Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Production Issues

zhuskers1

1 hour ago, ikmiller said:

Our 23 lsv was supposed to spray April 12. Talked with my dealer Saturday, he said that Malibu doesn’t even update their “portal” anymore for him to be able to get updates on builds. He said his Malibu rep will basically call him when they have a few boats completed and ready to ship, and that’s all the update he gets. You would think there’s a way to get a concrete answer as to what is going on but it seems right now there is not. It’s a very frustrating situation spending a ton of money and basically being in the dark regarding the whole process. I am trying to be understanding and not take it out on my salesman but my patience is getting really thin with this process.

This is not a problem unique to Malibu.  Not only that, but this is the second season of challenges but the challenges were magnified this year by several issues out of the control of Malibu.  I know it sucks.  I know that doesn't make you feel better, but it is what it is to be cliche'.

11 hours ago, gorenation said:

Anyone with spray dates around April 19th getting their boats (originally April 9th but pushed)? I ordered in October of 2020.

I followed up with my dealer on may 4th and he hadn't gotten any updates. Today is May 10th and nothing yet.

Again I do not understand why people seem to think when they ordered their boat makes a difference. It truly has no bearing on where your place is in line. I ordered late Sept and had my boat just after Christmas. All that matters is what your spray date is. I could order a boat now for a March 12, 2022 Spray date if that date is open, so please for the love of god people stop asking when you ordered the boat. 

On 5/3/2021 at 4:27 PM, oldjeep said:

Not as much demand ;). Local mastercraft dealer is advertising sale prices.  https://www.midwestwatersports.com/new-mastercraft-boats

Thanks for sharing OldJeep!   I love seeing advertisements from dealers with actual (and still negotiable) prices.  

I know some family / friends who could be potential buyers of new boats and  they don’t realize that they could get a $175,000 boat for $140,000 or a $118,000 boat for $93,000. 

9 hours ago, mk2driver said:

Again I do not understand why people seem to think when they ordered their boat makes a difference. It truly has no bearing on where your place is in line. I ordered late Sept and had my boat just after Christmas. All that matters is what your spray date is. I could order a boat now for a March 12, 2022 Spray date if that date is open, so please for the love of god people stop asking when you ordered the boat. 

You must have missed my entire comment. It's okay; reading isn't for everyone.

hey at least the predictions of $4gas by memorial day will finally come true!,  that is if the "gas shortage" doesn't lead to further production delays., We are already seeing it in the trucking/delivering sector and its quickly coming to a place near you!

43 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

hey at least the predictions of $4gas by memorial day will finally come true!,  that is if the "gas shortage" doesn't lead to further production delays., We are already seeing it in the trucking/delivering sector and its quickly coming to a place near you!

And if Gretchen  is successful on the 18th, forget propane BBQs.

18 hours ago, ikmiller said:

Our 23 lsv was supposed to spray April 12. Talked with my dealer Saturday, he said that Malibu doesn’t even update their “portal” anymore for him to be able to get updates on builds. He said his Malibu rep will basically call him when they have a few boats completed and ready to ship, and that’s all the update he gets. You would think there’s a way to get a concrete answer as to what is going on but it seems right now there is not. It’s a very frustrating situation spending a ton of money and basically being in the dark regarding the whole process. I am trying to be understanding and not take it out on my salesman but my patience is getting really thin with this process.

This is what I assumed was happening. I am not upset with the dealer because you can tell corporate isn't giving him any answers. My most significant issue is I have a $10,000 vacation booked for June (Lake Powell) that requires my boat to be done as my other one already sold during the trade-in process. If I don't cancel the trip by Friday, I forfeit the entire $10,000. Not to mention all the people that have requested work off, can't book plane tickets because we don't know, animal sitters, etc.

If it were a shipping issue, I would pick the thing up and drive it back myself. Sorry that you're experiencing the same problem. If I can't get an answer by Friday (I'm blowing corporate up), this will likely be my last Malibu. While it would suck, I don't care if the answer is "it won't be done" or "We never produced it on April 19th as stated and didn't bother to update your dealer" I just need to know.

