Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfgate Hinge

Anyone ever had to replace the two hinges that hold the surfgate on the boat?  The pin inside the top hinge of my starboard Surfgate sheered off at the top.  Somehow the pin stayed in the bottom part of the hinge.  I was able to realign the surfgate and insert the pin back in.  Right now the pin is being held with tape so it doesn't fall back out.  Not sure why a pin would insert from the bottom up?  Anyway the threaded part of the pin is what broke off so I think I need a new hinge.

I think I am handy enough to fix this.  However, I have not looked at how it is attached to the boat yet.  Does it go thru the hull or just screwed into the hull?  Is there a special adhesive or sealer that I would use/need when I screw in the new hinge to the boat or surfgate?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up just using a marine sealant when I replaced the hinge.  Got a new hinge at Bakes.  Had to unhook the actuator from the surfgate to get to all the screws to remove the hinge.  Not too hard of a fix though.