Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 WS 247 Rudder bracket

PXL_20210216_193155767.thumb.jpg.01d38c08621385304cf5929dd3ec6a1f.jpgI will assume this bracket should not be loose does anybody know what the heck it's for nothing mounts to it? The only thing I can tell is that it's wearing through my pump hose ūüė§

PXL_20210216_193217792.jpg

Edited by WGjames

It looks like a fix to keep the dreaded rudder inversion from happening.  When you turn the helm all the way, does the rudder arm hit the hose?  Ideally, it should not hit the hose or that plate.  Will the hose move to the other side of the plate?

Either way, that bracket should not be loose.

• Like 2

Hey thank you I'll check that out and yes now the brackets tight.  Lots of loose bolts on this new to me 2008!

19 hours ago, WGjames said:

Lots of loose bolts on this new to me 2008!

For you and anyone else reading, I'd put the checking of underwater gear hardware tightness on your winterization checklist every so often.  When I rehabbed my boat in 2018 I was completely shocked at how loose the nuts were on the shaft log.  Sure enough, I start checking others and I'm surprised she didn't fill with water every day.  Depending on model, bolts for the swim step should be included too.

On 2/18/2021 at 1:49 PM, formulaben said:

For you and anyone else reading, I'd put the checking of underwater gear hardware tightness on your winterization checklist every so often.  When I rehabbed my boat in 2018 I was completely shocked at how loose the nuts were on the shaft log.  Sure enough, I start checking others and I'm surprised she didn't fill with water every day.  Depending on model, bolts for the swim step should be included too.

thx,  i will check this week coming but by hand when i have checked the steering mount they seemed fine, haven't focused on running gear on outside because the seem so solid when i have done prop changes 

swim deck requires removing or cutting carpet im pretty sure so going rattle the supports in their bracket and see if the hull brackets move, under visual from cleaning they¬†seem¬†solid but as a ‚Äė14 they should¬†be

Edited by granddaddy55