Edited by gorenation
  • Sad 1

I talked to the dealer the first week of May. At that time, the only info he could get out of the Malibu system was that our boat was still showing its spray date (4/19) and had a Serial Number assigned. He could not tell if it was completed, was partially completed, sidelined waiting for parts, or if it was waiting to be shipped. He was confident it was started since it had a SN assigned in the system, but that's all he knew. 

The contact he previously had in Production at Malibu was promoted out of that spot last year. And they had not developed a relationship with the new person to get that level of detail yet (or the new person just does not do that, I don't know).

The good news? He got in touch with someone in the shipping department to see if it was in the queue to be shipped. Rather than wait for a full tractor trailer to be ready (and a driver to get it to MD), they had a someone drag the boat up on the trailer, it showed up at the dealer yesterday.

Even before Covid, they would often do that, bring the boats up individually vs. waiting for a full tractor trailer. At least now I know my trailer is broken in.

Of course the dealer is down two mechanics due to Covid issues, not sure when they will have a chance to unwrap it an check it out to see if it needs any work done to it. Hopefully soon...

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, jhillard said:

I talked to the dealer the first week of May. At that time, the only info he could get out of the Malibu system was that our boat was still showing its spray date (4/19) and had a Serial Number assigned. He could not tell if it was completed, was partially completed, sidelined waiting for parts, or if it was waiting to be shipped. He was confident it was started since it had a SN assigned in the system, but that's all he knew. 

The contact he previously had in Production at Malibu was promoted out of that spot last year. And they had not developed a relationship with the new person to get that level of detail yet (or the new person just does not do that, I don't know).

The good news? He got in touch with someone in the shipping department to see if it was in the queue to be shipped. Rather than wait for a full tractor trailer to be ready (and a driver to get it to MD), they had a someone drag the boat up on the trailer, it showed up at the dealer yesterday.

Even before Covid, they would often do that, bring the boats up individually vs. waiting for a full tractor trailer. At least now I know my trailer is broken in.

Of course the dealer is down two mechanics due to Covid issues, not sure when they will have a chance to unwrap it an check it out to see if it needs any work done to it. Hopefully soon...

That's excellent news! Congratulations. From my understanding, they typically build 1 type of boat at a time. My MXZ was slated for a 19th spray date. Was yours an MXZ? (Disregard I see that it was an LSV)

Edited by gorenation

People hopefully do realize things are getting worse by the day in about all industries still.. 

I sure would not be risking 10K on any mfgs estimated delivery date during these times especially given the labor shortages now and the trucking industry getting crushed at the moment via lack of drivers and fuel and lack of working tractors.. we have several trucking companies for typical 2 day transit deliveries now taking 5 to 7+ days 

Edited by The Hulk
10 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

People hopefully do realize things are getting worse by the day in about all industries still.. 

I sure would not be risking 10K on any mfgs estimated delivery date during these times especially given the labor shortages now and the trucking industry getting crushed at the moment via lack of drivers and fuel and lack of working tractors.. we have several trucking companies for typical 2 day transit deliveries now taking 5 to 7+ days 

Shipping isn't a concern for me; if the boat is waiting to be shipped, it's only a 5-hour drive. I can go pick it up and bring it to the dealer. But, that would require Malibu actually to communicate with someone.

At this point, I have already forfeited $5,000 if the trip doesn't go on. I  listed the reservation for sale on the classifieds section here as well as other places.

The trip is extremely important to my family as me, and my little brother planned it in September of last year; unfortunately, he passed away at age 19 in October, meaning this is the last thing he helped plan that we'll ever be able to do. So regardless of the world crisis, I have to hold on to a little bit of hope that someone can talk to my dealer and give him an update.

• Sad 2
Just now, gorenation said:

Shipping isn't a concern for me; if the boat is waiting to be shipped, it's only a 5-hour drive. I can go pick it up and bring it to the dealer. But, that would require Malibu actually to communicate with someone.

At this point, I have already forfeited $5,000 if the trip doesn't go on. I  listed the reservation for sale on the classifieds section here as well as other places.

The trip is extremely important to my family as me, and my little brother planned it in September of last year; unfortunately, he passed away at age 19 in October, meaning this is the last thing he helped plan that we'll ever be able to do. So regardless of the world crisis, I have to hold on to a little bit of hope that someone can talk to my dealer and give him an update.

hopefully you get lucky. we have numerous suppliers only a few hours away and they will not allow us to come pick up even though product is ready. not sure what their policy is. crazy that a few hour drive 1-2 day LTL services are literally cancelling day after day when we could go get a lot of things in a day or even half day.  

sorry for the loss, is there an option to rent possibly? while obviously a wake boat is priority #1 perhaps a pontoon or something could be rented?  good luck. 

