Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

27lsv confirmed 2023

The Hulk

2 hours ago, Gene3x said:

BTW....   I have a 2015 Tundra with an SC, helper springs and a 4.10 auburn diff  It tows like a legit 3/4 ton with plenty of power left.  I legit tow at 80 mph with rpms at 3300 and smooth as can be.

I'm hoping we need a sarcasm font for this one......

Well it's not a 27..  they probably did the 26-6 so us peasant "half ton folks" don't need to upgrade tow vehicles  🤣🤣

.. on side note..I'm sure tripple axial is standard so the tougne weight will be less than dual axil 25lsv.

At 26-6 + platform Its still shorter than your standard 25ft tritoon on trailer by about 2+ft .

Edited by The Hulk
9 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

Well it's not a 27..  they probably did the 26-6 so us peasant "half ton folks" don't need to upgrade tow vehicles  🤣🤣

.. on side note..I'm sure tripple axial is standard so the tougne weight will be less than dual axil 25lsv.

At 26-6 + platform Its still shorter than your standard 25ft tritoon on trailer by about 2+ft .

Just no pleasing @The Hulklol

• Haha 2
19 hours ago, RyanB said:

I'm hoping we need a sarcasm font for this one......

You are hoping? 

No sarcasm. 

With upgraded leaf springs and helper springs the payload and tongue weight it can handle is significantly higher.  I have put a pallet of wet sod in the bed without much droop.  And with the 4.10 rear end it tows better than many 3/4 ton trucks I have pulled with at higher speeds.

3 hours ago, Gene3x said:

You are hoping? 

No sarcasm. 

With upgraded leaf springs and helper springs the payload and tongue weight it can handle is significantly higher.  I have put a pallet of wet sod in the bed without much droop.  And with the 4.10 rear end it tows better than many 3/4 ton trucks I have pulled with at higher speeds.

Most of the folks that I know that claim any 1500 handles like a HD haven't driven a HD.  Because it isn't just about power.  Or helper springs.  It is the whole package.  Simply put, there is no comparison in stability between any 1500 and any HD truck.

The Tundra, especially in higher trim levels, is pretty well known to have a very low payload rating.  It is not uncommon for the Tundra to have less than 1200 pounds of payload.  You ought to take a look at that yellow sticker inside the driver door.  Helper springs doesn't solve that.

Take a look at your RAWR.  And your tire ratings.  You might be surprised at what you find.

Final observation.  Or question.  The Tundra is notorious for very low MPG.  Especially while towing.  80 MPH  at 3300 RPM would make my LSV seem fuel efficient.  Not to mention adding a blower to it.  What MPG do you get?

Edited by RyanB
23 hours ago, Gene3x said:

You are hoping? 

No sarcasm. 

Hey man, if it works it works no judgement here...but I bet you live where it's quite flat.  

On 7/16/2022 at 8:22 PM, RyanB said:

Most of the folks that I know that claim any 1500 handles like a HD haven't driven a HD.  Because it isn't just about power.  Or helper springs.  It is the whole package.  Simply put, there is no comparison in stability between any 1500 and any HD truck.

The Tundra, especially in higher trim levels, is pretty well known to have a very low payload rating.  It is not uncommon for the Tundra to have less than 1200 pounds of payload.  You ought to take a look at that yellow sticker inside the driver door.  Helper springs doesn't solve that.

Take a look at your RAWR.  And your tire ratings.  You might be surprised at what you find.

Final observation.  Or question.  The Tundra is notorious for very low MPG.  Especially while towing.  80 MPH  at 3300 RPM would make my LSV seem fuel efficient.  Not to mention adding a blower to it.  What MPG do you get?

I agree with you for the most part but again I have upgraded the leaf springs in addition to helper springs.  The payload on the new springs alone is supposed to be 2000lbs.  The helper springs make it more stable.  I hear what you are saying and have experience with lots of 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks.  Much of the Tundra is notoriously over engineered with the frame being one of the things approaching a 3/4 ton truck would have according to several things i have read about it over the years. They ARE the most reliable and have the best resale for a reason.  And yes I am am on mostly flat ground here in Texas. 

I did make a mistake on the rpm's.....   with the previous differential I was at 3300 to 3400 rpms at 75 mph.  This new 4.10 rear end puts me at around 2900 rpms at 80+ mph.  I avg about 12.5 mpg without anything in tow and about 8.5 mpg with my 25LSV back there.

My GVWR is just over 8k with the standard setup and with all these mods is an absolutely huge difference in every way.  Maybe it is technically over the GVWR at some point but definitely tows better than other 3/4 ton trucks towing the same weight that I have personally used.  I get comments from friends all the time how much better it tows than their trucks with these changes.  The larger leaf springs are probably the main reason.

Well Toyo definately makes a good truck. My brother drives them. But @RyanBand my truck tows at about 1500 rpm(cummins) going 70...effortlessly. I run 250hp over stock and get about 9.5-10 towing 13000. Hand calcd. The lie o meter says 12.5... Not.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Gene3x said:

I avg about 12.5 mpg without anything in tow and about 8.5 mpg with my 25LSV back there.

Ouch... Should have bought an F150 with 10 speed max tow and Ecoboost! At that mpg you could afforded the monthly payment delta on a 3/4 ton!

7 hours ago, Gene3x said:

I agree with you for the most part but again I have upgraded the leaf springs in addition to helper springs.  The payload on the new springs alone is supposed to be 2000lbs.  The helper springs make it more stable.  I hear what you are saying and have experience with lots of 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks.  Much of the Tundra is notoriously over engineered with the frame being one of the things approaching a 3/4 ton truck would have according to several things i have read about it over the years. They ARE the most reliable and have the best resale for a reason.  And yes I am am on mostly flat ground here in Texas. 

