Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Leak Found! Need help with fix!

36 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

Just Gary, I’m interested in your solution,  the only one I have read about is the fix where you make a shaft log, any details, I am assuming you would take the lid off the HDS and smear paste around the hull/box seam, then glass it making a new seal between the liner and the hull? That sounds easier than cutting out the box and making a shaft log.

That was my thought also.  My fix is hypothetical, but basically I'm not worried about structural repair, just leak repair.  Using a tool to jam paste into the seam should fill it and help provide adhesion, so it would be semi-structural anyway as long as the whole HDS box isn't loose.  I have had the lid off of my HDS when I repaired my strut, and I didn't see any reason why I couldn't do what I suggest.  I would have to pull the drive shaft to get good access, but I would have to do that anyway to remove the box and make a new log.

It is quite possible that a good job getting paste into every part of the joint and smoothing it off would fix the problem as is, but I would still probably put a layer of glass over it to help get a good seal.

By the way, I kind of suspect that HDS separation may be a northern thing due to freezing when just a bit of water is left in the HDS joint with the hull.  This would allow ice to separate the two layers of fiberglass over time.  If that is the case, I won't ever have to make this repair.  If I ever have to remove my drive shaft, I will probably just do it anyway.

7 hours ago, PontoonPat said:

Confirmed HDS. I couldnt believe the box would leak that far back!

You were right all along.. here we go with an HDS fix.

Bummer 😩I sincerely wish I was wrong. Well, the fix is documented well enough anyway.

keep us posted on the fix with pics!

Edited by braindamage
2 hours ago, footndale said:

I wonder how the Total Boat epoxy in a tube would work for getting into the seems,cracks?

That could be the easy button if you can get the tube in there to go all the way around.