later...
I am planning on movinf out of my XTI and into a new VTX. I currently have the 340 monsoon in my 05' and have been very pleased with it's performance. I am now specing out the VTX and can't decide if I should upgrade to the 340 or not. My salesman says that it's really not worth it. I don't want to find that with the increased ballast of the VTX that the 320 just is not enough. It sucks after you have the thing to have that buyers remorse. Thanks.

you do want the monsoon it is the best for the money

I put together an article with some information about the new ETX CAT Manifolds that was presented to us at the Indmar school. Feel free to read about it here. There is some performance data and a couple links to some other information too.

So according to Indmar, the CATs actually increase performance? I wonder why they didn't increase the hp rating of the Monsoon to 345 or 350hp

It's difficult at this point to determine which are "facts", and which is "creative marketing".

I think the "Jury is still Out" on this one.

Remember the phrase: "Tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth." We may be getting the "truth".... but maybe not the WHOLE truth. We don't really know.

"Better performance" could mean ...... same HP but broader torque curve ...... same HP but lower fuel consumption ......lower HP but lower fuel consumption ......lower HP/Torque but better fuel consumption ...... and, with what other potential downfalls. (ie: discussions about motor box temps.)

Who knows? Having been in Marketing in a past life, sometimes it's possible to make not-so-good things sound great. Conversely, it's also difficult sometimes to impress a cynical consumer that THIS time you're telling the truth... like really telling the truth.

Edited by doughickey
It's difficult at this point to determine which are "facts", and which is "creative marketing".

Remember the phrase: "Tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth." We may be getting the "truth".... but maybe not the WHOLE truth. We don't really know.

"Better performance" could mean ...... same HP but broader torque curve ...... same HP but lower fuel consumption ......lower HP but lower fuel consumption ......lower HP/Torque but better fuel consumption ...... and, with what other potential downfalls. (ie: discussions about motor box temps.)

Who knows? Having been in Marketing in a past life, sometimes it's possible to make not-so-good things sound great. Conversely, it's also difficult sometimes to impress a cynical consumer that THIS time you're telling the truth... like really telling the truth.

i am preaty sure that it get better fuel economy than the old and the other malibu engines. it is a 4star EPA rated engine.

ROFL.gif

From what I have read and heard the motors performance wise are nearly the same, what they lost in adding exhaust restriction form the cats, they were able to make up for in the fact that they are now a tr

ue closed loop system. They have 2 02 sensors mounted in the manifolds now that allows for more precise fuel mixture to load ratios. That's where the increased fuel economy comes from also. After researching a bit on how they work, I am not a bit gun shy now. It is standard automotive technology that we have been using for years now, the cat elements are completely isolated from water flow, they are jacketed with water cooling the outside housing.

Edited by Bawshogg
If I read correctly, they took the same boat and engine and tested it with and without the CATs, and it was quicker and faster with the CATs.

They who? Which boat? There are a couple of sources of information on this thread.

If I read correctly, they took the same boat and engine and tested it with and without the CATs, and it was quicker and faster with the CATs.

They who? Which boat? There are a couple of sources of information on this thread.

Now let’s take a look at some performance data. Indmar took a motor installed in a boat with a conventional exhaust system and did some base line testing. Indmar then took that same engine in the same boat and converted it to use the new ETX CAT exhaust system. While a little over-propped in the first example, you can clearly see the performance data speaks for itself. Further below, you’ll see some more trials, performed in the same manner, but with a boat propped correctly. Sorry about the image quality.

Propped 4850 rpm – Peak Speed .02 mph FASTER

Acceleration:

0-20 mph: .45 seconds, 6.47 feet FASTER

0-30 mph: .35 seconds, 3.13 feet FASTER

0-200 feet: .28 seconds FASTER

Propped 5250 rpm – Peak Speed 1.29 mph FASTER

Acceleration:

0-20 mph: .41 seconds, 7.08 feet FASTER

0-30 mph: .82 seconds, 22.8 feet FASTER

0-200 feet: .37 seconds FASTER