Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Production Issues

zhuskers1

I know someone here said it doesn’t matter when you ordered but I did order in October. I wasn’t aware that I should have demanded or asked for a slot date. Dealer could never get a date until April,  of June 1. Then that date got pulled last month . Now nothing. I’m aware the model year change is around July 1. So no boat this summer ? Maybe, maybe not. Price increase because I’m just one of the boats that fell into the change over ? It’s just crazy Malibu isn’t telling dealers more. I can’t be the only order this is happening to. If June slots are being filled, they have to know by now if orders are being filled or not . 

There's an almost identical post over on the Keystone forum right now about all Montana's shipping from Elkhart after the first week of May will automatically have a 10% price increase. Some dealers may absorb part of the increase but rumor is others are saying they won't honor price commitments.

• Like 2

It stinks but not like ppl are going to cancel.  There are 1000+ ppl in line that would take it at the +10% price hikes rather than the future +20% 2022 pricing or higher

half the companies we deal with are doing rate hikes instantly. We complain we ordered last month. Doesn't matter take it at new price if not many more are waiting in line.. not going to be different in boating industry now.. 

I can tell u though IMO things are quickly coming to a halt. Party is going to be over shortly. Show rooms from boats to accessories are empty and the season hasn't officially begun.

Worker shortages are crushing productivity across this country. Don't forget people will start receiving $300/mo/kid starting June or july through December or total of $3600/kid .. problem isn't going to get fixed anytime quickly.. inflation touted at 4%.. laughable.. if u check it monthly then it is currently annualized at 20% ! 

Edited by The Hulk
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, The Hulk said:

It stinks but not like ppl are going to cancel.  There are 1000+ ppl in line that would take it at the +10% price hikes rather than the future +20% 2022 pricing or higher

half the companies we deal with are doing rate hikes instantly. We complain we ordered last month. Doesn't matter take it at new price if not many more are waiting in line.. not going to be different in boating industry now.. 

I can tell u though IMO things are quickly coming to a halt. Party is going to be over shortly. Show rooms from boats to accessories are empty and the season hasn't officially begun.

Worker shortages are crushing productivity across this country. Don't forget people will start receiving $300/mo/kid starting June or july through December or total of $3600/kid .. problem isn't going to get fixed anytime quickly.. inflation touted at 4%.. laughable.. if u check it monthly then it is currently annualized at 20% ! 

Banana republic here we come.

Don’t worry the world will surely follow!

9 hours ago, IXFE said:

It’s so funny how people in this thread think this is a Malibu only thing.  Maybe they don’t follow other “toys” like you and I do. I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again...

the Bronco forum is so bad I had to stop going (I’m patiently waiting for a vehicle I ordered in July). I got so fed up I decided “screw Ford and the Bronco, I’m buying a Wrangler 392 or maybe a Ram TRX.”  Haha, that idea didn’t last long. I found dealers willing to “take my order” but when I asked how long it takes this was the answer I got... “total crap shoot, honestly. Some that ordered last august are still waiting. Some that ordered in March already have them. No real sense to be made of scheduling.”  Sound familiar?  

One more example. The wife wants a Lux suv so we go poking around... dealers largely empty.  We walk into Porsche to look at Cayenne. They have a few, but not the ones anybody wants. He warns me the Cayenne factory is about to shut down. I ask the guy, “so if I buy a Cayenne for the wife, can you put me on your list for a 911 GT3?”  Dude sighs and stares at me as if to say, “b**** please.”  When he actually talks I get a firm,no.”  I respond,“why not?”  But I already know the answer. He confirms my suspicion that he already has at least 25 people on the list already that have NO chance at getting one, and those that do will pay $40k over list price (on a $200k car). These are folks who have already purchased 5-6 cars from them.  FYI... 911 Turbo S is almost as bad. 

And don’t get me started about guns. It’s a zoo out there. 

