Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Floating vs. Power Wedge?

Donnieb

I've read some older posts about the new "floating" wedge, but most of the comments were based on speculation. Has anyone tried the new floating wedge? How does it compare to the old wedge? If you were to buy a 07 VTX or VLX with a diamond hull to be used as a crossover boat (for surfing, wakeboarding and skiing), would you recommend the power or the floating wedge?

Also, how does the floating wedge compare to the Centurion's SwitchBlade? When I've talked to the Centurion rep he spoke about the superiority of their SwitchBlade to the Malibu wedge because it "floats" and therefore makes their boats easier to turn.

Thanks.

Donnie

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• skicrave

• Deltawake

• WakeGirl

• relentless

how does it work i dont understand

I'm not sure -- but here's a link to a thread about it.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....c=6197&st=0

Supposedly it will raise up automatically around hard corners, making it easier to turn. It "free floats" in the down position to create the proper down pressure at that speed. So, no adjustability like the PW, but in theory it could maximize its potential vs. being locked in. Also if you manage to tear off all your underwater gear hitting an underwater object and make it to the wedge, the wedge will just pop up.

I think Trenster tried it and liked it...but I'm not sure if others out there have tried it or had experience with it.

Thanks.

Donnie

I'll take a quick video of the new Wedge in action so you guys can see how it works (on the trailer obviously).

The idea is that the angle of the Wedge automatically adjusts regardless of how much weight is in the front or back of the boat, or what speed you're running at, so it's always working at the most efficient angle. The result is a much better wake in many different conditions, and it really is a huge improvement over the old style Wedge.

That sounds like something that we should be able to retro fit on old style boats.. unlike the power wedge which requires a bunch of hardware, controls etc... this one seems like it should bolt up in place of the old one..

please please please please..

That sounds like something that we should be able to retro fit on old style boats.. unlike the power wedge which requires a bunch of hardware, controls etc... this one seems like it should bolt up in place of the old one..

I think that the main issue would be the mounting bracket. Skicrave, any way that you can tell us whether or not the mounting pattern on the new bracket is the same as the old bracket?

I think that the main issue would be the mounting bracket. Skicrave, any way that you can tell us whether or not the mounting pattern on the new bracket is the same as the old bracket?

Tony at WSA told me that the bracket holes are the same. You can swap out the old bracket with the new one.

You can absolutely put the free-floating Wedge on any older boat, but it will require a new mounting bracket as the old manual Wedge bracket is totally different.

I'll check tomorrow to see if the specs for the hole spacing and diameter are the same on both brackets. My gut feeling is that they're not, but I really hope Malibu would be smart enough to make them the same (for their own good).

Tony at WSA told me that the bracket holes are the same. You can swap out the old bracket with the new one.

You just got a whole bunch of people here really excited (including me) with that statement. If it's true, I may have found the one big thing to buy for her this year. <crossing fingers & toes>

The old style wedge has always made me nervous when it comes to hitting something underwater. I've read a few horror stories on BuCrew about the wedge ripping off and creating a hole in the transom. Yikes!

The new wedge looks like it will deflect upwards with an impact, which may be a safety selling point.

Biggrin.gif

You just got a whole bunch of people here really excited (including me) with that statement. If it's true, I may have found the one big thing to buy for her this year. <crossing fingers & toes>

I have never known Tony to be wrong on things like this, but I suppose it could happen. We were looking right at one during our conversation and with my calibrated eye Biggrin.gif it sure looks like the same bolt pattern. Not to mention, he said they would swap right out.

Yes, I really like the floating wedge over the power wedge! My personal boat has the power wedge, but I pulled Idaho Boardstock with an 07 VLX that was equipped with the floating wedge. The wake was SO BIG AND CLEAN!!! The surfing wake was the best I have seen. I am debating on getting my 08 with the floating wedge, but am a little afraid of the resale. I believe that 99% of our customers will believe that the power wedge is better because it costs more and you don't have to physically mess with it. In fact I was really disappointed with the power wedge wake when my boat arrived after driving the other VLX for the tournament a few weeks earlier.

Trentster

Love.gif Group buy!!! Yes.gif

Sorry everyone, I didn't have a chance to confirm if the new bracket will fit today. I just got too distracted by the Apple Keynote! Love.gif

I'll get some detailed info tomorrow so we know for sure what's going on.

I just had a chance to measure a couple of boats and the bolt pattern is definitely the same between the old style manual Wedge and the new floating version.

I've got a video I'm finishing up that I'll upload shortly.

Yup...but I still don't know if it will work on my boat. The 01-02 LSV 23 diamond hulls required a different wedge than the standard wedge so it would clear the rudder. The foils were mounted a little farther back on the arms. We will see when we seee!

Edited by gooddog

That's no problem, on the new Wedge all of the foils are mounted near the leading edge, so there's no problem with interference from the rudder. For reference there is between 5 and 6 inches of clearance from the front edge of the foil to the surface the bracket mounts to.

If the Floating wedge can be retro'd to older boats Yahoo.gif Kudos to Malibu for do that......

I had to do it again I would probably go with the Floating wedge, although it is pretty cool to just press the button :)