3 minutes ago, gorenation said:

Sorry to hear about your brother.  Have you called Malibu directly and asked if your boat is ready?  If you offer to pick it up, they might just say yes.  It would be a good idea to keep your dealer in the loop on this since you would transport the boat to them to prep and deliver to you.

1 minute ago, justgary said:

Sorry to hear about your brother.  Have you called Malibu directly and asked if your boat is ready?  If you offer to pick it up, they might just say yes.  It would be a good idea to keep your dealer in the loop on this since you would transport the boat to them to prep and deliver to you.

I have left six voicemails on the corporate line and used the contact request on their website—no return communication as of yet. I'm sure the dealer would be cool with it. They've been great to work with so far.

3 minutes ago, gorenation said:

I have left six voicemails on the corporate line and used the contact request on their website—no return communication as of yet. I'm sure the dealer would be cool with it. They've been great to work with so far.

Have you tried all of the numbers listed here?  Stay on topic if you get somebody on the line since they are busy.  Has it sprayed; is it complete; can I help out by towing it to my dealer?

https://www.yellowpages.com/loudon-tn/mip/malibu-boats-of-tennessee-inc-4989934

3 hours ago, gorenation said:

That was along the line of what I left in my voicemails. I was never mad or angry; I made it clear I was okay if the boat would be pushed to a 22 ETC just needed to know and that I could help with delivery if needed.

Ten minutes ago, someone (I don't want to mention their name) from Malibu Corporate called me and let me know that my boat shipped to the dealer on May 7th! The guy that called me was fantastic. It was not the same guy that I have left multiple voicemails.

Congratulations! As someone waiting too, it’s nice to see your perseverance pay off especially considering the meaning of your trip. 

Out of curiosity, what boat did you order? (Missed that you mentioned a MXZ)

Edited by Trizzil
Missed model
7 minutes ago, Trizzil said:

Congratulations! As someone waiting too, it’s nice to see your perseverance pay off especially considering the meaning of your trip. 

Out of curiosity, what boat did you order?

He said MXZ a few posts back....

17 hours ago, gorenation said:

That was along the line of what I left in my voicemails. I was never mad or angry; I made it clear I was okay if the boat would be pushed to a 22 ETC just needed to know and that I could help with delivery if needed.

Ten minutes ago, someone (I don't want to mention their name) from Malibu Corporate called me and let me know that my boat shipped to the dealer on May 7th! The guy that called me was fantastic. It was not the same guy that I have left multiple voicemails.

Seems like your dealer maybe didn't try hard enough to get you an answer. If it was that easy for you to get one it should have been easier for them.

• Like 3
18 hours ago, gorenation said:

Congratulations!  That's great news.  You should have adequate time to break it in and get the 10 hour service done prior to your trip.  Go over that thing with a fine tooth comb, too.  I've got several issues with my boat, and they keep coming up, too.  

I would be pissed at my dealer if I was in your shoes.  They should have been able to get the answers for you as suggested by @23LSVOwner.  I would use that to your benefit and schedule your 10 service with them now rather than wait.  My dealer had me out a few weeks and when Malibu got involved, the dealer pulled my 10 hour service ahead by a couple of weeks.  

• Like 2

Looks like June spots are being filled.

Received word today that my new spray date is confirmed for late June (original was April - ordered in October). 

Also confirmed that pricing will be honored on all orders confirmed for a ‘21 model year spray date that get pushed to model year ‘22.

Unfortunately, model year ‘21 orders that don’t receive a confirmed spray date and are pushed to model year ‘22 will see price increases. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Trizzil said:

Looks like June spots are being filled.

Received word today that my new spray date is confirmed for late June (original was April - ordered in October). 

Also confirmed that pricing will be honored on all orders confirmed for a ‘21 model year spray date that get pushed to model year ‘22.

Unfortunately, model year ‘21 orders that don’t receive a confirmed spray date and are pushed to model year ‘22 will see price increases. 

Blank check time! Woohoo 🎉