Bigger question is when things star shutting down what happens to economy.. I guess just print more free $ 

We are passing on 7.5% across-the-board increases in our services effective now.  This is on top of a 6% increase that went into effect on January 1 (third party logistics provider).  Paying $16 per hour to get a body in the door that has no qualifications, let alone a high school diploma.  I see additional increases happening quarterly as we continue to adjust to all of this, probably landing at 30% overall for the year.

16 minutes ago, NWBU said:

I’d guess that 90-95% of us have never had to deal with inflation in our working lives, myself included.

My first home loan in 1986 was 9.25% for a 30 year loan.  We refinanced seven years later at 6.5% for a 15 year loan and had essentially the same monthly payment.

• Like 2

My spray date has been moved again from 5/26 to 6/2.   
I ordered a 23 LSV in early November.  Original deliver estimate - early May

Production dates of 5/12 and 5/26 were changed.  Now 6/2.  

I will be lucky to get it by July 4th.   

My dealer is doing all he can and is communicating with me in a direct and honest manner.   

Patiently, Patiently, PATIENTLY WAITING!

Ordered an A24 first week of October with anticipation of production to start at the end of February/early March. Was assigned production date of 5/6 at the end of March which was then pushed back to 5/17 mid April. Received serial numbers from Axis on 4/21. Just talked to the dealer and they mentioned we're still on track for production to start on Monday. Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly and can get it shipped to the PNW without much delay. 

14 hours ago, IXFE said:

This isn’t Malibu’s fault. This is your dealer’s fault. They overcommitted, collected your deposit, gave you a “rough estimate” and figured it would all be fine come spring (ie Malibu would figure it out). After all, that’s what sales people do, and every other year it’s worked out fine. But this isn’t every other year. Supply is actually healthy. This is a demand issue. Your dealer let you order a boat that Malibu can’t build (on your timeline) because hundreds/thousands of others people just like you also ordered a new Bu. That’s all this is. 

Join the rest of us waiting for other fun stuff we want to buy but can’t. 

Sorry, just is. 

This is 1,000,000 % accurate.....it's a dealer issue, not a Malibu issue and relative to your comments about sales people, that's also accurate AF.

You and I ordered our boats about the same time and they sprayed within a couple days of each other.  I followed up with my dealer twice in the late fall / early winter after ordering our boat.  I was either calling or emailing my dealer weekly after the first of the year asking of updates.  Sometimes twice weekly.  It wasn't just me pressuring them each time I reached, either.  It was done in an effort to see if I could gain trust in them based on some past experiences.  I'm still not there with the trust element, but I do think they're trying.  I did this because I know the position they were in last year and didn't want any inaction on my behalf allow them to take their foot off the gas.  After a few conversations just before the new year, I was told in an email that they would have information that was reliable on "X" date.  When I followed up on that date, I was given confirmation and a spray date.  I followed up again every week to be sure nothing slipped and on the date it was to spray, I followed up again and was told the following morning that it was in production.   

So, @Livinlogs and @zhuskers1, while I'm empathetic to your position, it's not a Malibu thing.  

I'll also add that I believe Malibu is well aware of what's going on.  They've been in communication with me a couple times since I took delivery of my boat to address concerns I have and they've also been in touch with my dealer.  I'm encouraged by the support they seem to have for the customer and the pressure they seem to be putting on the dealer to make the customer, me in this case, happy and want to order another boat.  As @IXFE, sorry but it is what it is and your frustrations should be more directed toward your dealer.  

• Like 2
3 hours ago, zhuskers1 said:

My spray date has been moved again from 5/26 to 6/2.   
I ordered a 23 LSV in early November.  Original deliver estimate - early May

Production dates of 5/12 and 5/26 were changed.  Now 6/2.  

I will be lucky to get it by July 4th.   

My dealer is doing all he can and is communicating with me in a direct and honest manner.   

I have been wanting to ask this question of people who ordered early. 
and this is to all of you. 

