Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Cover under $500? Echelon LX

DOJOLOACH2

13 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Not sure what you are using for closure materials, but I'd consider neoprene with velcro.  

I'll take a look at it. I was thinking to just cut up pieces from the old cover to stich onto the velcro I bought. Neoprene is probably cheaper than buying a $30 yard of sunbrella 

I forgot what it's called but I purchased a foam tape and 7/8" wide fabric "centerfold" that I'll sew around the cuts to prevent ripping.

For the cinch rope I'll use a couple rope ratchet on each side of the tower. I plan to make pockets for the ratchets to prevent gelcoat damage

Edited by DOJOLOACH2
20 minutes ago, DOJOLOACH2 said:

For the cinch rope I'll use a couple rope ratchet on each side of the tower. I plan to make pockets for the ratchets to prevent gelcoat damage

I'd use hooks to connect around the tower legs.  Adding more ratchets is bound to create problems.  Something like 447.Jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Little updated review on the westland cover. I installed a hangtyte on the cover as far back as i thought was ok to strain the cover and after our first heavy raim from Eta, no pooling!

At this point it probably isn't necessary to cut hole for the tower legs, but i need another project so....

20201111_072520.jpg

If it helps as you are planning your cutouts, here is a picture of the tower cutouts on my Westland cover.  Also, my tightening cable has two points where is disconnects, one on each side where the ratcheting is located.

A70726B7-A9C1-43C2-BA8B-18AD8F70A57C.jpeg

FB9A5214-56EC-44CB-9000-7393291A47E5.jpeg

F0D8C260-796E-47D4-A9F8-12445AC84D6D.jpeg

I would highly recommend not tarping over the cover.  I put a tarp over mine and had mildew starting to form when I pulled everything to inspect a few months in.  I tried this two years in a row, even adding vents to the tarp and putting in big buckets of moisture absorbing granuals.  Both times had issues.  

Last year I pressure washed my sunbrella cover, resealed it with a gallon of the impregnating water repeller from sunbrite.  Then I put two boat cover air vents in the cover compatible with "tenting poles".  I didn't do anything else other than knock of snow when it built up.  

Zero water intrusion over the winter, dry as a bone - zero mildew, etc.  The cloth breathes far better if not covered.

Edited by Pra4sno
22 hours ago, cla10beck said:

If it helps as you are planning your cutouts, here is a picture of the tower cutouts on my Westland cover.  Also, my tightening cable has two points where is disconnects, one on each side where the ratcheting is located.

A70726B7-A9C1-43C2-BA8B-18AD8F70A57C.jpeg

FB9A5214-56EC-44CB-9000-7393291A47E5.jpeg

F0D8C260-796E-47D4-A9F8-12445AC84D6D.jpeg

Looks nice, do you have any closeups of the tower mount holes in the cover? I'm going to try and measure the front holes by going from the tip of bow along the rubrail, then cut exactly perpendicular to the bottom seam that the rope runs through. From your picture it looks like the tightening strap is relatively parallel to the rubrail

I added 2 vents to my cover and run a small fan under the cover all the time.   My boat is on a lift so don't know how practical the fan would be on a trailered boat.   No mildew.

13 hours ago, Harry B said:

I added 2 vents to my cover and run a small fan under the cover all the time.   My boat is on a lift so don't know how practical the fan would be on a trailered boat.   No mildew.

Maybe i should do that too, boat sits in my driveway. 

These are what I used - threw two of them in.  Have had no need for a fan as long as everything is properly tented and the material is breathing well.  We experience significant temperature swings (30 degrees +/- is the norm) all year round.  The adjustable poles are nice to set tension as over the winter the fabric on my cover seems to stretch a bit. 

https://www.amazon.com/Vico-Marine-Support-Pole-39/dp/B010CEF7EC/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=boat+cover+vent&qid=1605327812&sr=8-6

Edited by Pra4sno