I did make a mistake on the rpm's.....   with the previous differential I was at 3300 to 3400 rpms at 75 mph.  This new 4.10 rear end puts me at around 2900 rpms at 80+ mph.  I avg about 12.5 mpg without anything in tow and about 8.5 mpg with my 25LSV back there.

My GVWR is just over 8k with the standard setup and with all these mods is an absolutely huge difference in every way.  Maybe it is technically over the GVWR at some point but definitely tows better than other 3/4 ton trucks towing the same weight that I have personally used.  I get comments from friends all the time how much better it tows than their trucks with these changes.  The larger leaf springs are probably the main reason.

We will agree to disagree😉. I’m glad you’re happy with your ride. 

1 hour ago, The Hulk said:

Ouch... Should have bought an F150 with 10 speed max tow and Ecoboost! At that mpg you could afforded the monthly payment delta on a 3/4 ton!

Lol. An F150 EcoBoost won’t get anywhere near the mileage that the CTD (or any modern diesel) does. My Ex towing 70-75 will get 7-8 with my LSV. My CTD will get better MPG and is so much more comfortable to use to tow that it isn’t even a real comparison. 

Long story, but my buddy had to tow his 210 Nautique to Powell with his F150 EB. From Grand Junction to Bullfrog he got 6 MPG hand calculated. The F350 6.7 I had to borrow was over 10. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Not true.  Last summer I towed my 2021 23 LSV last year on a 1,000 mile round trip with a 2019 F-150 EB, Max Payload Package, Max Tow Package, 6.5' bed and I saw an average of about 7.5 MPG.  Approximately 70 % of the tow was pretty flat.  The balance of it was rolling hills.  I also towed my current 2022 25 LSV with this truck and while the power was there, it simply wasn't as confident or stable as I would have liked.  Note that at 5,000 miles on that truck, I replaced all factory shocks and strut dampers as well as adding Timbren SES.  That made a world of difference in towing confidence over stock, but still wasn't enough to tow the new 25 confidently.  

I've since purchased an F250 Tremor with the 7.3L.  While I have yet to tow more than 35 miles, I can say that there's simply no comparison to the confidence and power in the pull.  I can also say with confidence that I would not have towed my current 25 on the same round trip as I did last year.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Gene3x said:

I do have to ask. What differential did it used to have? 4.88’s or 5.25’s or something? 

19 hours ago, Surfbeast21 said:

I do have to ask. What differential did it used to have? 4.88’s or 5.25’s or something? 

I made another mistake.  Stock is 3.73 on 2 wheel drive tundras and my Auburn Gear diff is 4.30 I think.

On 7/18/2022 at 11:18 PM, The Hulk said:

It is supercharged (521 hp) so I think those numbers are actually pretty decent.  I hope you are not taking numbers on mpg from your dash.  All of mine are hand calculated....  (actually calculated from Fuelio)

On 7/18/2022 at 7:52 PM, carguy79ta said:

Well Toyo definitely makes a good truck. My brother drives them. But @RyanBand my truck tows at about 1500 rpm(cummins) going 70...effortlessly. I run 250hp over stock and get about 9.5-10 towing 13000. Hand calcd. The lie o meter says 12.5... Not.

You don't think I get 12.5 mpg with nothing behind it?   It is supercharged and that is unloaded.  With my boat I get around 8.2 to 8.5 mpg

On 7/19/2022 at 12:50 AM, RyanB said:

We will agree to disagree😉. I’m glad you’re happy with your ride. 

Lol.... I have to ask, which part of my statement are are you mostly taking an issue with?

4 hours ago, Gene3x said:

I made another mistake.  Stock is 3.73 on 2 wheel drive tundras and my Auburn Gear diff is 4.30 I think.

That’s not the way changing gearing  works, You’re rpm’s at a given speed will definitely go up not down when going from 3.73 to 4.30’s. And if you didn’t make change In cpu. Then speedometer and. Mileage calculations are off also. 

4 hours ago, Gene3x said:

You don't think I get 12.5 mpg with nothing behind it?   It is supercharged and that is unloaded.  With my boat I get around 8.2 to 8.5 mpg

Sorry, I was not clear. When I tow the (lie-o-meter) trip mileage says I get about 12.5 mpg. I was referring to towing, not unloaded.

2 hours ago, Surfbeast21 said:

That’s not the way changing gearing  works, You’re rpm’s at a given speed will definitely go up not down when going from 3.73 to 4.30’s. And if you didn’t make change In cpu. Then speedometer and. Mileage calculations are off also. 

I dunno.  I can screen shot it or shoot a quick video but it is lower with the new diff.  Maybe it allows it to ride in overdrive at speed?

On 7/19/2022 at 5:07 AM, Slayer said:

I've since purchased an F250 Tremor with the 7.3L.  While I have yet to tow more than 35 miles, I can say that there's simply no comparison to the confidence and power in the pull.  I can also say with confidence that I would not have towed my current 25 on the same round trip as I did last year.

Jealous.  That's my dream truck for all-around use.  Just too big to use as a daily driver for my work/city commute. so I stick with my F150. 

I agree with a m235 previously and m240 now my upgrade from an f150 to an f250 with that turbo diesel has been massive with respect to towing.  Torque and stability as well as braking is the big difference. That said I almost never use the truck day to day as it’s far to large for city driving IMO.