Did you tell your dealer you wanted a spring delivery? Or did you say “ I want my bust as soon as possible” 

When we spend this much money on a boat, what the heck is a couple extra bucks for winter storage?  I hear all the time. “I want late delivery do I don’t have to pay storage” 

when I bought my 19, I ordered in November and had my boat in January. But I said “I want it ASAP!!”

Edited by Sparky450
11 minutes ago, Livinlogs said:

I have now fully learned how the system works mostly from this group . I was able to talk to Malibu and in typical southern hospitality, was given clear and accurate info with an apology. Malibu now has my full respect . I know now what to do when I order again , which I’m sure I will….. how the turntables……

Yeah, they were very apologetic to me as well saying my boat should have never left the factory the way it did.  I'm happy to hear you've spoken with them. 

I am in the same situation. I ordered my boat early November and was told by the salesman that we would be assigned a late February spray date some time in early February. When I called mid Feb to learn what the spray date would be and that I was concerned about production issues, the salesman replied that he was not concerned and was sure my boat would be easily slotted in since it was not a super popular model (VTX).  He asked when the soonest I would absolutely have to have it. I replied I didn't need it early but was worried about production. He assured me it wasn't an issue. 

As I continued to get disconcerting supply chain news,  the sales guy finally said it would be delivered to the shop May 25. This seemed vague and he did not tell me a confirmed spray date. Looking back I don't think this was ever a real possibility. 

When I eventually contacted the dealership owner he relayed that the very earliest order date was for May 20. That very quickly got pushed to June 4. Yesterday he told me the system shows the start date as June 10. It's difficult to be optimistic when the info changes weekly. 

The 2 trips I planned and payed for in June are a bust, at my expense. And everyone else I know of that ordered from this dealer or MasterCraft for this season, later than I did,  have already received their finished boats. Based on the assurances for a March or early April delivery,  I sold my previous boat in Fall. 

Unfortunately none of this gives me any reason to be optimistic. I text my dealer yesterday and subsequently reached out to Malibu customer service to tell them the concern and situation. They were very apologetic and seemed to want to help get me some answers. I got a text back late last night from my dealer saying that he spoke with his Malibu rep and he should have some information for me Friday. So who knows what the info will be, could be delivered to the dealer next week, could be pushed to June production, could be canceled. I, like many other, have multiple trips planned with a good amount of money tied up in them. It’s just a very frustrating process, especially after reading how common it is. Hopefully tomorrow brings good news.

On 5/11/2021 at 10:21 AM, gorenation said:

Shipping isn't a concern for me; if the boat is waiting to be shipped, it's only a 5-hour drive. I can go pick it up and bring it to the dealer. But, that would require Malibu actually to communicate with someone.

At this point, I have already forfeited $5,000 if the trip doesn't go on. I  listed the reservation for sale on the classifieds section here as well as other places.

The trip is extremely important to my family as me, and my little brother planned it in September of last year; unfortunately, he passed away at age 19 in October, meaning this is the last thing he helped plan that we'll ever be able to do. So regardless of the world crisis, I have to hold on to a little bit of hope that someone can talk to my dealer and give him an update.

Hey man so sorry to hear about your brother, get ahold of me if you want to rent my 2017 23 LSV I would move mountains to get it wherever knowing your situation. [email protected]

• Like 2
1 hour ago, dlite said:

I am in the same situation. I ordered my boat early November and was told by the salesman that we would be assigned a late February spray date some time in early February. When I called mid Feb to learn what the spray date would be and that I was concerned about production issues, the salesman replied that he was not concerned and was sure my boat would be easily slotted in since it was not a super popular model (VTX).  He asked when the soonest I would absolutely have to have it. I replied I didn't need it early but was worried about production. He assured me it wasn't an issue. 

As I continued to get disconcerting supply chain news,  the sales guy finally said it would be delivered to the shop May 25. This seemed vague and he did not tell me a confirmed spray date. Looking back I don't think this was ever a real possibility. 

When I eventually contacted the dealership owner he relayed that the very earliest order date was for May 20. That very quickly got pushed to June 4. Yesterday he told me the system shows the start date as June 10. It's difficult to be optimistic when the info changes weekly. 

