Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2021 23 LSV Stereo Build

Brandonloos21

Brandonloos21

Have finally received all of our (additional) stereo equipment for the new 23 LSV, which will be installed as soon as she comes in. Equipment I have recently purchaced to add to this build includes:

SDX-4, 2 SYN-DX 2.3 HPs, Rev 10’s, Revo Xxx 12 subwoofer, malibu g5 tower adapters, and various installation accessories (wire, plugs, exile adapters, etc)
spacer.png

Stereo setup will consist of:

SDX4 to power the 8 8” in boat wetsounds coaxials at 150 rms each

SDX2 to power 2 pairs of rev 10’s at 300 rms each

2 syn dx2.3 to power 2 Revo xxx 12 subs at 1200 rms each

Exile adapters will be used in addition to a custom speaker harness plug that u will be making so that I do not have to cut (and void warranty for) the speaker wire plug. I have ordered the plug and pins from digikey, and some 16ga speaker wire as well for the connections.

spacer.png

Planning on creating a new amp rack from starboard, with the SDX amps on top, and the syn amps on the bottom, much like @Slurpee has, with the wiring and black box hidden behind. I plan on doing 2 distro blocks, one positive and one negative, 0 ga into 4 ga. Slurpee’s setup

I’m going to do the tower speakers myself, planning on doing a strand of 12ga per side, and paralleling the wire inside of one of the cans (to be run to the other can of that side), has anyone done this, how did it work? Also, any advice for hanging with the x mount and malibu adapter kit? Should I use thread lock, or any type of sealant? 

As for the subwoofer boxes, I have my preexisting Revo xxx12 in a factory specd tube ported box, that I plan on putting under the observers compartment. I am going to take the boat to a local shop in the Pittsburgh area called TeamNutz, and have them fab a custom box under the helm, and fab a faceplate for that as well, much like what is pictured below. My question is, should I try and do them ported towards the hull, or back into the cabin? Also, how have you guys securely mounted your sub boxes to the floor under the observers compartment?

spacer.png

Any comments or suggestions you guys have for my throughout this process will be greatly appreciated, and I am going to try and keep all of you updated through as well! Thanks

• Like 2

Nice, cant wait to see the finished project. I am replacing my 2020 23 MXZ stereo this spring.  Like you, I have all my equipment.  Just waiting for the snow to melt so I can get it to my installer.  Why did you go with the 2.3 for the subs?  I went with the JL HD750 for my W6 due to the regulated power supply. 

I will be porting the box and have it point towards the cabin.

Edited by dwc032
  • Like 1
Brandonloos21
50 minutes ago, dwc032 said:

Nice, cant wait to see the finished project. I am replacing my 2020 23 MXZ stereo this spring.  Like you, I have all my equipment.  Just waiting for the snow to melt so I can get it to my installer.  Why did you go with the 2.3 for the subs?  I went with the JL HD750 for my W6 due to the regulated power supply. 

I will be porting the box and have it point towards the cabin.

I went with the 2.3’s for the subs because they were a good bit cheaper (300 each) than the sdx2’s. I had the sdx2 previously for the towers, and since the subs will be playing a more narrow range of frequencies, I figure the extra technology and protection of the sdx series is not needed. What setup are you going with on your 2020? 

I went with a 2.3 for 4 icon 8's, HD750 for the W6 and the SYN6 for the cabin speakers.  I am not a HLCD fan so the icons work better for us.  I had all my plugs made so I didn't have to cut the factory wiring harness.

Brandonloos21
1 hour ago, dwc032 said:

I went with a 2.3 for 4 icon 8's, HD750 for the W6 and the SYN6 for the cabin speakers.  I am not a HLCD fan so the icons work better for us.  I had all my plugs made so I didn't have to cut the factory wiring harness.

Oh awesome, that should sound nice!! 

1 hour ago, dwc032 said:

My dealer would have you believe this will void your whole boat warranty! Claims adding 1 LED bulb can void it.

Love the builds, if I keep mine long time, I will do the same.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, dalt1 said:

My dealer would have you believe this will void your whole boat warranty! Claims adding 1 LED bulb can void it.

Love the builds, if I keep mine long time, I will do the same.

My dealer told me as long as I don't cut any wires I am good to go.  

• Like 1
Brandonloos21
1 hour ago, dwc032 said:

My dealer told me as long as I don't cut any wires I am good to go.  

That’s the same I was informed. Obviously, warranty will not cover aftermarket equipment, but that is fine, wetsounds comes w 2 year warranty 😎

Brandonloos21
8 hours ago, dwc032 said:

How do you plan to wire the 4 icons? Obviously they’re going to be in parallel one pair per channel? But where are you going to make the solders to connect the other can per side?

31 minutes ago, Brandonloos21 said:

How do you plan to wire the 4 icons? Obviously they’re going to be in parallel one pair per channel? But where are you going to make the solders to connect the other can per side?

I had the dealer wire up the other set of Icon 8s when it was there getting some warranty work done. The tower was prewired for a second set when it left the factory so it was an easy install for them. Icons are being powered by the SYNDX2 now.  I know the SYN 2.3 is way over kill for the Icons, but they will be tuned very conservative.  

• Thanks 1

My boat has been sitting at the dealer since November (waiting to take delivery until spring) but do you have to buy a two G5 tower adapters if you are running two sets?  That is, they don't make a double right?  I haven't seen the G5 in person.  I'm stuck between two sets of ICONs and one set of REV10s.  One set of 10's is cheaper, but prefer the sound of ICON since we just use it for hanging out.  Great build!

Brandonloos21
9 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

My boat has been sitting at the dealer since November (waiting to take delivery until spring) but do you have to buy a two G5 tower adapters if you are running two sets?  That is, they don't make a double right?  I haven't seen the G5 in person.  I'm stuck between two sets of ICONs and one set of REV10s.  One set of 10's is cheaper, but prefer the sound of ICON since we just use it for hanging out.  Great build!

Thankyou! From what I believe you do have to buy two sets. Each pair is for one left and one right piece. 

11 hours ago, pauley71 said:

The Icons are a really warm sounding speaker and not ear piercing.  I know everyone loves the Revs, but like I posted before they just not for me.  

• Like 1
Brandonloos21
15 hours ago, dwc032 said:

The Icons are a really warm sounding speaker and not ear piercing.  I know everyone loves the Revs, but like I posted before they just not for me.  

Only if wetsounds made 10” non HLCD towers. Those things would jam. 

Comparing an 8" coaxial to an 8" HLCD, there is definitely a difference in mid-bass to tweeter balance. However, the gap is greatly narrowed when you compare an 8" coaxial to, say, a 10" or 11" HLCD. The added mid-bass surface makes a huge difference in balance and warmth. Worth considering, but best if you can get a side x side demo. 

• Like 1
Brandonloos21

Made the cabin speaker wire plug today. Was tedious and a PITA. The pins did not like going through, and it took me roughly an hour... Here are the results.. the final photo is the exile audio plugs too. Tower amp plug and cabin speaker plug from left to right. (If the one I made doesn’t work, all I can say is I’m going to be really upset lol)spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

On 2/19/2021 at 1:49 PM, Brandonloos21 said:

Only if wetsounds made 10” non HLCD towers. Those things would jam. 

I talked to Tim @ Wet Sounds in mid 2017 and they were planning on putting that Revo 10" into a pod for the tower, but just hadn't gotten there yet. He told me not to wait on it as I was doing a stereo build that year, but that it was coming and they were testing it. I'm guessing they abandoned it as they've added so many other products in the meantime. Too bad, because that's what I'd buy for my 2021 boat.

• Like 1