Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to lower your Extreme Trailer

woody

You are right on. Lowering a trailer has the same down side to a lowered car. You can and will scrape more often when the road changes pitch drastically.

To be honest I scrape less w/ my Extreme w/ the lowered option than I did w/ my SBT at regular height both tandem and same length. I find I drive the same no matter the height anyway.

• 1 year later...

im contemplating clocking the other direction i have a 14' door on my shop so no issues i wanted to run 17" rims and 31s to match the lifted appearance of my truck. i figured it may hurt loading and unloading with a taller trailer.

im contemplating clocking the other direction i have a 14' door on my shop so no issues i wanted to run 17" rims and 31s to match the lifted appearance of my truck. i figured it may hurt loading and unloading with a taller trailer.

Gonna "donk" it out huh? Post some pics when done..

going to take a look this week, i need to be able to run method or bmf wheels and more
aggressive tires just for the look. was also contemplating a storage box for the front of the trailer for the cover/trasom tie downs

• 5 months later...

I'm trying to do the opposite and raise my extreme trailer a little. Any advice on getting that spindle nut free? I have a 18" ratchet and can't get it to budge. I mean my only guess is get a bigger wrench to add more torque. Any other suggestions?

Thank You, it did finally come loose, wow that thing is super tight. Now I'm running into the problem that the spindle is not coming off the axle so I can re-adjust it. I tried using a crow bar and it doesn't really catch very well, it is a tight fit. I tried for a solid 1.5 hours. I think I may have to break down and go to a trailer place unless one of you has a good idea. I just want to adjust it like 2 notches

• 2 months later...

Rent a bearing puller from your auto part store. That's what I did.

I had to remove mine last summer to replace axles.( had been on there 7 years ) Used about a 4 lb maul and sprayed heavily with PB Blaster the day before. Takes some heavy hits to get them moving but they will eventually.

Bearing puller will work to if you want to make the trip, or don' have a large hammer. regular hammer is not going to work, I tried it.

The procedure should be the same on any torsion axle trailer.

Not all. Prior to going to UFP components Mastercraft trailing arms were fixed.

Thank You, it did finally come loose, wow that thing is super tight. Now I'm running into the problem that the spindle is not coming off the axle so I can re-adjust it. I tried using a crow bar and it doesn't really catch very well, it is a tight fit. I tried for a solid 1.5 hours. I think I may have to break down and go to a trailer place unless one of you has a good idea. I just want to adjust it like 2 notches

Do as suggested elsewhere use a bearing puller or alternatively prise open the halves with a wedge.

• 10 months later...

Has anybody established the correct torque for the spindle bolt ? Given its importance I have a feeling in my bones there would be a correct torque that would be worth knowing.... :unsure:

I'll answer my own question ;)

Boatmate (mine is not an Extreme) kindly tell me the pinch bolt as it apparently correctly termed should be torqued to 150 ft lbs

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

My boatmate is torsion axel and I have 10 inch clearance under the prop guard, 11.5 inches under the axel at the frame and 20 inches under the side rail frame itself. I'd like to lower it to help me launch at the ramp and to get under my shed with it while the tower is up. I have about 3 to 4 inches of space at the tire top and fender. How much can I lower it before the frame or prop guard starts scrubbing or what is typical clearance? I'd like to just have to do this once.

I have mine lowered to 2.5" - never had a problem myself.... that said, here's what Boatmate told me :

"I don't recommend running it at the present setting of 2.5". Sooner or later, you'll get the tire into the fender.

We set them up with 4" to 4.5" of clearance when new (4" would be sufficient on a boat as light as the Response). The suspension will settle about 3/4" over time. This will allow a permanent clearance of +3"

Cheers

Andrew

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...