The 2 trips I planned and payed for in June are a bust, at my expense. And everyone else I know of that ordered from this dealer or MasterCraft for this season, later than I did,  have already received their finished boats. Based on the assurances for a March or early April delivery,  I sold my previous boat in Fall. 

Sounds like a dealer issue to me.  Sales telling you what you want to hear without doing any work to get answers.

1 hour ago, ikmiller said:

Unfortunately none of this gives me any reason to be optimistic. I text my dealer yesterday and subsequently reached out to Malibu customer service to tell them the concern and situation. They were very apologetic and seemed to want to help get me some answers. I got a text back late last night from my dealer saying that he spoke with his Malibu rep and he should have some information for me Friday. So who knows what the info will be, could be delivered to the dealer next week, could be pushed to June production, could be canceled. I, like many other, have multiple trips planned with a good amount of money tied up in them. It’s just a very frustrating process, especially after reading how common it is. Hopefully tomorrow brings good news.

I don't think this issues ia a common issue.  Perhaps others on this forum who order boats annually could offer a better response but BC (before covid), I don't ever recall reading anything on this forum that would suggest this is a common occurance.  I think covid jacked everything up, dealers took advantage of the market opportunity to sell the hell out of boats, buys had cash because travel effectively ceased and vacations were cancelled, and now we have supply chain issues.  I think this is an anomaly and not normalcy.  

1 hour ago, Slayer said:

Sounds like a dealer issue to me.  Sales telling you what you want to hear without doing any work to get answers.

I don't think this issues ia a common issue.  Perhaps others on this forum who order boats annually could offer a better response but BC (before covid), I don't ever recall reading anything on this forum that would suggest this is a common occurance.  I think covid jacked everything up, dealers took advantage of the market opportunity to sell the hell out of boats, buys had cash because travel effectively ceased and vacations were cancelled, and now we have supply chain issues.  I think this is an anomaly and not normalcy.  

Common for this year and as it seems even more specifically late winter - early spring spray dates. I guess I should’ve specified. This is my first time ordering new. I understand all the challenges theyre up against given covid, resin, shipping, probably labor, etc. none of those should affect Malibu-to-dealer and dealer-to-customer communication and updates. As I told my dealer I am understanding of delays and issues as long as I am made aware of them. When my spray date is April 12 and I have zero update (and apparently neither does my dealer) as to what the status is of our build, it’s an issue. 

Edited by ikmiller
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Slayer said:

Agreed, Slayer.

• Like 2

First and foremost I really like my dealer and he is doing all he can to get my boat ASAP and is communicating with me in a direct and honest fashion.  

But in all do respect, some of ya'll have drank the Kool-Aid.  The end to end communication in this unusual situation has been dismal at best.  This is not a small purchase and the dealer is not the customer....... the BOAT OWNER is the customer.  I have been a Malibu Customer for over 30 years.  Love their product, their culture and their innovation.  But their communication with the real customer in this situation is not up to par.    Patiently waiting.

4 minutes ago, zhuskers1 said:

First and foremost I really like my dealer and he is doing all he can to get my boat ASAP and is communicating with me in a direct and honest fashion.  

But in all do respect, some of ya'll have drank the Kool-Aid.  The end to end communication in this unusual situation has been dismal at best.  This is not a small purchase and the dealer is not the customer....... the BOAT OWNER is the customer.  I have been a Malibu Customer for over 30 years.  Love their product, their culture and their innovation.  But their communication with the real customer in this situation is not up to par.    Patiently waiting.

Dunno.  I would say that I have had worse communication from an out of state Lexus dealer and Lexus corporate about where my plates were and why nobody could seem to return a call.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, zhuskers1 said:

With all due respect this isn’t about Kool-Aid. It’s about unrealistic expectations. Always has been. 

Sincerely,

Patiently waiting for my Bronco, never once expecting a personal update from the glass house. 

• Like 4