Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is there any different between a 22 VLX or 23 LSV for slalom skiing

Beautifulday

Looking for help. I will be graduating from a classic inboard 19' ski boat to a Malibu soon. Love to ski and looking forward to surfing. Do I gain a flatter wake with the 22' VTX at 29-32MPH to justify giving up 15 inches in boat length and 200 lbs in dry weight? Or are they basically the same and go with the bigger boat?

Thread title and contents are different.  22VLX turned into the 22 LSV, same overall size.  the VTX is a 20'.  

If you want to ski, identify the differences between diamond and wake hull, and get a diamond hull.  Difference in surf wave will be negligible, and ski wake will be WAY better on the diamond.

There is TONS of discussion on wake vs. diamond on this forum, just search.

In regards to size, the lighter diamond hull boat will ski the best, but if the difference is enough to warrant a smaller boat, is up to you.  

Assuming all diamond, I'd assume the VTX skis the best, then 22 vlx/lsv (name depends on year), then 23lsv.

I'd go bigger diamond over smaller wake hull though, if that's what options are out there used.

Best of luck

Wake Hull

wake.jpg.69b4f91f531758442b4978062af4c174.jpg

Diamond Hull

diamond.jpg.a6096ad9a19e2400929c8bdce20972d1.jpg

• Like 2
Beautifulday

Thank you. Very helpful. Have been looking for a couple of months...have only seen one diamond hull. Anyone selling a 22' VTX diamond hull out there?

1 hour ago, Beautifulday said:

Thank you. Very helpful. Have been looking for a couple of months...have only seen one diamond hull. Anyone selling a 22' VTX diamond hull out there?

Just to clarify the lengths of recent models.  VTX is 20ft.  22VLX/LSV is 22 ft (designation depends on year) and 23LSV is 23ft. Here is a link to a search for Malibu boats with "diamond" as a keyword.  Quite a few options available for all models discussed.  Good luck in your search.

https://www.onlyinboards.com/Used-ski-boats.aspx?PartMakers=true&Keywords=Diamond&Distance=100&OmitNoPrice=1&MakerName=3

Edited by bovhica
  • Like 1